+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TPS Beneficiary moving to Canada as PR from the US

LightPhoenix

Jul 22, 2017
I had TPS in USA and left for Canada PR after living there for 16 years. It was very difficult and I miss the US greatly every day. Now depending on your situation, Canada or Australia can be a no brainier.
TPS does not lead to citizenship, and republicans will be hard pressed to ever change that, as they are doing everything possible to limit immigration from brown countries. So getting married from your home country or bringing your parents is off the table.
Also, it is $495 for each 18 month renewal, plus $575 for a one year travel permit. To maintain the right to live in the US and travel in and out freely you pay on average $1300 per year. You have to wait months for each of these documents to arrive. In Canada It was $795 to get a PR (That is, you get the right to live in Canada for the rest of your life, you do not even need to renew your card if you are not traveling). Of course there are other fees, depending on how you immigrate. For me through express entry It was IELST(240)+POLICE Certificates(100)+ Degree Certification(130)+Medical Exam(300)+Mailing(80). Total cost was Less than $1700 to get my PR card.
The bad part was moving from LA to Toronto. Say what you want about California, it is heaven on earth. If you really enjoy your life in USA, do not think you can replicate that in Canada. Canada is cold, slow and small. Is is very limiting here and you will feel claustrophobic at times. Also rent is as high as California without the sunshine, so if you are moving from a cheaper state get ready for some price shock. Food and transportation are the most expensive I experienced in my life. Think Whole Foods prices for regular food.
Jobs in Canada are few and the pay is much lower than the US. Working with Canadians can feel awkward after working with Americans for so long.
I personally believe TPS in USA was better than PR in Canada. The courts have not said its final word, but I believe there is no chance 800k DACA and 400k TPS will be deported. If I can go back, I would remain in LA and wait it out.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I had TPS in USA and left for Canada PR after living there for 16 years. It was very difficult and I miss the US greatly every day. Now depending on your situation, Canada or Australia can be a no brainier.
TPS does not lead to citizenship, and republicans will be hard pressed to ever change that, as they are doing everything possible to limit immigration from brown countries. So getting married from your home country or bringing your parents is off the table.
Also, it is $495 for each 18 month renewal, plus $575 for a one year travel permit. To maintain the right to live in the US and travel in and out freely you pay on average $1300 per year. You have to wait months for each of these documents to arrive. In Canada It was $795 to get a PR (That is, you get the right to live in Canada for the rest of your life, you do not even need to renew your card if you are not traveling). Of course there are other fees, depending on how you immigrate. For me through express entry It was IELST(240)+POLICE Certificates(100)+ Degree Certification(130)+Medical Exam(300)+Mailing(80). Total cost was Less than $1700 to get my PR card.
The bad part was moving from LA to Toronto. Say what you want about California, it is heaven on earth. If you really enjoy your life in USA, do not think you can replicate that in Canada. Canada is cold, slow and small. Is is very limiting here and you will feel claustrophobic at times. Also rent is as high as California without the sunshine, so if you are moving from a cheaper state get ready for some price shock. Food and transportation are the most expensive I experienced in my life. Think Whole Foods prices for regular food.
Jobs in Canada are few and the pay is much lower than the US. Working with Canadians can feel awkward after working with Americans for so long.
I personally believe TPS in USA was better than PR in Canada. The courts have not said its final word, but I believe there is no chance 800k DACA and 400k TPS will be deported. If I can go back, I would remain in LA and wait it out.
The big issue is most of TPS applicants are applying for asylum when they arrive in Canada. Most do not qualify for PR. They are ending up being deported to their home country.