Interview........
11-11-2010
Passport Req..
11-11-2010
VISA ISSUED...
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
02-03-2011
Many of you won't remember me, but many of you will. I sponsored my Nigerian spouse from Brazil and he landed in March of last year. It was a tough process, but we made it through.

On arrival, he was not the same man I had known and loved for almost 4 years prior. He was secretive, always lying to me and hiding money...never willing to discuss financial things with me at all. The close relationship and friendship I thought we shared became very one-sided almost right away.

He did not make an effort to be a husband to me or be a part of my children's lives, instead spending hours and hours daily on the phone or computer to his people in Nigeria and Brazil.

After depleting my substantial savings and obtaining all the certificates and licenses he needed to obtain the kind of lucrative job he wanted in order to "provide for us", he flew up north to look for work. On arrival, he remembered that he didn't actually love me and said he was not coming back. This whole process took less than 10 months.

I am on the hook for 2 more years for someone who has already taken everything I have and left me in a pile of debt, humiliated and heart broken. I signed that sponsorship agreement and did so knowingly, but it still feels like an extra slap in the face. There is nothing that can be done to my children and I, but hopefully this story helps someone.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I certainly remember you. I am very very sorry this has happened to you.

chickie72

VIP Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston, JA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-02-12
Doc's Request.
09-06-13
AOR Received.
20-06-12
File Transfer...
04-10-12
Med's Request
20-06-12
Med's Done....
07-09-12
Passport Req..
March 4, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
March 20, 2014
LANDED..........
March 22, 2014
I was not on here last year but I have to say that is terrible what he done to you. In this process you need to have alot of trust in the person you are sponsoring and even though you have that trust, it sometimes is not enough. He will get his in the end because karma will come back and bite him in the butt. He will have to face his maker one day.

MSP2YYZ

Star Member
Apr 17, 2011
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Seattle
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-03-2011
Doc's Request.
08-10-2011
Nomination.....
n/a
AOR Received.
11/01/12
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
05-07-2011
Med's Request
11-01-2012
Med's Done....
30-01-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-12-2012
LANDED..........
16-12-2012
And of course, cases like yours are the reason CIC has implemented the Conditional PR for spouses.

I am very sorry that you had to go through this situation, and it is even worse that your kids were involved.

charmainefrances

Oct 24, 2011
St. Albert, Alberta
Visa Office......
CPC/VEGREVILLE TRANSFERRED TO CIC-EDMONTON
App. Filed.......
23-11-2010
File Transfer...
19-10-2011
Med's Request
12-10-2013
Med's Done....
23-10-2013 received by cic 31-10-2013
Interview........
12-09-2013 PASSED
Passport Req..
18-03-2014 PPR OF MY SON
VISA ISSUED...
10-06-2014
LANDED..........
June 24,2014 To God be the glory! PR CARD received: August 22, 2014 (exactly 60 days after landing)! Son's PR card arrived August 27, 2014 (exactly 65 days after landing)
I am really sorry that this happened to you! :( I really can't believe that there are people like him who does not have a heart or even a conscience to do this kind of thing! grrrrrr!!!!

LeisaP

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 18, 2012
Doc's Request.
ARC requested Sept 28,2012 ARC sent October 18,2012... RCMP Sent Dec 17,2012. Additional court documents sent March 25, 2013.
AOR Received.
Never
File Transfer...
April 5, 2012
Med's Request
First medical March 2011, REDO Medical July 30, 2012
Med's Done....
August 16, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 7, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27, 2013
LANDED..........
May 30, 2013
Sometimes I question when people just meet a person, get married, and wonder why there spouse "changes" after landing as PR. Because i feel like you dont know someone when it happens so fast..

But in your case, I really cant believe after 4 years He would do something like that! I am so sorry to hear this! :(
I cant even imagine how hurt you and your children are. Hearing stories like this is so sad and unfortunate. But the other posters are right he will get his, Karma is a strange thing.
I hope everything works out for you and you do find true love and happiness!

best Wishes, keep your head up :)

Patience21

Oct 11, 2012
I' m so sorry that you are going through this. You may not be able to see how your going to get through this but you are ... With time you will heal.
One day this guy will experience the same pain you are going through- it always comes right back to the person.

I'm not sure about your religious background but The Lord is a healer- please pray about your situation and you will see the blessings.

bagelbagel81

Jun 13, 2012
Sydney
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11th Jul 2012
AOR Received.
25th Sep 2012
File Transfer...
25th Sep 2012
Med's Done....
2nd Jul 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
17th Jan 2013
VISA ISSUED...
22nd Jan 2013
LANDED..........
6th June 2013!
I am so sorry to hear this happen to you, and could not even begin to understand how your trust and faith in this person was broken.
Thanks for sharing your story, I hope with time you can get to a better place emotionally and financially.

He will definitely get what is coming to him.

Wishing you all the best.

messenger

Champion Member
Nov 16, 2011
Thessaloniki, Greece
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26/2/2013
Doc's Request.
28/1/2014
AOR Received.
Stage 1 22/3/2013 & Stage 2 Aug 2013
File Transfer...
27-3-2013
Med's Done....
31-1-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
7-5-2014
VISA ISSUED...
13-5-2014
LANDED..........
17-7-2014
Hi.
I am new here and I feel for you dear! What he did is used you, used the system just to get access to Canada. I would not bother saying sympathies for you but the only thing I can tell you is get in touch with immigration and report the whole thing to them. This way you will get off the hook and he will get what's coming to him

Best of luck

Nevaeha

Champion Member
Aug 18, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 12, 2012
Doc's Request.
Police certificate re-do: Feb 25, 2013
AOR Received.
June 6, 2012
Med's Done....
January 9, 2012 Medical extension: Feb 25, 2013
Passport Req..
December 6, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
December 12, 2013
LANDED..........
December 25, 2013
Cdagal, I am so sorry this happened to you and your family, it is absolutely heart-wrenching to read your story. Stay strong, remain positive, believe that there are good men in this world, and know we are all here for you.

tuyen

Oct 19, 2012
Tronna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Cdagal said:
Many of you won't remember me, but many of you will. I sponsored my Nigerian spouse from Brazil and he landed in March of last year. It was a tough process, but we made it through.

On arrival, he was not the same man I had known and loved for almost 4 years prior. He was secretive, always lying to me and hiding money...never willing to discuss financial things with me at all. The close relationship and friendship I thought we shared became very one-sided almost right away.
There is nothing that can be done to my children and I, but hopefully this story helps someone.
I hope that the person it helps the most is you, and I hope it will serve as a stiff reminder if you should once again find yourself in a position of getting involved with someone from outside the country in the future.

I'm not familiar with your story, but if you didn't spend any time living with this person for some time before getting married, then you have to be willing to share half of the blame. I mean...the very fact that you chose to sponsor someone from Nigeria - a country that has become synonymous with the word "scam" - suggests to me that you were never really looking for warning signs, even if they were present.

As others have suggested, I hope that this guy gets what's coming to him.

Patience09

Nov 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 06 2013
AOR Received.
Jan 06 2014
File Transfer...
Jan 13 2014
Med's Done....
Nov 18 2013
I think whether or not she spent time living with him doesn't make much of a difference. Many spouses here don't have the benefit of living together before the sponsorship process, but they know their partner more than anyone. Others maybe lived together for years, and things just don't end up right.

Cdagal, I'm sorry you had to go through all of this. Just know that if you are a good person at heart, good things will come to you eventually. You can get through this with your kids. I also hope he gets what's coming to him

tuyen said:
I hope that the person it helps the most is you, and I hope it will serve as a stiff reminder if you should once again find yourself in a position of getting involved with someone from outside the country in the future.

I'm not familiar with your story, but if you didn't spend any time living with this person for some time before getting married, then you have to be willing to share half of the blame. I mean...the very fact that you chose to sponsor someone from Nigeria - a country that has become synonymous with the word "scam" - suggests to me that you were never really looking for warning signs, even if they were present.

As others have suggested, I hope that this guy gets what's coming to him.

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
Yes, sorry to hear of such ill will. The big red flag in this story that "I" see is how he was "...never willing to discuss financial things with me at all." AND YET HE was the one "depleting my substantial savings".

SO, he depleted your savings without ever discussing it with you!?

LOVE is WAY-blind!!

tuyen

Oct 19, 2012
Tronna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Patience09 said:
I think whether or not she spent time living with him doesn't make much of a difference.
On the contrary, I think it makes a world of difference.
Getting to know someone by TALKING to them every day is very different from LIVING with them every day. You get to know every little nuance about a person when you share your daily life, and it's completely inconceivable to me that if she was living with him, that he would NOT have given off any signals or indicators to at least raise some serious red flags in her mind.

Patience09 said:
Many spouses here don't have the benefit of living together before the sponsorship process, but they know their partner more than anyone.
To the first part of your point, yes, that's true - and if you don't have the ability to live together, then you're taking an even bigger risk and you have to be willing to live with the consequences. But as to the second part regarding "they know their partner more than anyone", how can that possibly be true? How can you KNOW a person "more than anyone" if the only contact you have is a few minutes on the phone or online every day? Maybe she "knew" her partner more than I did, because I obviously didn't know him at all, but I guarantee there are people in Nigeria who knew him a lot more than she did...and perhaps if she had the opportunity to live with him and meet some of those people, she would've had a lot of eye-opening moments.

Patience09 said:
Others maybe lived together for years, and things just don't end up right.
Yes of course, but there's a big difference between a marriage ending in divorce, versus a marriage ending in divorce that was founded on a scam.
Living together before marriage doesn't guarantee a happy lifelong marriage, but it would certainly help you in truly knowing whether this is a person you really do want to marry and live with.

Patience09

Nov 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 06 2013
AOR Received.
Jan 06 2014
File Transfer...
Jan 13 2014
Med's Done....
Nov 18 2013
I do understand your point tuyen, I didn't make my point very clear. I did not mean to compare couples who lived together with couples who have had little to no physical contact.

People who have not been able to 'live together' for years, but who have had the opportunity to visit each other (maybe extensively and regularly, maybe a few times), probably still have had situations in their relationship where one person has had to help the other out in difficult times, whether financially or emotionally. Or one person has had to sacrifice something for the other. Maybe they have been in a long relationship, maybe not. Of course never meeting the person except to get married is something else also.

The reason why I said that is because I've seen both types of scams. Where the couple never lived together, visited each other a few times, and where the couple lived together for at least a year. Once the sponsored spouse landed, they turned into completely different people and disappeared so quickly.

Sadly enough, I think the conditional restrictions is a good move, but there are still those people with all the patience in the world who would not mind waiting those 2 years out, then disappearing once the restrictions are over. It's amazing what some people would do.