+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tourist Visa to Open Work Permit

drummerlover33

Star Member
Aug 19, 2015
Hi everyone,

I'm planning to visit Canada from June - December this year on a tourist visa. Once in there, I plan to get an Open Work Permit which should help me get a job offer that I can use for Express Entry. Would anyone know if this is a feasible plan?

Thanks!

SeanDame

Star Member
Jan 12, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-11-2015
Doc's Request.
23-11-2015
AOR Received.
01-11-2015
IELTS Request
10-11-2015
Passport Req..
03-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2016
LANDED..........
10-05-2016
From.a tourist to an open work permit? On what base?
If you get an LMIA while here you can do that.. But an open one?? Slim chance.. Good luck anyways

Dexmoody

Aug 12, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
drummerlover33 said:
Hi everyone,

I'm planning to visit Canada from June - December this year on a tourist visa. Once in there, I plan to get an Open Work Permit which should help me get a job offer that I can use for Express Entry. Would anyone know if this is a feasible plan?

Thanks!
Check if you qualify for a working holiday visa aka International Experience Canada (IEC).

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/index.asp

This will give you an open work permit, but it's usually only for a year (sometimes two depending on the country). If you can only get one year, you need to have a job lined up before you get there and start work right away, otherwise it will be impossible to gain the minimum of 52 weeks of Canadian work experience to qualify for CEC.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
drummerlover33 said:
Hi everyone,

Thanks!
Unless there's something you're not telling us about yourself - you don't qualify for an open work permit.

If by any chance you were looking at the rule that states you qualify for an OWP with a six month TRP - this is for TRPs only. You will have a TRV which is a regular visitor visa. Regular visitor visas do not qualify under this rule. Only TRPs qualify. TRPs are special permits that are granted to people who are otherwise inadmissible to Canada (typically due to a crime).

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Dexmoody said:
Check if you qualify for a working holiday visa aka International Experience Canada (IEC).

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/index.asp

This will give you an open work permit, but it's usually only for a year (sometimes two depending on the country). If you can only get one year, you need to have a job lined up before you get there and start work right away, otherwise it will be impossible to gain the minimum of 52 weeks of Canadian work experience to qualify for CEC.
Those from the Philippines don't qualify for IECs.

TCK

Aug 13, 2014
drummerlover33 said:
Hi everyone,

Thanks!
A lovely idea, but not really likely to succeed. A large proportion of successful PR applicants are already within Canada, often with closed work permits, and applying for PR under the Canadian Experience class (although many of these are advised to apply under FSW so that CIC can massage the figures, but that's another story). My observation is that this route needs a work permit that runs for at least 2 years - the first to qualify you for CE (or to give you time to apply for Provincial Nomination), and the second to get through to EE process. You may even need to extend that work permit if the application process takes a while, or if you don't get drawn from the pool for some time.

Other qualifying criteria apply - check those things out BEFORE you make ANY plans.

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
drummerlover33 said:
Hi everyone,

Thanks!
Easiest way to immigrate to Canada:

1) be a refugee
2) marry a Canadian

kvrforum

Star Member
Mar 3, 2016
mf4361 said:
Easiest way to immigrate to Canada:

1) be a refugee
2) marry a Canadian
Bingo...!

That's what CIC guys approve!

They don't approve if you're a Harvard / MIT drop out because no bachelor's degree will not qualify.
They only like gay marriages and refugees.

25,000 Syrian refugees are accepted. All hard-working individuals with college education and work history were denied.
Refugees are useful for them but actual working individuals are useless people who deserve painful waiting time of LMIA procedure.

Be a refugee...it's the best way!

------------- Here's summary so far -------------------

Refugee - Will be accepted to Canada
Gay / Lesbian Marriage to a Canadian - will be accepted to Canada
A working individual with college education - will be questioned and many times denied to immigration program to Canada
A college graduate with less work experience - will be denied to Canadian immigration program
A college drop-out from Oxford, Harvard, MIT - will get no points under Express Entry grid. He or she paid more effort but eventually is useless in Canadian immigration system.
A college graduate from an obscure college - will be qualified for Express Entry.
A self-employed doctor with 250 patients - will be rejected because self-employment will not count toward CEC.

Don't struggle... file a refugee claim tomorrow.

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
Granted a similar number of immigrants and ratio between economic, family and humanitarian class than before Liberal takes over.

The problem is the latter two have such a low qualifications that it ended up cutting off before years ends (like CEC in 2014) and economic class seats are unused and wasted

Refugees have proven be a good source of qualified and educated immigrant that makes up a significant contribution to the economy. Better than immigrant investor class prior to 2014, which effectively is buying immigration.

cyt0plas

Star Member
Mar 21, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kvrforum said:
A college drop-out from Oxford, Harvard, MIT - will get no points under Express Entry grid. He or she paid more effort but eventually is useless in Canadian immigration system.
Not quite true. I'm a Harvard dropout, but still managed to get in.

kvrforum said:
Gay / Lesbian Marriage to a Canadian - will be accepted to Canada
Ok, so I do get points for being in a gay marriage. It was to someone else from outside the country, though, so there's that.

As for being married to a Canadian, it doesn't matter if you're gay or not - it's treated the same.