+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Trade work experience and education

Cobraneill

Jun 5, 2020
Hey guys. New to the forum.

I am currently working under an IEC visa and have decided to try and make it permanent. Originally from the UK, I have worked the majority of my adult life in retail, however I did work for around 18 months for an electricity distribution network back in England, to which I have a certificate for.

Now I am in Canada, I am back to working retail as a supervisor and would like to immigrate using the CEC, however the trade experience and certificate (according to the points calculator on the cic website) are worth additional points which will make me eligible under express entry.

I can't find anywhere at all that will assess trade certification. All of the options on the CIC website for education assessment state they don't evaluate trades, so who do I use? Also, what would I need to prove my experience in this field? I have no intention of going back into this field just now. Its just for PR purposes.

My current occupation is an NOC B, but the 12 months experience alone doesn't give me enough points without my prior experience in the electricity industry. What do I need to do next?

Cobraneill

Jun 5, 2020
Thanks for the prompt reply.

From my initial review of the points calculator, without this experience I sit at 392 points, as my education will stop at high school in my country of birth. Judging by previous CEC rounds of invitation it seems to sit around 470 (the exception being May's draw at 440.)

Adding the above experience will leave me with 480 points. More than enough to immigrate. How would you suggest increasing points whilst I'm here?

Cobraneill

Jun 5, 2020
Yeah im a native speaker and have put the highest scores for language.

This is where it may become tricky for me. By the end of the work permit I will have the required experience in an NOC B due to my supervisory role, however my visa doesn't allow me to attend a school or training course which under normal circumstances last for more than 6 months on a full time basis. This also includes crash courses which take less time due to intense schooling. I can apply for a study permit, however they then cap my work allowance at 20 hours a week I believe?

The AINP also wouldn't apply due to my contract being part time, even though I'm doing full time hours.

Reason I am mentioning all of this is incase I am misinterpreting the requirements. If I am wrong Im happy to be corrected.

Cobraneill

Jun 5, 2020
With the work experience but no qualification I have 392 points. Still shy of the mark it seems.

Sobering thought for sure.

If i were to apply for a study permit at the end of my work permit, I would still be classed as an international student even though I would be physically present in a Canadian university, correct? I did notice courses are significantly more expensive for international students which I would have to factor in to my decision going forward, but I wasn't sure if the costs were associated with distance learning or whether it applies for everyone who isn't native.