+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

To Get Married before or after Citizenship application ?

JSPCAN

Oct 20, 2016
Hi Seniors,

I shall be eligible to apply for my Citizenship in Canada in April 2021, as I will have have completed 1095 days by then ....and plan to visit Australia and get married to an Australian citizen in June 2021 .

-Should I apply for citizenship ,wait for for the oath to happen and then get married ?

OR

-Should get married and then apply ?....to avoid complication

OR

-Change in my marital status does not matter at all , whether I apply after or before marriage.

Pls advise points to take care in this regard.

Regards
JSPCAN

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi Seniors,

I shall be eligible to apply for my Citizenship in Canada in April 2021, as I will have have completed 1095 days by then ....and plan to visit Australia and get married to an Australian citizen in June 2021 .

-Should I apply for citizenship ,wait for for the oath to happen and then get married ?

OR

-Should get married and then apply ?....to avoid complication

OR

-Change in my marital status does not matter at all , whether I apply after or before marriage.

Pls advise points to take care in this regard.

Regards
JSPCAN
1/. Your martial status has no bearing on your citizenship application.

Anastasia_Y

Jan 10, 2016
I got married while my citizenship application was in process, on my interview after the test I was asked if anything changed in my application since I applied. I notified that I got married, but the women interviewing me didn't even care about that at all. My application was approved, just waiting for my oath whenever citizenship ceremonies resume.

Reactions: upon

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Marry when you want and send your application when you can (with enough buffer!).

None of them affects the other.