+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tracker analysis: processing time to PPR

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I'm providing this for info for others as I looked at the tracker data for 2019. I was thinking of doing some more complicated data analysis but after looking at the data there, decided against it (described below why). I hope it's helpful.

All I took for this was month of submission and number of months to receipt of PPR. The way to read this chart is that it is number of months since submission as of January 15, 2020. The months number corresponds to month of submission in reverse order (therefore December is one month, January is 12 months, and all in between, counting backwards from December).

The percent figure refers to the number of applications that have proceeded to PPR.

What does this tell us? I have three main conclusions:
1) About one-half of the files get to PPR at approximately six months. This is basically the 'median' applicant.
2) As many as perhaps one-quarter get to PPR in about four months, so a lot of files are moving forward in months three to six.
3) Approximately 80% get to PPR stage by about 12 months. Or, about one in every five applications gets delayed beyond a year. I have no idea how long things take after the one year mark.

Now: this does NOT mean that you have a 50-50 chance of getting approved in six months. It is not a random process; files are sent to more intensive processing and checking (including background and security) for reasons. I'm providing this breakdown because it may help get a sense of what would be fast/slow compared to the median. (A perfectly honest applicant would probably have a good idea if their file is 'complex', has red flags, or other factors that might require more checking, but most of us find it hard to be perfectly honest about ourselves).

And: I don't think 'average' figures as reported in the tracker are very meaningful. That's not a criticism, I just think the info above is useful (or I hope so).

I'm less comfortable about making other generalizations, but also about two-thirds of applications get to PPR in about 9-10 months. There are 'blips' in the data like January 19 figures being worse than February; I have no info to explain this or other small blips.

Some brief notes:
1) This is ONLY based upon the tracker data which may not be representative in any way and very different from 'all applicants'. I've made a whole bunch of assumptions here I'm not going to defend, like the processing of applications didn't change during the year, every month is representative, etc. If you don't like the simplifying assumptions I made, the tracker spreadsheets are there to play with.
2) I decided to look at PPR completion rates first and foremost. Why? For several reasons, mainly that it is one of the most important steps, seems to be consistently reported by most tracker participants, and (from glancing at) the subsequent steps such as receiving the passport etc seem to usually be small waiting periods and completion rates not noticeably different. Also, many tracker participants don't seem to receive AOR2.

Warning: please don't jump to rapid conclusions about what's happening to your file, whose files are getting treated faster than others, etc. Especially don't conclude that country trends tht you might get impressions about from the tracker are accurate - we do not know whether forum participants here are representative of 'average' family applicants, and almost certainly they are not (English language a big factor).

Anyway, hope this is useful, comments welcome, but keep in mind I'm not a tracker guru; any mistakes in analysis are mine, but I'm not going to be able to spend a lot of time re-doing analysis or charts or defending what the data and this simple analysis says.

Reactions: StellaArtois

A@N

Jan 14, 2020
Thanks Armoured!
I came to similar conclusions when looking at the tracker spreadsheets. But you’ve presented it in a very clear way. And I agree, while the info is useful, I think we should all take it with a grain of salt.

Reactions: armoured

Bigkojo

Feb 3, 2020
My estimated time and progress bar says 12 weeks and 78% respectively . What does it mean? How soon should I expect my PPR.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My estimated time and progress bar says 12 weeks and 78% respectively . What does it mean? How soon should I expect my PPR.
It means almost nothing - only that 78% of the nominal 12 months they call 'normal processing time' has passed. (i.e. 52 weeks minus 12 weeks remaining is 40, and 40/52 = 77%.) That is literally all that the progress bar means (at this point in time anyway).

So unfortunately no-one can tell you when to expect. As I wrote above, they do seem to actually complete processing about 80% of files in 12 months - but another 20% they do not.

Bigkojo

Feb 3, 2020
Details about your application status

Review of eligibility - Review of eligibility
  • We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements.
Review of medical results - Review of medical results
  • October 5, 2019 You passed the medical exam.
Review of additional documentsHelp - Review of additional documents
  • Not applicable.
Interview - Interview
  • You do not need an interview. We will send you a message if this changes.
Biometrics - Biometrics
  • December 3, 2019 Completed.
Background check - Background check
  • We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information.
Final decision- Final decision
  • Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made. Any help or answer to my current status Armoured ?