+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

To lease a vehicle under work permit

Nov 23, 2015
Hello everyone~~~~
I am wondering if any of you have knowledge about leasing a vehicle while holding a work permit and pr application in progress. My work permit is valid until 06/17. what are the specific requirements for work permit holders?

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
No problems at all as long as you have a valid license.

I've rented a few times on a work permit before I even applied for PR.
Never been asked my status, ON driving license was all it took. I've rented with it in NS and ON.

I've even got an (Enterprise) Autoshare (like zipcar) subscription :)

You can also rent on a foreign license, but if you are actually living here you normally need to trade your license in within a few months; varies by province I think.

Nov 23, 2015
thank you jc94~~~ however i am actually looking to lease a vehicle for longer term, say like a year or two...

jc94 said:
No problems at all as long as you have a valid license.

I've rented a few times on a work permit before I even applied for PR.
Never been asked my status, ON driving license was all it took. I've rented with it in NS and ON.

I've even got an (Enterprise) Autoshare (like zipcar) subscription :)

You can also rent on a foreign license, but if you are actually living here you normally need to trade your license in within a few months; varies by province I think.

ferysonu

Star Member
Jun 9, 2014
Calgary, CANADA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CIO-Sydney
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
Feb 12, 2016
Doc's Request.
Feb 12, 2016
Nomination.....
Nov 18, 2016 and Applied to Federal on Dec 19, 2016 (Re-Applied on June 27, 2017)
AOR Received.
Feb 09, 2017 (Aug 29, 2017)
IELTS Request
Submitted Along with Application
File Transfer...
To continue processing your application, you must link your application to an online account."
Med's Request
March 5, 2018
Med's Done....
Completed
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
22-Mar-2019 and sent on 23-Mar-2019
VISA ISSUED...
3-Apr-2019
LANDED..........
04-Apr-2019
positiveenergylittlesun said:
thank you~ i am on it already~~ hopefully they will get back to me soon.
I am on work permit and rented car for 2 months and bought a new one after that, had option to lease too, but i am not a big fan of lease here.

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
Ah, you are talking about a lease to buy type option I assume. Lease for a few years then get a new one (or buy it).

You'll likely need some credit history for that, but I imagine you have that already if it's valid until June '17 I assume you've been here 1-2 years already.
My experience in anything related to credit history is that there is no consistency
One place told me the limit on a credit card while on work permit was $5,000; but I know of multiple cases where this has not been honoured even for new cards. Including by the place that told me about that limit.

So my advice would be, if one place says no try somewhere else.
Note however that having multiple places running credit checks in close submission can have a negative impact upon your credit rating. You could ask the person if it's likely it'll be allowed before they actually log the request but again ... it seems to vary greatly.

Nov 23, 2015
Thank you jc94! That is very helpful!

jc94 said:
Ah, you are talking about a lease to buy type option I assume. Lease for a few years then get a new one (or buy it).

You'll likely need some credit history for that, but I imagine you have that already if it's valid until June '17 I assume you've been here 1-2 years already.
My experience in anything related to credit history is that there is no consistency
One place told me the limit on a credit card while on work permit was $5,000; but I know of multiple cases where this has not been honoured even for new cards. Including by the place that told me about that limit.

So my advice would be, if one place says no try somewhere else.
Note however that having multiple places running credit checks in close submission can have a negative impact upon your credit rating. You could ask the person if it's likely it'll be allowed before they actually log the request but again ... it seems to vary greatly.

eggsterminate

Star Member
Aug 5, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am on a work permit valid until early 2018 and got a 2-year lease for a Subaru in late December. I have good credit history though for the last 3-4 years.

Some carmakers push leases while others would rather you finance. Subaru falls into the former category and the dealership I was working with was quite good with the whole process. Most of the other places have longer leases. Subaru's was the shortest I found.

a16107

Apr 14, 2016
Anyone know if I can lease a car if I submitted my PR application but still in process

My work permit is 1 year left.