+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Transferring money prior to landing

sibnadian

Feb 2, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Originally posted in someone's thread but decided to open up my own.

Do you know how a newcomer (a sponsored spouse) can bring money via bank transfer before landing?
We were not able to open a bank account for him because he doesn't currently live in Canada. We will only able to do so after landing.

But! We wanted to sell the house in his country and transfer money prior to landing.
So here are the questions, everyone:

1. If he transfers to my (sponsor's and his wife's) account, will CRA have any questions to me?
Or can I explain that it was my husband's money who did not have an account in Canada prior to landing (we will have all the docs)?

2. Does he need to declare anything at landing if wire-transferred to an account?

3. Any other thoughts on how to do it? We would rather not carry cash (especially leaving from his country of origin as it may not be particularly safe).

Thanks everyone!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Originally posted in someone's thread but decided to open up my own.

Do you know how a newcomer (a sponsored spouse) can bring money via bank transfer before landing?
We were not able to open a bank account for him because he doesn't currently live in Canada. We will only able to do so after landing.

But! We wanted to sell the house in his country and transfer money prior to landing.
So here are the questions, everyone:

1. If he transfers to my (sponsor's and his wife's) account, will CRA have any questions to me?
Or can I explain that it was my husband's money who did not have an account in Canada prior to landing (we will have all the docs)?

2. Does he need to declare anything at landing if wire-transferred to an account?

3. Any other thoughts on how to do it? We would rather not carry cash (especially leaving from his country of origin as it may not be particularly safe).

Thanks everyone!
1. If CRA asks, you can show the proof that it was your husband's money and the source of the funds.

2. No.

sibnadian

Feb 2, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. If CRA asks, you can show the proof that it was your husband's money and the source of the funds.

2. No.
Thank you, canuck_in_uk.
I tried searching CRA but couldn't find any of that.
But makes sense.