+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Transferring $120k. Getting the best exchange rate & using ISAs/TFSA

am2000

Mar 1, 2013
I was speaking to a friend who has successfully emigrated to Canada for advice on transferring assets once a visa is issued and they recommended I turn to this forum. I am a little bit wiser after going through various threads but still have a few questions and would value the opinions of anyone who has given these things any thought. Sorry this is quite long, I just thought it better to give more info now, then lots of replies back and forth.

Background: I am British, my wife is Canadian (living in Quebec in case that makes any difference). In preparation for the big move out to Canada I have recently sold my company $70k and have another $50k in cash/shares ISAs. I also have never owned a house. All going well I should be a Canadian permanent resident in the next few months. I am looking to transfer all my money to Canada, if this is sensible? And in the next few years probably buy our first house - once prices hopefully come down a bit ;) BTW I don’t plan on landing with $10k cash in my pockets like some people, the transfer would be electronic.

We are keeping a close eye on exchange rates and believe that the £ is likely to go down in value against the $CAD over the next few months - although we realise it's very volatile.

With that in mind, my questions are as follows:
1)If I keep my ISAs (I understand I cannot contribute further once I’ve left the UK) would I have to declare and pay tax in Canada on the continuing tax free interest accruing in my old ISA?
2)Once I become a permanent resident can I open a TFSA and use the past 5 years’ allowances (I read somewhere you can go back 5 years)?
3)How does one get the best exchange rate (I’m willing to open new bank accounts if required)?
4)Can I open a Canadian bank account of my own before I have my permanent residency?
5)If so, can I transfer money to this new bank account of mine before I get my residency?
6)Can I transfer the money to my wife until I have my own bank account?
7)Does anyone know of any vehicle to hold $CAD dollars in the UK other than a $CAD ETF?
8)Did others worrying about exchange rates, transfer everything in one go? Or did they do it gradually?

Thanks to anyone who's made it to the end of the post and has any ideas. :D

seton

Jun 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-06-2012
AOR Received.
05-11-2012
Med's Request
15-02-2013
Med's Done....
21-02-2013
Passport Req..
04-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2013
LANDED..........
03-05-2013
I'll take a stab at answering what I can:

am2000 said:
1)If I keep my ISAs (I understand I cannot contribute further once I've left the UK) would I have to declare and pay tax in Canada on the continuing tax free interest accruing in my old ISA?
Once you're a Canadian resident, your worldwide income is taxed (generally regardless of its tax situation in the country). I'm not familiar with UK ISAs - if the situation were reversed, your TSFA would remain in place (without increasing contribution room) and you would be subject to whatever tax laws are in your new country.

2)Once I become a permanent resident can I open a TFSA and use the past 5 years' allowances (I read somewhere you can go back 5 years)?
No - you will start earning contribution room when you get your Canadian SIN after you land. You won't get anything retroactively.

3)How does one get the best exchange rate (I'm willing to open new bank accounts if required)?
Usually through a brokerage house or negotiating with a bank. The more you convert, the better rate you will get.

4)Can I open a Canadian bank account of my own before I have my permanent residency?
If you are in Canada, you generally can with a work permit/visa. You need to have some residency in Canada to have a true Canadian account. There are some exceptions with Canadian banks with foreign locations.

6)Can I transfer the money to my wife until I have my own bank account?
You can - but there will be a tax impact on any interest accrued from this. The interest will technically by income for you, which can get complicated. There are options such as contributing to her RRSP - consult a tax planner.

7)Does anyone know of any vehicle to hold $CAD dollars in the UK other than a $CAD ETF?
I'm sure HSBC has options.

8)Did others worrying about exchange rates, transfer everything in one go? Or did they do it gradually?
You can get the best rates with larger transfers. Currency conversion is inherently risky when you try to time it (much like betting on the stock market).

am2000

Mar 1, 2013
Thank you so much for your answers Seton

It seems I need to go away and do a bit more homework, nothing’s ever simple ;)

You got me thinking about one thing though, Question 6. Instead of transferring to my wife’s RRSP and complicating matters with regards to contributions and tax deductions etc, could I simply transfer some money to my wife’s TFSA (she has years of contributions that she hasn’t used)?

And does it start looking dodgy/fraudulent transferring large amounts of money into my wife’s name then transferring it back once I have my own account, or even back into a joint account once we’re settled? I.e. Would the tax man see this as a gift one way and then a gift back? Or as a married couple is our collective money simply ours to divide how we please?

Once again thank you for your help already.

am2000

Mar 1, 2013
Also I was going to give you a +1 but I can't find anywhere to do this...am I missing something obvious? :eek:

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
am2000 said:
Also I was going to give you a +1 but I can't find anywhere to do this...am I missing something obvious? :eek:
You are a newbie. Wait until your status become "member" I guess. :)