+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tourist Visa Suggestions

simrat0721

Star Member
Jun 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My friends parents have Canadian Tourist Visa that expires in September 2020 for the father and February 2021 for the mother. The intention is to be in Canada as soon as possible since my friend is a PR and the immediate free members can enter Canada.

1) We are confused if his father will be allowed to board from India for a flight to Canada in August? Or he won't be since his visa expires too soon?

2) Let's say he isn't allowed to board, the only option they are left with is to apply for the visa again and wait until it is approved. Another question here is, can mother also apply for the visa since her's is also expiring in February 2021.

3) Let's say both parents are allowed to board and enter Canada, can both of them apply for a visitor visa while being here in Canada?

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
1. He should be allowed as an immediate family member--the visa expiry shouldn't matter at all. It all depends on whether the airline will allow his parents on board, as visitor cases these days are touch-and-go, even if immediate family members are supposed to be exempted from the restrictions.
(If their passports expire in a long time, should be no issue either. As far as I know, Canada doesn't implement the 6-month validity rule, but it's best to be safe.)

2. No issue with the mom applying well before her expiry date.

3. Technically, they can do so online, but what's the point? They're already in Canada. A visa is for entering Canada. It doesn't allow them to stay in Canada longer if they do so.

simrat0721

Star Member
Jun 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. He should be allowed as an immediate family member--the visa expiry shouldn't matter at all. It all depends on whether the airline will allow his parents on board, as visitor cases these days are touch-and-go, even if immediate family members are supposed to be exempted from the restrictions.
(If their passports expire in a long time, should be no issue either. As far as I know, Canada doesn't implement the 6-month validity rule, but it's best to be safe.)

2. No issue with the mom applying well before her expiry date.

3. Technically, they can do so online, but what's the point? They're already in Canada. A visa is for entering Canada. It doesn't allow them to stay in Canada longer if they do so.
Thanks for your response, Bellaluna!
The only confusion in point 3 is that their intention is to stay longer than the expiry of their visa. That is why they want to re-apply for their visa while being in Canada. I think they will have to come back to India if they don't get their new visa approved before the expiry of their existing visa.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
You can show up at the border on the day your visa expires and still be admitted to Canada for six months, provided your passport is valid that long.

The visa is only permission to get to the border and apply to enter. You can stay beyond its expiry, provided you are admitted.

Reactions: bellaluna

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Thanks for your response, Bellaluna!
The only confusion in point 3 is that their intention is to stay longer than the expiry of their visa. That is why they want to re-apply for their visa while being in Canada. I think they will have to come back to India if they don't get their new visa approved before the expiry of their existing visa.
If they want to extend their stay for longer than 6 months or whatever is given at the airport while they are already in Canada, they don't apply for a new visa. They apply for a visitor record/extension.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/extend-stay.html

As already mentioned twice above, a visa is only needed for *entering* Canada, not for *staying* in Canada. Not sure how else I can reword it to make it clearer. Ideally, the information in the link above clears it.

Reactions: k.h.p.

simrat0721

Star Member
Jun 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If they want to extend their stay for longer than 6 months or whatever is given at the airport while they are already in Canada, they don't apply for a new visa. They apply for a visitor record/extension.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/extend-stay.html

As already mentioned twice above, a visa is only needed for *entering* Canada, not for *staying* in Canada. Not sure how else I can reword it to make it clearer. Ideally, the information in the link above clears it.
No you made it very clear already. Thank you very much for your help.