+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tomorrow will be 12 months since applying for Citizenship

MW2015

Apr 14, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I know other are waiting even longer than this, just trying to figure out what should my next steps be post the 12 month window. My final documentation for CIT 0520 and RQ went in back in July. Waiting for last ATIP report which I filed in the last few weeks or so. Just wanting some suggestions on how I should proceed form here. I have not contacted the MP or phone into CIC as of yet. Do you see that as helping the situation any? Any help is much appreciated.

march2016

Star Member
Sep 14, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MW2015 said:
I know other are waiting even longer than this, just trying to figure out what should my next steps be post the 12 month window. My final documentation for CIT 0520 and RQ went in back in July. Waiting for last ATIP report which I filed in the last few weeks or so. Just wanting some suggestions on how I should proceed form here. I have not contacted the MP or phone into CIC as of yet. Do you see that as helping the situation any? Any help is much appreciated.
As far as i know, these are the options, but how each one helps varies based on experience.

1. ATIP https://atip-aiprp.apps.gc.ca/atip/

2. MP office

3. call centre

4. IRCC Web form http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/web-form.asp

5. Lawyer

VraiVie

Star Member
Jun 6, 2015
MW2015 said:
Just a quick question, why was an RQ issued in first place? do you have any idea?

MW2015

Apr 14, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VraiVie said:
Just a quick question, why was an RQ issued in first place? do you have any idea?
I received RQ due to a lot of travel for Business into the USA. I primarily work for a US company get paid in US dollars but reside in Canada. So that in itself is a big red flag. But have always paid my taxes quite painfully in the quaterly assessments. So no question on to me on my physical residency. Also married to a Canadian citizen.

Moe975

Star Member
Dec 2, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MW2015

for your information, i was issued an RQ CIT0171 during my test in July 2016 and responded August 2016.

I filed for ATIP and got my first result last week after a month and a half from my RQ submittal, however it seems that IRCC has not assigned an officer yet to my file

I filed a case specific inquiry from 8 days and waiting for the response

I contacted the MP office last week and got a first response that all i have to do is to wait !!!! I replied to him today

I filed another ATIP request today to see if an officer is assigned or not yet.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
MW2015 said:
How many days of buffer did you give in order to apply for citizenship?

MW2015

Apr 14, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:
How many days of buffer did you give in order to apply for citizenship?
Not enough, I learned that too late after applying. I found this board after I applied, wished i had waited. But because work travel I tested out waiting later and found out waiting later to apply would cause me to delay even longer. So I figured to the best of my knowledge I had to apply at that time, only had 1462, which in going back and getting Border crossing data from US and Canada, that may be short. So I may be an automatic no, but don't know at this point. To me if your travel is for business they should take that into consideration. But they may not, so we will see what they say.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
MW2015 said:
Not enough, I learned that too late after applying. I found this board after I applied, wished i had waited. But because work travel I tested out waiting later and found out waiting later to apply would cause me to delay even longer. So I figured to the best of my knowledge I had to apply at that time, only had 1462, which in going back and getting Border crossing data from US and Canada, that may be short. So I may be an automatic no, but don't know at this point. To me if your travel is for business they should take that into consideration. But they may not, so we will see what they say.
Not applying with enough buffer may have caused the delay. Usually people give 1 to 2 months of buffer before applying for citizenship.
Did you cross check all your entries and exits (residency calculator) to ensure the dates are correct?
Did you order your border records (CBSA & CBP) to check if the dates match with your residency calculator?
Do you go to USA for same day work or what?

Intend to reside clause is also in effect for citizenship as per the Instruction guide for citizenship.

saria1

May 22, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 28, 2014
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
January 16, 2015
File Transfer...
January 23, 2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
October 27, 2014
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
June 17, 2015
LANDED..........
June 30, 2015
MW2015 said:
I received RQ due to a lot of travel for Business into the USA. I primarily work for a US company get paid in US dollars but reside in Canada. So that in itself is a big red flag. But have always paid my taxes quite painfully in the quaterly assessments. So no question on to me on my physical residency. Also married to a Canadian citizen.
Well this is interesting. We cross into the States about once a week and my husband contracts remotely in Canada, for American companies. Now I'm dreading when it comes time for him to apply for citizenship.

MW2015

Apr 14, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:
Not applying with enough buffer may have caused the delay. Usually people give 1 to 2 months of buffer before applying for citizenship.
Did you cross check all your entries and exits (residency calculator) to ensure the dates are correct?
Did you order your border records (CBSA & CBP) to check if the dates match with your residency calculator?
Do you go to USA for same day work or what?

Intend to reside clause is also in effect for citizenship as per the Instruction guide for citizenship.
Yes I applied for both reports and submitted them as directed. And I did have discrepancies since I had documentedmy entry exits for tax reasons on a spreadsheet and were not 100% correct. But to me those days out of the country and intent to reside don't really match up. It cost more to live in Canada, taxes are higher, medical care not free when you pay higher taxes for it. Housing prices are four times as much as where I grew up. But I do love being here and the family I have in this area I would not change for anything. I would not live here if I did not want to. Seems like they should have an interview with you to decide your intent to reside and not look at dates. I contacted my MP and have meeting with them tomorrow. Hoping to send in the web inquiry today for further information, waiting for last ATIP report I filed a few weeks ago.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
MW2015 said:
Yes I applied for both reports and submitted them as directed. And I did have discrepancies since I had documentedmy entry exits for tax reasons on a spreadsheet and were not 100% correct. But to me those days out of the country and intent to reside don't really match up. It cost more to live in Canada, taxes are higher, medical care not free when you pay higher taxes for it. Housing prices are four times as much as where I grew up. But I do love being here and the family I have in this area I would not change for anything. I would not live here if I did not want to. Seems like they should have an interview with you to decide your intent to reside and not look at dates. I contacted my MP and have meeting with them tomorrow. Hoping to send in the web inquiry today for further information, waiting for last ATIP report I filed a few weeks ago.
Interview with me??