+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

top 5 colleges in canada which have good co-op programs and related queries

immigrant_kane

Star Member
Jan 18, 2017
I am interested in applying to colleges like Sheridan and GBC and Fanshawe/Centennial for a post-graduate certificate course in Supply chain or Business analytics as I have about 5 years of work exp. now in the related field and I hold an Engineering degree from India. Primary purpose for taking up a course is immigration and also to get exposure to the local Canadian job market probably via Co-op. I have heard Sheridan and GBC have good industry connections.
I have a TOEFL score of 100 overall with individual sections as W:28 L:25 R:25 S:22, I was asked by my education consultant to write IELTS as well, for which I am awaiting results on 27th Jan.

So my queries are:
1. Which colleges are among top 5 in Canada w.r.t Industry connections and providing decent co-op work?
2. I want to go ahead and apply to colleges using my current TOEFL score rather than waiting for IELTS results (also because I feel I did not do that well on it, and probably might not get the minimum score required for admission to these colleges), so can I apply using TOEFL?
3. Is there a minimum requirement for IELTS for visa process as well? I mean I have no idea how that works for Visa processing.
4. My past academic records are not so great, where I have about 79% in 10th and 61% in 12th and 61% in Engineering, so do I stand a chance in getting an admit in any university based on work exp. (supply chain and business analytics and related courses) with just the TOEFL score, I did not wriet GRE/GMAT?

Appreciate a response.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
immigrant_kane said:
somebody please respond..
Just a polite comment that this is not an interactive chat room so be patient and do not expect a reply in 35 minutes especially to such a comprehensive post.

pd_IT

Star Member
Nov 13, 2012
haha..

I do not know much about universities and other provinces. I have knowledge only about colleges in Ontario(they are relatively cheaper).
I can point you out to a link containing list of colleges in Ontario with Graduate employment and success rates as in 2015 (see below). You can visit the sites of individual colleges, browse through the courses listed and shortlist courses of your interest, research about them and take the next steps if u wish ..

http://www.collegesontario.org/outcomes/key-performance-indicators/2015KPIreport_Eng_final.pdf

immigrant_kane

Star Member
Jan 18, 2017
Thanks pd_IT ..

and Bs65, I do understand that, sorry for my impatience, I need to actually decide in about 2 days which way to go and which college to choose, so ..!

pd_IT

Star Member
Nov 13, 2012
immigrant_kane said:
Thanks pd_IT ..

and Bs65, I do understand that, sorry for my impatience, I need to actually decide in about 2 days which way to go and which college to choose, so ..!
Fanshawe should be good.
Loyalist, i hear has the best curricula for all the courses. I reckon u can give it serious consideration , if you are an academic purist and keep quality as a key criteria. However on the downside, courses are bit expensive here.
Otherwise, GBC and Centennial should do just as well.

If you ask me, how you apply urself at studies & work determines ur success better than where you study. PEriod!

immigrant_kane

Star Member
Jan 18, 2017
thanks pd_IT.

I am considering Business Analytics and Supply Chain and Operations mgt, would you know which college might be good for these courses?
I also spoke to few people from Humber and Fanshawe on FB, well the suggestions I got have confused me a lil.

This guy from Fanshawe suggested that I take an admit in GBC (George Brown) bcoz it has gud reputation and it is easier finding a part-time while studying in Toronto.
The guy from Humber suggested that I take admit in some college in BC or Saskatchewan province as finding a job post completion would be easier in those provinces as competition is less and basically due to extreme climatic conditions nobody really wants to work there (well I am not sure, if I'd like to freeze my bum to just earn some money, maybe as a last resort I would, if I don't find anything in Ontarion).

Do you have any suggestions, I do understand that application of knowledge is important, but I think what the Humber student suggested me also makes a lot of sense.

pd_IT

Star Member
Nov 13, 2012
Humber Guy's suggestion is usually an extreme measure but fool proof.
The GBC idea has good chances for success , although (50-50) and dependent on a lot of other factors. How hands-on are you in SAP? will help your cause to a great deal if u have prior experience in an ERP .

If immigration is the idea, i believe it can be achieved even if u move to sask, after completing ur studies in ontario in the event of not finding an employment there.

In short use Sask as a last resort., after u have exhausted trying all other ways. (I would do the same, if in ur shoes)

immigrant_kane said:
thanks pd_IT.

I am considering Business Analytics and Supply Chain and Operations mgt, would you know which college might be good for these courses?
I also spoke to few people from Humber and Fanshawe on FB, well the suggestions I got have confused me a lil.

This guy from Fanshawe suggested that I take an admit in GBC (George Brown) bcoz it has gud reputation and it is easier finding a part-time while studying in Toronto.
The guy from Humber suggested that I take admit in some college in BC or Saskatchewan province as finding a job post completion would be easier in those provinces as competition is less and basically due to extreme climatic conditions nobody really wants to work there (well I am not sure, if I'd like to freeze my bum to just earn some money, maybe as a last resort I would, if I don't find anything in Ontarion).

Do you have any suggestions, I do understand that application of knowledge is important, but I think what the Humber student suggested me also makes a lot of sense.

immigrant_kane

Star Member
Jan 18, 2017
thanks pd_IT, that suggestion was really helpful.
I have about 5 years of experience in supply chain as a consultant and data analyst with about 2.5 years of exposure to ERP systems.
I think I'm gonna settle for GBC most probably.

thanks for all the suggestions though :)

economicalindian

Star Member
Nov 13, 2013
immigrant_kane said:
thanks pd_IT, that suggestion was really helpful.
I have about 5 years of experience in supply chain as a consultant and data analyst with about 2.5 years of exposure to ERP systems.
I think I'm gonna settle for GBC most probably.

thanks for all the suggestions though :)
@immigrant_kane i am planning to make similar move as yours. please let me know what you finally decided