+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Toronto Neighborhoods - WHERE DO I GO ?

Maryam1979

Apr 19, 2011
Hello everyone,

I have a question with regards to possibly living in Mississauga - do I need a car if I live there, for both going around Mississauga and going to Toronto? Or is the public transit sufficient for moving around both within and to Toronto?

Thanks

wilbur

Star Member
Aug 5, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-04-2011
Doc's Request.
Sent with app
AOR Received.
02-06-2011
IELTS Request
Sent with app
File Transfer...
19-07-2011
Med's Request
02-09-2011
Med's Done....
03-09-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
23-09-2011
VISA ISSUED...
28-09-2011
LANDED..........
15-10-2011
I think that if your work is at Downtown Toronto the public transportation would be OK, but if not it will be somehow expensive.

Maryam1979

Apr 19, 2011
Thanks for your response.

But how about getting around within Mississauga, is a car necessary or is the public transit sufficient?
Is it a pedestrian friendly city?

wilbur

Star Member
Aug 5, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-04-2011
Doc's Request.
Sent with app
AOR Received.
02-06-2011
IELTS Request
Sent with app
File Transfer...
19-07-2011
Med's Request
02-09-2011
Med's Done....
03-09-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
23-09-2011
VISA ISSUED...
28-09-2011
LANDED..........
15-10-2011
I think strictly talking you can get around in public transportation, but of course having a car makes things easier if you want to go shopping, if you have kids, if the weather is too cold, rainy or too hot, etc.

I had survived almost two years without car, but I'm planning in buying one later this year. From time to time I rent a car, it has been convinient so far.

The main reason I haven't buy a car yet is because the insurance cost is too high at the beginning.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Some cool neighborhoods of Toronto

South Riverdale

The population of this neighborhood is a mix of professionals and creative types. Of particular family appeal: the many parks, the shopping strip along the Danforth and easy subway access. Ppl r drawn to the area due to both - its amenities (daycare, toy store, grocery store, subway access) and its diversity. Beyond the main strip, the area has a lot going for it - the generous amount of green space includes Greenwood Park (for outdoor swimming, baseball and an ice rink), the Leslie Street Spit (the city's best birdie venue) and Cherry Beach. With a suburban status within the city of Toronto, and relative affordability, buyers come looking for more space than a condo provides. Large families may however find the houses slightly cramped vis-a-vis Mississauga &/or Brampton.

HOUSING: The area is a mix of charming Victorian and Edwardian brick semis and row houses, post-war stock and newer townhouses. Most abodes come with character, or reno opportunities. Lots tend to be smaller, with narrow fronts and driveways. The finest houses are between Queen and Dundas. Usually a semi-detached house could be found within $450-500,000. But prices tend to be lower between Eastern and the industrial lands to the south. Properties next to the railway, which cuts diagonally through the neighbourhood, go cheaper.

HOT SPOTS:
-Brick Street Breads. This satellite location of the Distillery Dist. bakery provides fresh and organic baguettes and loaves of bread.
-Ed's Real Scoop. Customers brave long lines for the delicious house-made ice cream at this friendly parlour, once a Beach exclusive.
-T&T Supermarket. This sprawling Asian market has Chinatown's selection, plus the ease of one-stop shopping.
-Khan Baba. This large, nondescript, tile-floored room serves some authentic South-East Asian delicacies - not to be missed.
-Baldini. Selections at this unpretentious, terra cotta–walled trattoria lean toward the traditional: penne alla vodka, spaghettini...
-Le CAFÉ Vert. The appropriately coloured storefront quickly fills with a 20-something crowd on weekends.
-Leslieville Cheese Market and Fine Foods. Here, one can give a patriotic salute to Canadian artisanal cheeses...
-Rowe Farms.Guelph-based Rowe Farms, a long-time poultry supplier, has finally come to Toronto with this satellite outlet.

The Beach

This place is as close to living in a resort town as you'll get in Toronto, complete with lakeside boardwalk and a stroll-worthy shopping district. The Beach has a small town feel to it, It'd feel like we're connected to the people in our neighbourhood rather than live aloof. While being close to the city's core - it still has a distinct suburb feel - while having everything within its proximity - enough amenities that downtown trips aren't neccesary. With its annual jazz and arts and crafts festivals, the Beach also bustles with activities the whole family can enjoy. Well-respected public schools, such as Balmy Beach and Courcelette, are yet another draw for families. Once people move to the Beach they stay there. If you can afford it, this is not only a great place to live but also a solid investment.

HOUSING: Generally a more pricier neighborhood of toronto... homes south of Queen, many built as summer getaways in the 1920s, offer authentic charm, while townhomes on the former Greenwood racetracks often push the $1 million mark. Semi-detached units can cost between $550,000 and $750,000. The prices start to drop west of Coxwell, or on the northeastern edge, but even these areas are gentrifying.

HOT SPOTS:
-Fox Theatre. Film buffs flock to the Fox, a grand (if slightly worn) independent theatre that's the longest-running cinema in the country.
-The Pie Shack. Delicious pies routinely sell out at The Pie Shack, a self-consciously rustic café and bakery.
-Red Rocket Coffee. This cheery java joint is a caffeine mecca, thanks to its fair trade coffee, free Wi-Fi and a killer patio.
-Aki Da. Locals and destination foodies alike flock to this traditional-yet-hip sushi house.
-Alex's Felafel & Shwarma. As a third-generation foodie, owner Alex Eskandar has cooking in his blood.
-Beachside Grill. With a reputation for home cooking, this unpretentious family-style diner is jammed on weekends.
-Gull & Firkin (Bar And Pub). Part of the popular pub chain, this Beach location has an enormous raised patio - an ideal joint!

Bloor West Village

On the Bloor subway line, the neighbourhood has become a favourite for families. One may sacrifice a larger backyard here but that trade-off is made easier by the location's proximity to High Park - 399 acres of green space complete with a small zoo, an adventure playground and a large pond. Not only do u thrive on being outdoors, but u can identify the access to High Park as a community-building opportunity. Here other parents and the kids congregate often & u get to know each other very well. It's invaluable.

HOUSING: Victorians with small lots are common in this neighbourhood. New condos on Gothic Avenue mix it up. Around the Dundas Street W, away from the park will keep the price bracket lower but, yet in the high of $500,000s and $600,000s for a semi.

HOT SPOTS:
-The Coffee Tree Roastery. This yummy-smelling 20-year-old independent roastery and café acts as a social centre.
-Max's Market. A community anchor, this jam-packed prepared food paradise is where locals find antipasti and quality cheese.
-Caldense BAakery and CAFÉ. This bright neighbourhood café, with its deep blue and yellow walls, is known for its daily long waitlist.
-Reba's CAFÉ. This tiny, charming café serves up a selection of bistro-style sandwiches.

The Kingsway

Etobicoke's 'the Kingsway' has established itself as a family community that feels as close-knit as some downtown neighbourhoods while still offering the benefits of suburban life - like bigger lots and more green space. The Kingsway breeds fierce loyalty among its privacy-prizing residents, who value its generous lot sizes. The houses at the core are the result of an ambitious development project spanning 1924 to 1947, when Robert Home Smith sought to create a garden city in the 19th-century British style. The whole area feels like a rural English village within the city. A lucky few have kitchen windows with eternally protected views of the Humber River.

HOUSING: Most of the large Arts & Crafts and Tudor homes are on sizable leafy lots with discreet garages. Original Robert Home Smiths go for a premium. North of Usher, The Kingsway offers matchbox versions of the more baronial homes found in the south. The area has Detached, Semis, Townhouses and a sprinkling of Condos. Overall it's a good mix of residential locale - and very family friendly. Semis could fetch approx $550000, while the condos come at $400000 for a 2BR unit.

HOT SPOTS:
-The Book Mark. One of the city's great independent bookstores, the Book Mark is also the oldest, still going strong after 44 years.
-Crème de la Crème. The ladies who helm this midday establishment run top-notch eggs Benny and pancakes, with little small talk.
-Magic Spot Grill. The burger-and-fries joint has been a favourite for generations of Kingsway high schoolers.
-The Old Sod. A popular, if somewhat dingy spot, this is where locals come to tip back a pint and catch the game.
-Casa Barcelona. Though the room is marred by garish floral fabric banquettes it's yet a very lively place for gatherings.
st about ... (0.79 km away)
-Just Greek. Serious foodies bemoan the lack of authentic Greek food in this city, here's their alma-mata.
-Green Mango. One of four locations in Toronto, this casual yet sophisticated restaurant is packed with west-enders.
______________________________________________________________________________________________
Qorax

goodwill

Star Member
Jun 19, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
islamabad/london
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-04-2008
Doc's Request.
4-6-2009
AOR Received.
19-06-2008
IELTS Request
already given
File Transfer...
30-06-2010
Med's Request
17-10-2010
Med's Done....
15-11-2010
Interview........
waved
Passport Req..
15-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-6-2011,d/m 28-06-2011,got passports back 6-07-2011
LANDED..........
inshalla in mid september 2011
Hi Qorax
Can u please tell me about this area Erin Mills behind Walmart in Mississauga.(near Lablos)
I want to know about this neighbourhood regarding public transit,park ,school and grocery shops.
How about renting an apartment here?
ur suggestions,much appreciated.
thanks.

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
goodwill said:
Hi Qorax
Can u please tell me about this area Erin Mills behind Walmart in Mississauga.(near Lablos)
I want to know about this neighbourhood regarding public transit,park ,school and grocery shops.
How about renting an apartment here?
ur suggestions,much appreciated.
thanks.
Generally a nice neighborhood... everything is in place... However, ppl of certain faith mostly reside there - which is slowly & steadily making others reside elsewhere. The place has a deep ethnic tone... but nothing wrong with it otherwise.

Qorax

montycan

Star Member
May 26, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
new delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27 oct 2010
AOR Received.
16-march-2011
IELTS Request
sent with application
File Transfer...
16-feb-2011
Med's Request
11-april-2011 [rectified m/r recd. 21 june 2011]
Med's Done....
06 july 2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
11-04-2011 ( rprf encashed 30 april 2011)
VISA ISSUED...
decision made on 30-09-2011
LANDED..........
with god`s grace soon
qorax said:
Generally a nice neighborhood... everything is in place... However, ppl of certain faith mostly reside there - which is slowly & steadily making others reside elsewhere. The place has a deep ethnic tone... but nothing wrong with it otherwise.

Qorax
dear captain,
please shed some light towards Vencouver area
thanks
Monty

msaleem216

Champion Member
Mar 4, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
london
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-05-2007
Doc's Request.
10-03-2009
Med's Done....
11-03-2013
Passport Req..
05-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-11-2014
LANDED..........
3rd December,2014 INSHA ALLAH
GREAT INFORMATION FROM QORAX

goodwill

Star Member
Jun 19, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
islamabad/london
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-04-2008
Doc's Request.
4-6-2009
AOR Received.
19-06-2008
IELTS Request
already given
File Transfer...
30-06-2010
Med's Request
17-10-2010
Med's Done....
15-11-2010
Interview........
waved
Passport Req..
15-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-6-2011,d/m 28-06-2011,got passports back 6-07-2011
LANDED..........
inshalla in mid september 2011
qorax said:

Qorax
Thanks a lot Qorax
Sorry to bother u again n again.Actually u r our ultimate guide n we take our decisions based on ur informations about different neighbourhoods.
Can u please tell us about Paisley blvd/floradale park/floradale school area.
Thanks.

Redd

Mar 27, 2011
quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris/Nairobi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
We are very grateful to you qorax.
You are doing a great job, GUIDING the newcomers.I appreciate.
KEEP IT UP!

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
montycan said:
dear captain,
please shed some light towards Vencouver area
thanks
Monty
Regrets Bro... I've never 'resided' there - except visiting... so, am not the right person to opine on that city.
I chose to write here about things 'only' that I've first-hand experience with.

Qorax

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
goodwill said:
Thanks a lot Qorax
Sorry to bother u again n again.Actually u r our ultimate guide n we take our decisions based on ur informations about different neighbourhoods.
Can u please tell us about Paisley blvd/floradale park/floradale school area.
Thanks.
The Queensway & Confederation Parkway area - where those twin locations r -- is a very desirable area.
a) Not far from Square One-Mississauga & not very afar from Toronto Downtown as well.
b) We have a member of our google-group residing there... their locale is pretty good.
c) This area is also home to the 'famed' Trillium Hospital.
d) Thus mostly Doctors & healthcare professional reside in the vicinity... so, a cool place!

Qorax

tinuadeadebola

Champion Member
Feb 28, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10th April 2010
Doc's Request.
22-06-2010
AOR Received.
22-06-2010
IELTS Request
already taken
File Transfer...
26-06-2010
Med's Request
June18th 2012
Med's Done....
June 21st 2012
Passport Req..
August 21st 2012
VISA ISSUED...
August 27th 2012
LANDED..........
February, 2013
Captain Qorax,

I cant find the right words to thank you wished there could be many like you then the world would have been a better place to live in. I salute you but much more i salute your wife and kids for the sacrifices they make allowing you to spend your little time with us as against spending it with them.

God bless you real good and may your and yours find help whenever needed IJN amen.

Thanks once again great Captain

Tinu

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
tinuadeadebola said:
Captain Qorax,

I cant find the right words to thank you wished there could be many like you then the world would have been a better place to live in. I salute you but much more i salute your wife and kids for the sacrifices they make allowing you to spend your little time with us as against spending it with them.

God bless you real good and may your and yours find help whenever needed IJN amen.

Thanks once again great Captain

Tinu
Thank u Sir... deeply appreciated!