+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tough situation. Need genuine advice. It has been 8 months post AOR CEC inland. Can I get married and add spouse?

sam06

Aug 7, 2017
Hey guys,
I am CEC inland, it says Approved on GCMS notes but I am still waiting for final confirmation from ircc for copr? It has been 8 months. Now I have to get married next month outside Canada. Can I add spouse after that?
Another concern is what if I get copr while outside Canada? Can I add spouse after copr? And would I be able to return back to canada on TRV-work visa?

I am so confused. I have delayed marriage cuz I was hoping to get copr within 6 months. Need expert advice during covid times. Thanks!

Santy18

Star Member
Jul 8, 2020
Unless there is an unknown hiccup in your application clearance stages, would think it better to make sure to get your PR before travelling out of the country and marriage.

Sheryar

Mar 5, 2012
Visa Office......
CHC ISB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-june-2012
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
19- june-2012
Med's Request
13-july-2012
Med's Done....
19-July-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
19-July-2012
VISA ISSUED...
By the Grace of Allah (24/8/2012)
LANDED..........
6 september 2012
Here is my situation, might give answers to some of your questions.
I applied for PR on march 6 2020.(CEC)
Work permit expired march 18th
Bridging work permit applied 13th March 2020
Got Bridging work permit on 22nd Aug 2020
Applied TRV on 22nd Aug 2020
Got TRV on 18th sep 2020
Travelled on 10th October to Pakistan
Biometrics given on 14th October 2020
Left Pakistan on 22nd october 2020 for UK
Spend time with my fiance
On Nov 1st 2020 got an email congratulating about PR (COPR)
Dec 2nd 2020 informed CIC that i am out of Canada in UK, they canceled the COPR and told to enter Canada and than do landing(on cic account)
Got married in UK on 30th Dec 2020
Entered Canada on 7th Jan 2021 and informed border officer about my marriage and my intention to inform CIC, they refuced to issue landing/PR and let me in on my valid bridging work permit.
Called CIC on 8th Jan 2021and told about my marriage.(they emailed me the documents required to add a spouse.
14th Jan 2021submitted all documents to add accompanying spouse)
Now waiting(spousal medials , biometrics etc).
she is a Pakistani citizen studying in UK.

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Hey guys,
I am CEC inland, it says Approved on GCMS notes but I am still waiting for final confirmation from ircc for copr? It has been 8 months. Now I have to get married next month outside Canada. Can I add spouse after that?
Another concern is what if I get copr while outside Canada? Can I add spouse after copr? And would I be able to return back to canada on TRV-work visa?

I am so confused. I have delayed marriage cuz I was hoping to get copr within 6 months. Need expert advice during covid times. Thanks!
You best shot would be to get married before becoming a PR. Unless you expectation is to have to wait for another 1-2 or even more years to be able to bring your spouse.

You can add your spouse at any point after AOR and becoming a PR. Before your COPR is issued and/or landing you will be asked if your marital status has changed. If so, you will need to provide your spouses documentation (police records, medical exam, etc.) and you'll be asked if you will be add that person as accompanying.

tegbir_93

May 28, 2019
Here is my situation, might give answers to some of your questions.
I applied for PR on march 6 2020.(CEC)
Work permit expired march 18th
Bridging work permit applied 13th March 2020
Got Bridging work permit on 22nd Aug 2020
Applied TRV on 22nd Aug 2020
Got TRV on 18th sep 2020
Travelled on 10th October to Pakistan
Biometrics given on 14th October 2020
Left Pakistan on 22nd october 2020 for UK
Spend time with my fiance
On Nov 1st 2020 got an email congratulating about PR (COPR)
Dec 2nd 2020 informed CIC that i am out of Canada in UK, they canceled the COPR and told to enter Canada and than do landing(on cic account)
Got married in UK on 30th Dec 2020
Entered Canada on 7th Jan 2021 and informed border officer about my marriage and my intention to inform CIC, they refuced to issue landing/PR and let me in on my valid bridging work permit.
Called CIC on 8th Jan 2021and told about my marriage.(they emailed me the documents required to add a spouse.
14th Jan 2021submitted all documents to add accompanying spouse)
Now waiting(spousal medials , biometrics etc).
she is a Pakistani citizen studying in UK.

Did IRCC not ask you to apply for PRTD to come back to Canada?
Were your TRV and Work permit not cancelled as soon as you got your COPR?

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Did IRCC not ask you to apply for PRTD to come back to Canada?
  • It seems like you don't understand the process. You must be a PR in order to need a PRTD to travel. He is not a PR yet, he just had his application approved, and needs to complete the landing which is when we would have become a PR. Now his application is open again until they process the spouse's portion which could be several months.
Were your TRV and Work permit not cancelled as soon as you got your COPR?
  • He NEVER got his COPR. TRV and WP are valid and will be valid until they expire or until he lands as a PR. When he lands, we will be required to surrender any permit, and they will no longer be valid.
Again, this person is not a PR yet, his application is no longer approved because his spouse was added. Now they will have open it again and will have to complete the processing before they approve it for all the applicants.
See text in red above.

Last edited: