+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TR TO PR PATHWAY - MENTAL HEALTH ISSUE (PSYCHIATRIC REPORT)

chiziami

Nov 24, 2020
My mom has submitted the PR application as principal applicant and has added all family members to the PR application. The main issue would be the mental health issue which my sister had during the COVID-19 lockdown, she had depression with psychotic features and was hospitalized for a month last year but prior to this she never had any type of mental health disorder history. She's now stable and takes her medication regularly for management and she's been working for 5 months now.

I was wondering if medical inadmissibility would apply if someone has suffered a mental health disorder due to current circumstances?

Just wondering as we are all a bit worried. Wanted to know if other people in here have applied with mental health issues and if the PR was approved at the end.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My mom has submitted the PR application as principal applicant and has added all family members to the PR application. The main issue would be the mental health issue which my sister had during the COVID-19 lockdown, she had depression with psychotic features and was hospitalized for a month last year but prior to this she never had any type of mental health disorder history. She's now stable and takes her medication regularly for management and she's been working for 5 months now.

I was wondering if medical inadmissibility would apply if someone has suffered a mental health disorder due to current circumstances?

Just wondering as we are all a bit worried. Wanted to know if other people in here have applied with mental health issues and if the PR was approved at the end.
Tough to say. The month long hospitalization is the big issue especially due to the cost. It is quite unusual to have such a long hospitalization in a mental health hospital because of limited space which indicates how severe the condition was. It also looks like she was having a mental health crisis for months before her arrival in Canada based on your TRV applications. This is a fairly unusual situation. 5 months is also not a very long period to determine stability and early adulthood is usually only the start of issues with psychosis. Impossible to say what will happen with their application. Does she have a WP in Canada? As a child of WP holders she isn’t entitled to work and would need to apply for a WP.

Last edited:

chiziami

Nov 24, 2020
Tough to say. The month long hospitalization is the big issue especially due to the cost. It is quite unusual to have such a long hospitalization in a mental health hospital because of limited space which indicates how severe the condition was. It also looks like she was having a mental health crisis for months before her arrival in Canada based on your TRV applications. This is a fairly unusual situation. 5 months is also not a very long period to determine stability and early adulthood is usually only the start of issues with psychosis. Impossible to say what will happen with their application. Does she have a WP in Canada? As a child of WP holders she isn’t entitled to work and would need to apply for a WP.
I think you’re misunderstanding. She’s never had prior mental health history. It was due to lockdown and COVID-19 as she relocated to a different country by herself for University and unfortunately for the reasons mentioned above she wasn’t able to make friends or leave the house and went into crisis. After coming out of the hospital she readjusted to life and started working. She’ll be going back to University next year. She’s able to work and do stuff like before.
Sorry for not being specific, it’s actually been 9 months now from her hospital discharge.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I think you’re misunderstanding. She’s never had prior mental health history. It was due to lockdown and COVID-19 as she relocated to a different country by herself for University and unfortunately for the reasons mentioned above she wasn’t able to make friends or leave the house and went into crisis. After coming out of the hospital she readjusted to life and started working. She’ll be going back to University next year. She’s able to work and do stuff like before.
Sorry for not being specific, it’s actually been 9 months now from her hospital discharge.
You don’t end up in a psych ward for 30 days or being diagnosed with psychosis due to being isolated or homesick. Most serious mental health issues show up in late adolescence or early adulthood so her symptoms showing up during covid is likely just a coincidence. Does she have a WP?

chiziami

Nov 24, 2020
You don’t end up in a psych ward for 30 days or being diagnosed with psychosis due to being isolated or homesick. Most serious mental health issues show up in late adolescence or early adulthood so her symptoms showing up during covid is likely just a coincidence. Does she have a WP?
No she’s just been added to my mom’s application as an accompanying family member as she’s been living in the UK. Its not a coincidence as mentioned before, she had no one to turn to and had no chance to meet other people as she was locked up in the house for three months due to COVID-19 lockdown. She was leading a normal life prior to this and is presently now leading a normal life. The psychiatrist mentioned it was the brief type of psychosis in his report which has remission of 3 months (brief psychosis which can disappear in a brief period of time as easily as it appeared quickly). Another person who wrote in the forum also had the same diagnosis and was also hospitalised but still received his PR. Her issues were due to circumstances at the present time as she’s now leading a normal life working so that’s why I’m confused by your statement.