+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Transfer at Vancouver airport

Sep 7, 2018
Hi, after 10 years living in Canada I was deported to my home country of Mexico
Now I want to do a south Asian backpacking tour but the cheapest airplane tickets do a transfer on Vancouver airport
I tried to apply for an ETA but it was obviously denied, now my question is if I buy that cheap airplane ticket will Canadian immigration prevent me from making the transfer from one plane to the other at Vancouver airport?
Thanks

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
You cannot transit through Canada without an ETA or a valid visa. Since your ETA was denied, you can safely assume you won't get a transit visa either, and you should not try to fly through Canada.

You will very probably not be allowed to board your flight in Mexico itself. The airline will need to see an ETA/visa before they let you board.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Now I want to do a south Asian backpacking tour but the cheapest airplane tickets do a transfer on Vancouver airport
I tried to apply for an ETA but it was obviously denied, now my question is if I buy that cheap airplane ticket will Canadian immigration prevent me from making the transfer from one plane to the other at Vancouver airport?
Thanks
You will not even be allowed to board the plane to Canada. Change your plans.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks
As others have said, change your plans and take a different flight. You cannot transit through Canada without a valid eTA. You won't be allowed to board the airplane to come here (the airline will stop boarding since you won't have the required documents). So it's not that you will be stopped from transiting from one plane to another once in Canada - you won't even get to Canada.

Since you were deported, you need to go through the ARC process in order to be able to return to Canada and qualify again for an eTA. The ARC process generally takes a number of months to process and can sometimes drag out to a year. Even with an approved ARC, there's no guarantee the eTA will be approved - it will depend on the details of your 10 year stay in Canada (i.e. what you were deported, how long ago this was, if and how long you were in Canada without status). If you were deported based on a failed asylum claim - there's really zero chance the eTA is going to be approved even with an approved ARC. Changing your plans is the best and likely only option.

Last edited: