Montreal, Canada
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
27-08-2014
Hi,

I have just started with Concordia University (Masters program). I have heard students transferring to McGill but is a transfer possible to a university in a different province, say Ontario?

Also, is it necessary for me to apply to a related program wherein credits can be transferred?

Thanks for your help in advance :)

usman_14pk

Champion Member
Jan 29, 2013
Serendipity14 said:
Hi,

I have just started with Concordia University (Masters program). I have heard students transferring to McGill but is a transfer possible to a university in a different province, say Ontario?

Also, is it necessary for me to apply to a related program wherein credits can be transferred?

Thanks for your help in advance :)
If there is no condition is specified on your Study Permit paper then you are free to transfer to some other school in different province but don't forget to update this change in your MyCIC account.

Serendipity14

Star Member
Feb 7, 2014
Montreal, Canada
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
27-08-2014
usman_14pk said:
If there is no condition is specified on your Study Permit paper then you are free to transfer to some other school in different province but don't forget to update this change in your MyCIC account.
Can you please explain when you say "condition".

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
Serendipity14 said:
Can you please explain when you say "condition".
its very simple go read ur study permit if it has a restriction / condition written on it about attending a specific university then u cant change without getting an approval....most of the time there is no such condition. Also u will need admission to the new university and u will have to check with ur new university about transfer of credits and if its possible,

Serendipity14

Star Member
Feb 7, 2014
Montreal, Canada
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
27-08-2014
mead said:
its very simple go read ur study permit if it has a restriction / condition written on it about attending a specific university then u cant change without getting an approval....most of the time there is no such condition. Also u will need admission to the new university and u will have to check with ur new university about transfer of credits and if its possible,
Alright. Just read my study permit once again. There is no such condition. About the credit transfer. What happens if in case:
1. credits are transferable
2. credits are not transferable

Also, is transfer possible after first semester?

Thanks for the input :)

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
Serendipity14 said:
Alright. Just read my study permit once again. There is no such condition. About the credit transfer. What happens if in case:
1. credits are transferable
2. credits are not transferable

Also, is transfer possible after first semester?

Thanks for the input :)
u should ask about credits transfer to ur new university ....I am not sure if u know what credit transfer is....
it means if u get credits transferred u wont have to do all the courses in ur new university. If the credits r not transferred then u have to take all the courses/credits in ur new university and pay for them. Again u can transfer anytime if u have admission only fact remains ,will all of ur credits that u have taken in the old university be transferred to the new university or not. ru getting the point? lets say u have completed 3 courses in concordia which i believe is 12 credits then if none r transferred u start the new university with 0 credits but is lets say 8 out of 12 r transferred then u start new university with 8 credits already completed that is 2 less courses give or take.

Serendipity14

Star Member
Feb 7, 2014
Montreal, Canada
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
27-08-2014
mead said:
u should ask about credits transfer to ur new university ....I am not sure if u know what credit transfer is....
it means if u get credits transferred u wont have to do all the courses in ur new university. If the credits r not transferred then u have to take all the courses/credits in ur new university and pay for them. Again u can transfer anytime if u have admission only fact remains ,will all of ur credits that u have taken in the old university be transferred to the new university or not. ru getting the point? lets say u have completed 3 courses in concordia which i believe is 12 credits then if none r transferred u start the new university with 0 credits but is lets say 8 out of 12 r transferred then u start new university with 8 credits already completed that is 2 less courses give or take.
Thanks for clarification. I do understand the credit transfer mechanism. What I wanted to know was if in case partial credits are transferred or no credits are transferred then will my study permit be extended or do I have to complete the course in remaining duration?

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
Serendipity14 said:
Thanks for clarification. I do understand the credit transfer mechanism. What I wanted to know was if in case partial credits are transferred or no credits are transferred then will my study permit be extended or do I have to complete the course in remaining duration?
credit transfer has nothing to do with ur study permit extension .......if u can finish ur program in the time limit on ur study permit fine or else u have to extend it. how many credits that can get transferred and how much time u can save or not save those calculation can only be done by u. u have to plan by when u want to graduate depending on how many courses u have to take and if u cant complete them in time u extend ur study permit.

Serendipity14

Star Member
Feb 7, 2014
Montreal, Canada
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
27-08-2014
mead said:
credit transfer has nothing to do with ur study permit extension .......if u can finish ur program in the time limit on ur study permit fine or else u have to extend it. how many credits that can get transferred and how much time u can save or not save those calculation can only be done by u. u have to plan by when u want to graduate depending on how many courses u have to take and if u cant complete them in time u extend ur study permit.
Alright! Thank you for clarifying the same :)