+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traffic tickets in USA and its impact on Canadian driving record

Sajid3157

Sep 13, 2012
Hi,

I have been residing in Canada as permanent resident and living in Mississauga since April, 2017. I have Ontario G license issued in November, 2017.

I went to New York, USA with family (wife + 4 year old daughter) by car during long weekend (5-9 October). While coming back on 9th October, I received 2 tickets at same time (Overspeeding for 74 mph in 55 mph work zone + Child not wearing shoulder straps in her childseat although she was wearing the straps on waist) by a police officer in NY state highway which is some 150 Kms away from Canadian border.

In both tickets, there are 2 options to choose- Plea of guilty and Plea of not guilty. I have to choose anyone of these options and send it back to the court address for them to decide for further action. If I choose plea for guilty, the court will decide the penalty charged amount in US $ + demerit points. On the other hand, if I choose plea for not guilty, the court would send me the hearing date.

Anyone, please advise if there could be immediate negative impact of these US issued tickets on my Canadian driving record. If so, what would be the best way to tackle with this situation which could be plea for guilty or plea for non guilty or hire a lawyer?

jcum27

Oct 12, 2018
Hi,

I have been residing in Canada as permanent resident and living in Mississauga since April, 2017. I have Ontario G license issued in November, 2017.

I went to New York, USA with family (wife + 4 year old daughter) by car during long weekend (5-9 October). While coming back on 9th October, I received 2 tickets at same time (Overspeeding for 74 mph in 55 mph work zone + Child not wearing shoulder straps in her childseat although she was wearing the straps on waist) by a police officer in NY state highway which is some 150 Kms away from Canadian border.

In both tickets, there are 2 options to choose- Plea of guilty and Plea of not guilty. I have to choose anyone of these options and send it back to the court address for them to decide for further action. If I choose plea for guilty, the court will decide the penalty charged amount in US $ + demerit points. On the other hand, if I choose plea for not guilty, the court would send me the hearing date.

Anyone, please advise if there could be immediate negative impact of these US issued tickets on my Canadian driving record. If so, what would be the best way to tackle with this situation which could be plea for guilty or plea for non guilty or hire a lawyer?
New York reports traffic violations to Ontario and it will appear on your driving record and count for demerit points. I am not sure what other states have the same setup, but from personal experience I can assure you that New York does.

I had a speeding ticket and they do not tell you the fine until after you plead guilty. It was around $200. If it was closer to the border I would have gone to a hearing, but didn't think it was worth my time or expenses to go back.

Last edited:

Sajid3157

Sep 13, 2012
Thanks alot jcum27.

Please let me know if you took the services of any lawyer or you entered plea for guilty by yourself and then received fine information and settled it.

jcum27

Oct 12, 2018
No I just plead guilty...I was. The cop was really sympathetic but said I was just going too fast to let it go. He said if I went to court I could probably get it reduced but $75 in gas and a hotel overnight made told me not to. My driving record was clean so that wasn't an issue.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
New York reports traffic violations to Ontario and it will appear on your driving record and count for demerit points. I am not sure what other states have the same setup, but from personal experience I can assure you that New York does.
Michigan also. NY, MI, and ON all share info from what I understand

its_msg_25

Sep 18, 2018
United States of America
AOR Received.
07-08-2018
Med's Done....
28-08-2018
Quick question.
I am from USA, moving to Canada in a month. I ordered Abstract Record (experience more than 3 years) from Texas DPS for exchange. I have a speeding ticket on my Drivers License (TEXAS). Will that ticket appear on my Canada Drivers License (Ontario) if I exchange ?

Thanks.

NZ_ozzie

Sep 4, 2018
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
10-11-2018
Doc's Request.
11-12-2018
AOR Received.
10-11-2018
Med's Done....
11-12-2018
VISA ISSUED...
05-06-2019
Quick question.
I am from USA, moving to Canada in a month. I ordered Abstract Record (experience more than 3 years) from Texas DPS for exchange. I have a speeding ticket on my Drivers License (TEXAS). Will that ticket appear on my Canada Drivers License (Ontario) if I exchange ?

Thanks.
Hey How did you go with the exchange ? I have few demerit points on my Australian license and was wondering if it would cause any issues when exchanging license...

packetintransit

Star Member
Feb 19, 2019
Hey Lads,

I also have speeding and parking ticket in USA/Hawaii which i already paid.... but i am moving to Canada next month. Not US Citizen/ have been working here on work visa....

wondering these would prevent me from obtaining Alberta Driving license?

Mars18

Apr 21, 2020
Hi everyone, I got NY speeding ticket on my US driving license, but now I am in Toronto, Canada and would like to exchange my US license to Canadian one. I am not sure if I have to plea guilty or not guilty for the ticket or to hire a lawyer. I talked to a couple of lawyers who said they will charge me the lowest for US$ 600. Can anyone help with their experience please? Thank you.