+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Transfer US Social Security checks to Canada?

Benni

Oct 22, 2013
Newfoundland
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-04-2014
AOR Received.
27-06-2014
Med's Done....
12-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2014
LANDED..........
20-11-2014
No replies??? Help me out here, please.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
I just hopped into this thread again after a few years. I would like to point out that all of you folks having issues with getting SS to direct deposit into your Canadian account; the routing/transit and account information are NOT compatible. Take a look at your banking information (if you still have any) from the US. Then compare it to your banking information for Canada. That is likely a HUGE issue when it comes to something seemingly as simple as getting your money direct deposit. Remember, the folks at the Social Security Administration are in the US. They don't know what your Canadian banking information looks like and if you show them a check from it, they can't see what they need because they aren't the same.

I maintain my previous statement regarding RBC cross border banking. Anything I need to do in regards to the US, I transfer money back and forth between my Canadian/US accounts. I am charged $3.95 monthly to maintain my US account if I don't use it at all. Based on all of the bad experiences I am reading here, sounds like it would be worth it for many of you.

mtvand

Jan 23, 2019
I have been receiving SS via direct deposit to my Scotia canadian acct for 10 years. As I now spent a couple months a year in the US I want to set up a US savings acct at Scotia to avoid the exchange rates. Right now Scotia converts the SS into Canadian funds and then I use ATM's in the US for US dollars thus costing me another conversion fee. So here is the question. Do I just complete form SSA-1199-CN? There is no mention on this form to cancel the current account. I'm not sure if its straight forward. I could call their 1-800-772-1213 as we are 6 hours to the nearest US SS office in Washington state. Any advice would be appreciated!

Mswalleye

Jul 17, 2019
My husband starts social security this Fall and I am trying to figure out whether to direct deposit to our US account or our Canadian account. When I want to move money from the US to Canada I go through VBCE out of Vancouver .. currency trader. I set up an account and transfer at will .. anything over $10000 you need to call them. There is no fee .. although they get their money somehow. The rate is much better than the bank. ie .. friend from florida wanted me to deposit $2500 US into his CIBC account in Canada in May. He sent his blank chq. I called CIBC for rate, then went on VBCE to see what their rate was and it was a difference of $80.00 !! I deposited his cheque into my US account, transferred it to my account via VBCE to my credit union and then wrote a cheque for the value minus $50 to be deposited in his CIBC account ... He was $30 bucks ahead of CIBC rate, I was $50 ahead :)

After reading about the frustrations with direct deposit to Canada maybe this is a solution.... direct deposit to USA account and then VBCE it to our account in Canada .. or not if it is needed down there???

Not sure if I am overlooking something but it is a solution that puts more dollars in your pocket.

I think it takes a couple days though to get into your account, a week if it is over $10000.

Ava51

Apr 16, 2020
Has anyone tried opening a US account with their Canadian bank and filling out and mailing the SSA-1199CN form? Looking to see if it works for anyone who has tried it.