+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Toronto vs Ottawa

Oct 28, 2019
Hi All, thanks for helping wannabe Canadians

I am trying to decide between Toronto and Ottawa.

My current situation is
1. I have a remote job and I am planning to work with my current company till I find another opportunity.
2. I will be looking for opportunities in Software Engineering / Application Security.

Overall I want to know
1. Which is the better city to find tech job opportunities?
2. I heard there are good Government IT jobs in Ottawa, Is there any restriction on applying for these jobs?
3. If I decide to land in Toronto, Is it possible to find Short-term accommodation in and around Toronto?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi All, thanks for helping wannabe Canadians

I am trying to decide between Toronto and Ottawa.

My current situation is
1. I have a remote job and I am planning to work with my current company till I find another opportunity.
2. I will be looking for opportunities in Software Engineering / Application Security.

Overall I want to know
1. Which is the better city to find tech job opportunities?
2. I heard there are good Government IT jobs in Ottawa, Is there any restriction on applying for these jobs?
3. If I decide to land in Toronto, Is it possible to find Short-term accommodation in and around Toronto?
You should find a job and then decide where to live and sign a longterm lease. Would broaden my search even further to all of Ontario although would look at the GTA, Kitchener/Waterloo and Ottawa in particular. Unless you own a home and have a spouse in a good job in one city the best thing to do is remain flexible when looking for a new job.

Oct 28, 2019
Another question,

1. Is it better to look for Airbnb or a short term rental?
2. Is it advisable to look for a short term rental something closer to Toronto (they are darn expensive tho compared to the outskirts of Toronto or Ottawa)?

Thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Another question,

1. Is it better to look for Airbnb or a short term rental?
2. Is it advisable to look for a short term rental something closer to Toronto (they are darn expensive tho compared to the outskirts of Toronto or Ottawa)?

Thanks.
Really depends on whether you are single or have a family. It is much easier to rent a room or something similar as a single person. I would do your research and identify where you want to live and where is the most likely you will find a job and base yourself there. Other option is to base yourself in the GTA and then you are able to go to either Ottawa or KW for interviews. No need to live downtown. Would try to stay somewhere where you have somewhat easy access to the TTC or GO train if in the GTA so you can easily get around and to any job interviews. When it comes to Ottawa would make sure you are on an OC transpo route but no need to be downtown.

Would imagine that you could likely apply for some positions before arriving in Canada since most interviews would be Skype first and some sort of test online. Some filters may filter out a non-Canadian address in a CV so that is an issue you may be able to address if you have friends or family in Canada.