Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
vinpar said:
Dear Qorax sir,

I am planning to rent a 1BR in malton. Usually i understand there is a 11 month contract? What is the option is one wants to move out early? 1 month notice would do?

Any recommended place in malton area?I have a 10 yrs old daughter going to school (need to find one).

thnx,
Here 1BR apts r hard to find... many tried among our friends-circle & finally took 2BRs. Incidentally there's just a $100-150 diff between both.

However, 1BR basements r aplenty. Costs around $650-700/month... & they're r pretty good as well. Quite a few from the forum r residing in those since over a yr now (seen all the seasons) & r satisfied.

With the apts there's no exit clause, however basements rent month-to-month, mostly. And typically ur landlord would let u go vide a month's notice.

Qorax

ssinghdxb

Star Member
Jan 18, 2012
Dubai - UAE
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear Qorax,

We are family of 3, we both and our son (6 years). Neither we have anyone known at Canada nor arranged employment.

With little bit of search found that 1BR fully furnished basement apartment could be the best bet for us initially on a monthly rental.

We are looking in western region in Etobicoke and Mississauga close to TTC or subway.

We have following queries, kindly advice

- Should we straight opt for an apartment or look for a hotel for a week and later move to apartment? Considering weekly rentals would be somewhere $400-$500 (assume)
- Will we be able to rent a place from Dubai? Will landlord agree if we interact over email/telephone etc?
- We don’t have employment, or references; will it be a hurdle for us in getting a place for us?
- Are monthly rentals acceptable to Landlords? i.e. no yearly contract.
- Will it be possible for us to transfer our son’s school if we plan to relocate in next few months after landing?

We have been searching online on viewit.ca/kijiji.ca/toronto.rentershotline.ca/craigslist.ca/nowtoronto.com/capreit.net and realstar.ca. Please also suggest what else we can explore prior to finalizing on to one or two choice?

Please accept apology for such a long query.

Regards

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
ssinghdxb said:
Dear Qorax,

We are family of 3, we both and our son (6 years). Neither we have anyone known at Canada nor arranged employment.

With little bit of search found that 1BR fully furnished basement apartment could be the best bet for us initially on a monthly rental.

We are looking in western region in Etobicoke and Mississauga close to TTC or subway.

We have following queries, kindly advice

1- Should we straight opt for an apartment or look for a hotel for a week and later move to apartment? Considering weekly rentals would be somewhere $400-$500 (assume)
2- Will we be able to rent a place from Dubai? Will landlord agree if we interact over email/telephone etc?
3- We don't have employment, or references; will it be a hurdle for us in getting a place for us?
4- Are monthly rentals acceptable to Landlords? i.e. no yearly contract.
5- Will it be possible for us to transfer our son's school if we plan to relocate in next few months after landing?

We have been searching online on viewit.ca/kijiji.ca/toronto.rentershotline.ca/craigslist.ca/nowtoronto.com/capreit.net and realstar.ca. Please also suggest what else we can explore prior to finalizing on to one or two choice?

Please accept apology for such a long query.

Regards
Hi,

1. Getting into a short-term accom initially and then locating a perm. rental is the wisest thing to do. There r many things to check before u commit, the quality of the neighborhood, accessibility to conveyance & amenities, family friendliness etc. I'd advice everyone to at least get a 2-3 weeks g/house or motel accom. before landing, settle down a bit, do some physical ground work and only then take a long-term rental... whether it's a basement, townhouse, condo apt or home.

2. Difficult, but not impossible. Few could get to that. Eg. Indiraprab fetched her basement apt here (in Malton-Mississauga) from her homeland before she took the flight. However, 2 things could go wrong there, 1.the location & quality of the dwelling could be a mismatch from what had been advertised, 2.u might pay up a higher price.

3. Not at all. Except few landlords most understand the predicament of newcomers (they themselves were one day) and let u into a lease w/out much ado. Some may request a referral (any friend/relative or existing forumer could do that... If u r around my locale - u could use mine) or a copy of ur Cr. Card (overseas one works fine too).

4. Yes. But only/mostly in basement rentals. The landlord might want 2-months rent in adv. though, usually first & last, thus technically u have paid only 1-month's adv.

5. Anyday / anytime. However, for consistency & ease of the kid's settlement it's wise not to move his/her school mid-term. Which is why I advise everyone (also) to fetch a motel type accom in the first place and then move into a long-term rental. I dread to see children in trouble... Immigration itself has posed a challenge to them, then after joining a school - within a short while if the parents change their school again - it does affect them. They may not understand or whim, but we do, don't we?

For the g/house or motels pls read my posts on short-term accom. For longer rentals I've written exhaustively manywhere - the local bulletin boards (found in all malls & many convenience stores) r ur best guide. Kijiji type sites r useful only if u r aware of the neighborhoods.

Hope that helped.

Qorax

ssinghdxb

Star Member
Jan 18, 2012
Dubai - UAE
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
qorax said:
Hi,

1. Getting into a short-term accom initially and then locating a perm. rental is the wisest thing to do. There r many things to check before u commit, the quality of the neighborhood, accessibility to conveyance & amenities, family friendliness etc. I'd advice everyone to at least get a 2-3 weeks g/house or motel accom. before landing, settle down a bit, do some physical ground work and only then take a long-term rental... whether it's a basement, townhouse, condo apt or home.

2. Difficult, but not impossible. Few could get to that. Eg. Indiraprab fetched her basement apt here (in Malton-Mississauga) from her homeland before she took the flight. However, 2 things could go wrong there, 1.the location & quality of the dwelling could be a mismatch from whatbhad been advertised, 2.u might pay up a higher price.

3. Not at all. Except few landlords most understand the predicament of newcomers (they themselves were one day) and let u into a lease w/out much ado. Some may request a referral (any friend/relative or existing forumer could do that... If u r around my locale - u could use mine) or a copy of ur Cr. Card (overseas one works fine too).

4. Yes. But only/mostly in basement rentals. The landlord might want 2-months rent in adv. though, usually first & last, thus technically u have paid only 1-month's adv.

5. Anyday / anytime. However, for consistency & ease of the kid's settlement it's wise not to move his/her school mid-term. Which is why I advise everyone (also) to fetch a motel type accom in the first place and then move into a long-term rental. I dread to see children in trouble... Immigration itself has posed a challenge to them, then after joining a school - within a short while if the parents change their school again - it does affect them. They may not understand or whim, but we do, don't we?

For the g/house or motels pls read my posts on short-term accom. For longer rentals I've written exhaustively manywhere - the local bulletin boards (found in all malls & many convenience stores) r ur best guide. Kijiji type sites r useful only if u r aware of the neighborhoods.

Hope that helped.

Qorax
Thanks a lot sir..... absolutely out of words to express our gratitude towards you...

Thanks and regards

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
ssinghdxb said:
Thanks a lot sir..... absolutely out of words to express our gratitude towards you...

Thanks and regards
The pleasure is always & entirely mine Sir.
Appreciated & reciprocated.

australiatocanada

Star Member
Apr 19, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Landing in June 2012 end by grace of GOD
Hi Qorax & other senior member, :D

I would like to request you please provide any insight / reviews about below short term accommodations in Toronto:

1. Sunnynewcomer (http://www.sunnynewcomer.com/)
2. On Shore B&B at St Catharines
3. Comfy Guest House (http://www.comfyguesthousetoronto.com/index.html)
4. Overseashome at Mississagua (http://www.overseashome.ca/)
5. Neill Wycik (http://www.neill-wycik.com/)

Are these first of all “SAFE” to live for short term, I’m landing very soon in Toronto with my hubby and with 6 big suitcase…..

Look forward for your guidance & reply,

TINA ;D

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
australiatocanada said:
Hi Qorax & other senior member, :D

I would like to request you please provide any insight / reviews about below short term accommodations in Toronto:

1. Sunnynewcomer (http://www.sunnynewcomer.com/)
2. On Shore B&B at St Catharines
3. Comfy Guest House (http://www.comfyguesthousetoronto.com/index.html)
4. Overseashome at Mississagua (http://www.overseashome.ca/)
5. Neill Wycik (http://www.neill-wycik.com/)

Are these first of all “SAFE” to live for short term, I'm landing very soon in Toronto with my hubby and with 6 big suitcase.....

Look forward for your guidance & reply,

TINA ;D
I don't have any personal info/exp on the other four except for Sl. No.4 [Overseas Home]... I found them Ok, nice, safe & value for money.

australiatocanada

Star Member
Apr 19, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Australia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Landing in June 2012 end by grace of GOD
qorax said:
I don't have any personal info/exp on the other four except for Sl. No.4 [Overseas Home]... I found them Ok, nice, safe & value for money.

Thanks Captain for writing, appreciate !! :D

Hope any other members have some experience with rest short term accomodation's and they will share their insight....

TINA ;D

hassan94107

Apr 24, 2012
Re: Ottawa Neighborhoods - WHERE DO I GO ?

Dear Qorax,
I trust your opinions, and I need your help please. I am going to land in Ottawa in this summer and I need two things:
1. Good and cheap accommodation in Ottawa to stay in till find a house for my family.
2. how can I get UPS mail address to leave it in the airport to receive the PRC.
Thanks.

marvik2011

May 27, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Colombo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/12/2009
Doc's Request.
09/04/2010
Med's Request
24/05/2012
Med's Done....
11/06/2012
Interview........
No no no
Passport Req..
20/07/2012
VISA ISSUED...
31/07/2012
LANDED..........
end of August 2012
Dear Qorax,
Our time has come to move to Canada! Finally we got our visas!!!
But along with happiness we got a lot of tensions :eek: and i want to ask your advise. We will be traveling with 9 months baby.
And out main concern is accommodation, can you advise any agency or any person who can help us to rent temp accommodation in Toronto or GTA max for 10-14 days.
Thanks a lot in advance.
Regards,
Marvik

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
marvik2011 said:
Dear Qorax,
Our time has come to move to Canada! Finally we got our visas!!!
But along with happiness we got a lot of tensions :eek: and i want to ask your advise. We will be traveling with 9 months baby.
And out main concern is accommodation, can you advise any agency or any person who can help us to rent temp accommodation in Toronto or GTA max for 10-14 days.
Thanks a lot in advance.
Regards,
Marvik
Safehomestay or Studio6 r ur best bet. I've written on these options many times on the forum, pls click the 'search' button.

smiling_face

Champion Member
Apr 20, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 2012
LANDED..........
Landed
qorax said:
Hi,

2. Difficult, but not impossible. Few could get to that. Eg. Indiraprab fetched her basement apt here (in Malton-Mississauga) from her homeland before she took the flight. However, 2 things could go wrong there, 1.the location & quality of the dwelling could be a mismatch from what had been advertised, 2.u might pay up a higher price.

Hope that helped.

Qorax
A great post...thanks much Sir!

trust_in_god

Aug 11, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2010
AOR Received.
October 2010
Med's Request
July 2012
Med's Done....
July 2012
Passport Req..
Waiting
Thanks Qorax a very useful thread!

trust_in_god

Aug 11, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2010
AOR Received.
October 2010
Med's Request
July 2012
Med's Done....
July 2012
Passport Req..
Waiting

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
CRS said:
Dear Captain,
I'm a PNP Nominee. I have to live in Winnipeg if I land in Canada. From all the sources, I got a very bad impression about Winnipeg. Not only for its harsh weather, but also for high crime rate. As a person from Bangladesh, security was one of the hub reasons for me to decide to migrate to Canada. I'd request you to share your experience if any on Winnipeg, as you are in Canada. I want to know how scary Winnipeg really is, comparing with the situation of South Asia.

Thanks for your kind attention.
Relax !

Comparing to many nations/cities/locations Winnipeg is not bad at all, especially viz. the area u r referring to. If one has to rate both in a scale of 1:10 (1=poor, 10=best), 3 or 4 could be ur location, while Winnipeg could be 7 or 8, with Toronto/Calgary/Vancouver/Ottawa/Montreal could be rated 9 or 10.

Qorax