Med's Request
12-12-2014
Passport Req..
08-01-2015
VISA ISSUED...
13-01-2015
LANDED..........
27-01-2015
It depends on your situation. For most tourists it's impossible to change their status to worker or student from within Canada. However, if you are a family member of a PR/international student/foreign worker in Canada, you may qualify to change your status while in Canada.

Neez

Star Member
Feb 12, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Windragon100576 said:
Is it possible to get a student permit when you are in tourist visa while here in Canada?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=483&t=15

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Windragon100576 said:
Is it possible to get a student permit when you are in tourist visa while here in Canada?
At the moment, no you can't most likely (though depends which country you are from, however as you need a tourist visa, so I am guessing you aren't from exempt list of countries) Hence no you can't. However, as the rules are changing effective June01, 2014, any application for tourist visa made after June 01, 2014 can request for study permit from within Canada.

Windragon100576

Star Member
Feb 27, 2014
sabby2612 said:
At the moment, no you can't most likely (though depends which country you are from, however as you need a tourist visa, so I am guessing you aren't from exempt list of countries) Hence no you can't. However, as the rules are changing effective June01, 2014, any application for tourist visa made after June 01, 2014 can request for study permit from within Canada.
What if I am a US citizen? Meaning I am from an exempted county, right? How will this change (june 1,2014) work for me?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

sabby2612 said:
Not quite right.

Visitors may apply for a study permit from within Canada if they are at the pre-school, primary or secondary level, are on an academic exchange or a visiting student at a designated learning institution, or have completed a course or program of study that is a condition for acceptance at a designated learning institution.

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PMM said:
Hi

Not quite right.

Visitors may apply for a study permit from within Canada if they are at the pre-school, primary or secondary level, are on an academic exchange or a visiting student at a designated learning institution, or have completed a course or program of study that is a condition for acceptance at a designated learning institution.
Yes, that's what I suggested (as I assumed basis the limited info provided), hey may not.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-who.asp#exceptions

Windragon, what exactly is your status and what country you are from? what's your current level of study, are you looking for post grad program?

Windragon100576

Star Member
Feb 27, 2014
sabby2612 said:
Yes, that's what I suggested (as I assumed basis the limited info provided), hey may not.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-who.asp#exceptions

Windragon, what exactly is your status and what country you are from? what's your current level of study, are you looking for post grad program?
I am in work permit. I am plannig for my kids to come here with a tourist visa for my eldest and the youngest is holding an american passport. And if things are good I want them to apply for student permit once they are here. Is the process for my youngest with us passport the same with my eldest who is holing a tourist visa?

Kharilyn19892

Nov 17, 2023
Question: Im a tourist here in Canada. and I am planning to convert my visa to student visa while in Canada? How do I go about that?
please help. I am currently using the IRCC portal. please advise.

meegoreng

Star Member
Jun 7, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-08-2014
Med's Request
24-03-2015
Med's Done....
30-03-2015
Interview........
phone interview
Passport Req..
prayerfully waiting
Question: Im a tourist here in Canada. and I am planning to convert my visa to student visa while in Canada? How do I go about that?
Hi,

Same boat here. Hope someone can help us find answers

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You have to apply through a country outside of Canada. Assume you’re not a US citizen. It is much harder to apply for a study permit as a tourist in Canada because you need to show strong ties to your home country and reasons you will return home after your studies.