+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tourist visa to work visa

JASAREMA

Jun 20, 2012
HI to all))))
i am in Alberta on tourist visa but i have job offer and LMO on my name
Can i apply in Canada? or i have to cross the border from US and apply on POE?
Thank u for reply

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you have a valid LMO and job offer, then all you need to do is 'flagpole' i.e. go to the nearest border and pick up your TWP there. The immigration officer at the POE can use his/her discretion as to the length of time for which he/she issues the TWP. It is common for the officer to issue a TWP that is valid for the same length of time as your Labour Market Opinion (LMO).

iamcherrie

Star Member
Apr 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
next week!!
Hi Wilson,

I will be travelling to Canada on a TRV.
My boyfriend is in Alberta and his employer has an LMO and job offer ready for me.
What do you think will best suit me?
Will I go there on TRV and have my work permit processed in the border?
How am I going to process it in the border?
Or is it better to process the work permit here in my home country?
I am from the Philippines (if that will help).
Thanks a lot in advance!

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi 'iamcherrie'

As you are in the Philippines now, I suggets you get your work permit and proceed to Canada because your LMO is already there.You said the LMO is approved and therefore you can get a Temporary Work Permit from your embassy in Manila. As soon as you arrive in Canada you could start work immediately then apply for PR from within Canada as per the rules of CIC.

iamcherrie

Star Member
Apr 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
next week!!
thank you wilson.. :)
My plan is really to visit my sister in Ontario and my bf in Alberta that is why I am processing for a TRV..
But from what I read in some of the post here, Asians are having hard time getting TRV and I feel like I will undergo the same..
So my bf's employer is willing to help by providing an LMO for me..
I will get a copy of the LMO to get everything started and process for the work permit instead..
I wont be needing the TRV anyways if I get my work permit..
thanks.. ;)

Fiona19

Jun 3, 2011
Hi All,
I wonder if you can help me with some questions about a Work permit application. I just received a job offer from a well know manufacture company here in Vancouver. They want me to start on July 16th and now I just want to make sure that I am following the right process.
I am a Mexican citizen living in Vancouver. I got married last year with a Canadian citizen and we applied for my Sponsorship PR last May 1st from outside Canada via Mexico City. We are still waiting for the sponsor approval which might be done by the end of August. So far my status in Canada is as a Visitor valid until October 12th, 2012.
My questions are:
1.- Should I follow the process using the forms to Change my Conditions or Extend my stay in Canada according with the CIC web page?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/e-services/work.asp
2.- I would like to apply on-line is this the easiest and faster way to apply for a work permit?
3.- According with the processing times now for a work permit is taking 32 days or so, what happen if the Job offer states the start day on July 16th?
I hope that you can help me with any comment.
Thanks,
Judith