+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

To apply or not to apply

pk10

Star Member
May 29, 2010
Hey all,

I am elligible to apply for citizenship in Sept of this year.

However, I have gotten a great business school offer abroad which coincidentally also being in Sept.

I can mail in my application - BUT the intend to reside clause might come back and haunt me.

The business school program will be for 2-years. Meaning if I come back and re-apply I will have to potentially wait another 4 years before I can get the citizenship.

My intent is to reside in Canada and I have been here now for 15 years. I have spent more than half my life here - but given that the B-school offer might be hard to turn down is it adviseable to apply for citizenship?

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Upto you to apply, its $630 you're looking at.
I doubt if should be an issue, if they ask u can always tell them thr truth. Just come back for test and oath.
Choice is really yours.

pk10

Star Member
May 29, 2010
Is there verification of passport and other travel documents when the citizenship test is administered?

From what I have heard it appears that the officers can refer you to secondary checks if they feel that you are in violation of the intent to reside clause.

arambi

Aug 16, 2014
canvis2006 said:
Upto you to apply, its $630 you're looking at.
I doubt if should be an issue, if they ask u can always tell them thr truth. Just come back for test and oath.
Choice is really yours.
Agree

Have you double check you physical presence days?
How many days in excess do you have?

bbssmm88

Star Member
Sep 2, 2016
Hi
The decision is your to make; we are here to offer suggestions ONLY. I suggest that you apply and stay here for the processing time, employment chances come and go, BUT you have invested 15 years of your life in Canada. Why waste or delay that valuable time? Besides, you do not want something serious like the "intent to reside" to haunt in the future.

Good luck.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
pk10 said:
Hey all,

I am elligible to apply for citizenship in Sept of this year.

However, I have gotten a great business school offer abroad which coincidentally also being in Sept.

I can mail in my application - BUT the intend to reside clause might come back and haunt me.

The business school program will be for 2-years. Meaning if I come back and re-apply I will have to potentially wait another 4 years before I can get the citizenship.

My intent is to reside in Canada and I have been here now for 15 years. I have spent more than half my life here - but given that the B-school offer might be hard to turn down is it adviseable to apply for citizenship?
Many schools can let their students defer the starting time for one year or one semester, have you tried to contact your program about this?

Rigly68

Apr 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
pk10 said:
Is there verification of passport and other travel documents when the citizenship test is administered?

From what I have heard it appears that the officers can refer you to secondary checks if they feel that you are in violation of the intent to reside clause.
Yes during your interview after the test the officer will look at your passport and/or travel documents.