+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

To those who have sat the test

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
i know we cant discuss specific questions...

Can you answer, however, are there a lot of questions that ask you to confirm the year events happened?

scorph

Aug 17, 2017
Abbotsford BC
Test questions may vary surprisingly. To be on the safe side I advise you learn thoroughly the Official Study Guide.
Dates like July 1, 1867, 1215, the year your province enters Confederation, Sir John A MacDonald's date of birth, war of 1812, 1st and 2nd world war,... need to be known.

Reactions: ibry and qorax

adilmk123

Sep 13, 2011
Toronto
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
8-8-11
Doc's Request.
Sent UK PCC voluntarily on 23-03-2012
File Transfer...
8-10-11
Med's Request
16-7-12
Med's Done....
23-7-12
Passport Req..
11-8-12
VISA ISSUED...
30-8-12
LANDED..........
Nov/Dec inshallah
I didn't get questions with dates.

Reactions: Uranus and jsm0085

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
i know we cant discuss specific questions...

Can you answer, however, are there a lot of questions that ask you to confirm the year events happened?
Its good to know the important dates, or at least have a narrow range in mind so that you could pick up the right answer among other choices. Read the book 3-4 times, solve as many online/app tests as you can and you pass with no issues.

Reactions: jsm0085 and qorax

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
For those commenting to say it's good to know dates and to read the book 3-4 times, thanks. But this isn't what I'm asking and everyone learns in different ways. So while obviously the aim is to go into the exam knowing as much as possible from the Discover Canada book - I'm trying to determine for myself and others what the likelihood is of being asked a specific question which asks you to choose a date/year that the event occurred.

Stef.

Apr 5, 2017
I had none, Vancouver office. Nevertheless, they have multiple test versions and I would not count on it.
I read the book once and then did tons of online tests.

Reactions: jsm0085

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Its good to know the important dates, or at least have a narrow range in mind so that you could pick up the right answer among other choices. Read the book 3-4 times, solve as many online/app tests as you can and you pass with no issues.
Very good advice there. Tho "date specific" questions are rare to few ~ such questions are set-up with three absolutely off drift answers. Only one (the correct one) will sound right if you have a broad idea of the subject.

Simply put, if you study the Discover Canada booklet for "one week" before test ~ you'll get it. You'll get the right answer, even with dates.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Very good advice there. Tho "date specific" questions are rare to few ~ such questions are set-up with three absolutely off drift answers. Only one (the correct one) will sound right if you have a broad idea of the subject.

Simply put, if you study the Discover Canada booklet for "one week" before test ~ you'll get it. You'll get the right answer, even with dates.
Yes, agreed. You just need to know a "ballpark" range.

In my opinion, most of the answer choices for the questions are like so that out of the four choices: one is so off-base that you would need to have no clue to choose it, another is clearly wrong (but not as obvious at the first one) but can be tricky if you are unprepared, and it is between the remaining two that you need real knowledge to properly choose from. So most often you are choosing between two choices that sound about right.

Here is an example (totally made up question by me, I have no idea if it was ever a real question):

Who was the first prime minister of Canada?
1) Donald J. Trump
2) Wayne Gretzky
3) Lester B. Pearson
4) John A. Macdonald

No one would pick #1. #2 would only be confusing if you have no idea at all about hockey but recall seeing that name mentioned in Canada. It would be between #3 and #4 and anyone who did any studying should recall Macdonald

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
For those commenting to say it's good to know dates and to read the book 3-4 times, thanks. But this isn't what I'm asking and everyone learns in different ways. So while obviously the aim is to go into the exam knowing as much as possible from the Discover Canada book - I'm trying to determine for myself and others what the likelihood is of being asked a specific question which asks you to choose a date/year that the event occurred.
If this is what you are trying to achieve, then anecdotal reports by some forum members are useless. They tell you nothing about the likelyhood of being asked particular kinds of questions. That's like asking someone "which table were you seated at in the restaurant last night". Two people will then tell you where they were seated. Is this of any use to you to determine at what table you will be seated? No.

amitdi

Dec 19, 2013
Here is the likelihood of question on dates -
No Question on dates - 15-20%
Atleast one question on dates - 80-85%
Multiple questions on dates (3 or more) - 3-5%

So as you can see, you'll do well. You dont need to worry one bit. All the best.

I hope this helps. I also hope you'll understand that I cannot reveal the source of my information due to confidentiality reasons.

mevisbleek

Star Member
Jul 18, 2009
Had the Test today, March 1st at 1pm in Regina. To be honest, the test was super easy. However, my advise for anyone is to at least read the book once, its better to over prepared. Question Structure: The questions were short and straight to the point. I scored 19. Before the test, I was freaking out, to assure myself of success, I completed all the practice test available on the world wide web, LOL. There was no question about date, thank goodness!

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If this is what you are trying to achieve, then anecdotal reports by some forum members are useless. They tell you nothing about the likelyhood of being asked particular kinds of questions. That's like asking someone "which table were you seated at in the restaurant last night". Two people will then tell you where they were seated. Is this of any use to you to determine at what table you will be seated? No.
Respectfully, your input isn't helpful. I'm not trying to achieve a yes/no response. I'm trying to get information that will help people prepare. FYI I've studied the book fully 5 times and completed (and paid for test practice online)... I've now practised the questions 1000s of times.

But for some, "study the book" is easy while for others, it's not. Some people may take this to mean they need to memorise every date and name which can be incredible difficult, especially for those not use to french and/or English.

The above posts, excluding yours, will help others prepare and become confident in what they've learned.

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Respectfully, your input isn't helpful. I'm not trying to achieve a yes/no response. I'm trying to get information that will help people prepare. FYI I've studied the book fully 5 times and completed (and paid for test practice online)... I've now practised the questions 1000s of times.

But for some, "study the book" is easy while for others, it's not. Some people may take this to mean they need to memorise every date and name which can be incredible difficult, especially for those not use to french and/or English.

The above posts, excluding yours, will help others prepare and become confident in what they've learned.
I feel misunderstood. I understand that for some the test format is easier, for some not. Of course some people are better at memorizing than others. But I wasn't referring to any of this.

I was instead trying to say that anecdotal evidence tells you nothing. I simply don't understand in what way it could help you (or anyone in this forum) if they can read that:
- three people were asked date questions
- two people weren't asked date questions

What can you take from that? I mean, how is this information helpful?

But I'll simply stay clear of this. I was actually trying to help but if you think it doesn't, please just ignore my post.

Reactions: Quink