+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

(TR to PR) 30 hours per week question.

kloppity

Nov 20, 2019
I say that as someone with varying hours on my contract since I started working as a student (<15hrs/week) and transitioned to a worker (15<weekly hours<40) and my total hours worked until May 1st was around 2500.

Actually I made sure my employer wrote the total hours worked on my reference letter in bold font. That was aside submitting T4s for both years I've been with them.

Reactions: Tomican

Neetu78

Apr 27, 2021
They dropped the quotẹ, not missed
I think, workers in Noc C, D is the target of TR2PR-Essential workers stream, not students.
Each stream is aimed at a target, so the conditions are different, although it is easy to think that it is the same at first glance.
Check the tool for TR to PR : https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/trpr/eligibility.asp

Question 1: Are you currently in Canada? ----------------- Say YES
Question 2: Do you have a valid work or study permit?
-- Say YES
Question 3: Are you currently employed?------------------ Say YES
Question 4: Do you plan to live outside of Quebec?------ Say YES
Question 5: Do you have at least 1 year of work experience (at least 1,560 hours) in the past 3 years in an eligible health care occupation? --- Say YES
Question 6: Do you have a total of at least 1 year of work experience (at least 1,560 hours) in the past 3 years working in an eligible essential occupation or in a combination of an eligible essential occupation and an eligible health care occupation? --- Say YES
Question 7: Did you graduate from an eligible program at a designated learning institution (opens in a new tab) on or after January 1, 2017? --- Say YES
Question 8: Have you taken an approved language test to assess your English or French skills? If the test results will be more than 2 years old when you apply, select “No.” --- Say YES
Question 9: What level (opens in a new tab) does it show you scored for reading, writing, speaking and listening (for the Canadian Language Benchmarks or Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens)? Choose your lowest score. --- Say As per the program requirement.
Question 10: Was your language test in English or French? --- --- Say As per the program requirement.

Press the CONTINUE Button.

You will find yourself eligible under all (3) three: Health care, Essential, and as well as International Graduate stream.

Then why this online tool makes a STUDY-PERMIT-HOLDER eligible for all (3) three programs ?

Tomican

Feb 20, 2020
Check the tool for TR to PR : https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/trpr/eligibility.asp

Question 7: Did you graduate from an eligible program at a designated learning institution (opens in a new tab) on or after January 1, 2017? --- Say YES

Press the CONTINUE Button.

You will find yourself eligible under all (3) three: Health care, Essential, and as well as International Graduate stream.

Then why this online tool makes a STUDY-PERMIT-HOLDER eligible for all (3) three programs ?
The #7 make me think, unless graduated (or soon in this summer, SP are waiting for PGWP), students may not eligible. I am not sure :)

Btw, why are they hurry to get students who are studying now? It doesn't make sense. Just my thoughts.

Last edited:

kloppity

Nov 20, 2019
Well because you might qualify even though you are still on a study permit. You might have completed a program of more than two years previously, might have even worked with a PGWP before reapplying for a study permit.

There are different scenerios possible and they have tried to cover as much as possible with that tool. @Neetu78

Neetu78

Apr 27, 2021
The #7 make me think, unless graduated (or soon in this summer, SP are waiting for PGWP), students may not eligible. I am not sure :)
Even if answer NO to question #7 — Still one is eligible under both health care and essential worker stream :)

Neetu78

Apr 27, 2021
Well because you might qualify even though you are still on a study permit. You might have completed a program of more than two years previously, might have even worked with a PGWP before reapplying for a study permit.

There are different scenerios possible and they have tried to cover as much as possible with that tool. @Neetu78
Thank you :)

Neetu78

Apr 27, 2021
Respected members,

After reading -- the program delivery instructions -- recently launched by IRCC for TR to PR.
What's your opinion on this thread ?

Thank you in advance :)

Fabiog

Mar 22, 2017
Respected members,

After reading -- the program delivery instructions -- recently launched by IRCC for TR to PR.
What's your opinion on this thread ?

Thank you in advance :)
We learned that they wont count anything over 30 hours per week .

"The 1 year of work experience can be acquired through multiple periods of employment but must equal at least 1,560 hours in the 3 years before the application for permanent residence is received. Work experience must be acquired over a period of at least 1 year; work in excess of 30 hours per week over a shorter period cannot compensate for any shorter overall period of experience."

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/tr-pr-pathway/assessing.html

however, the following statement "work in excess of 30 hours per week over a shorter period cannot compensate for any shorter overall period of experience

What if I have worked 52 weeks minimum and some weeks I worked over 30 hours? I have not broken the rule that I worked over 30 hours to reach 1560 hours over a shorter period of time.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
We learned that they wont count anything over 30 hours per week .

"The 1 year of work experience can be acquired through multiple periods of employment but must equal at least 1,560 hours in the 3 years before the application for permanent residence is received. Work experience must be acquired over a period of at least 1 year; work in excess of 30 hours per week over a shorter period cannot compensate for any shorter overall period of experience."

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/economic-classes/tr-pr-pathway/assessing.html

however, the following statement "work in excess of 30 hours per week over a shorter period cannot compensate for any shorter overall period of experience

What if I have worked 52 weeks minimum and some weeks I worked over 30 hours? I have not broken the rule that I worked over 30 hours to reach 1560 hours over a shorter period of time.
I'm not sure I understand your question. You have certainly not broken any rules. You can definitely work over 30 hours per week. It's just that those extra hours cannot be used towards the work experience required.

The best way to do the calculation is as follows:

1) For each week where you worked 30 hours or more - count this as 1 week of work experience (doesn't matter if you worked 30 hours or 60 hours or 90 hours)
2) For each week where you worked less than 30 hours - add all of the hours together and then divide by 30

If the two numbers above add up to 52 or more - then you are good.

Reactions: Fabiog

Fabiog

Mar 22, 2017
I'm not sure I understand your question. You have certainly not broken any rules. You can definitely work over 30 hours per week. It's just that those extra hours cannot be used towards the work experience required.

1) For each week where you worked 30 hours or more - count this as 1 week of work experience (doesn't matter if you worked 30 hours or 60 hours or 90 hours)
2) For each week where you worked less than 30 hours - add all of the hours together and then divide by 30

Hi thanks for the reply.
This is my question:
In a 52 week year I worked 26 weeks at 20h/w and the other 26 weeks I worked 40h/w for a total of 1560 hours in a one year period.
Is this valid because I have accumulated 1560 hours in a one year period, I did not gain the 1560 in less than a year.

This text is where my confusion lies "The 1 year of work experience can be acquired through multiple periods of employment but must equal at least 1,560 hours in the 3 years before the application for permanent residence is received. Work experience must be acquired over a period of at least 1 year; work in excess of 30 hours per week over a shorter period cannot compensate for any shorter overall period of experience."

I am not sure how they define a work week, if they do in fact regard 30h p/w as a work week then my hours won't be enough.
If they only want to see that you have worked that specific week regardless of the hours then my hours will be enough.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Neetu78

Apr 27, 2021

Dear, 52 weeks is already = 12 months/1 year. Its NOT a shorter period.

Hope you understand my point :)

Neetu78

Apr 27, 2021

The BEST way, or the APPROPRIATE way -- to do calculation for TR to PR (Not CEC) ?
What's your opinion, scylla ?