+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Transfer job while under LMIA contract

Discussion in 'Finding Work in Canada' started by jhedz917, Oct 11, 2017.

  1. Hi,

    May I seek for help here? I come over to Canada with a 2 year contract from my employer under a LMIA. However, things didnt go smoothly that I have to transfer job. What are the risks? would I still be able to get a job?

    If my ex-employer cancels my LMIA with them, am I now considered as a person with visit pass?

    Thanks in advance for the reply.
  2. You can leave your job and remain in Canada as long as your work permit is valid. Your employer cannot force you to return home.

    However you cannot work for a new employer until you get a new work permit. To get a new work permit, your new employer will have to obtain a new approved LMIA and then you will have to apply for a new closed work permit linked to your new employer.

    In other words, you cannot use the work permit you have now to work for a different employer.
  3. Can we travel out of country and enter country again on old work permit in above case?
  4. Unfortunately there's no clear-cut answer to that question. Generally - yes. However we've seen one or two instances where people have run into issues re-entering Canada because CBSA has contacted their employer and found out that they are no longer employed.

Share This Page