+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TN Visa work from Canada

ciscoccie

Jul 2, 2014
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canadian citizen living in Toronto, due to lack of career opportunities (IT industry) I am thinking of relocating to US however I have family limitations due to which I cannot move for another 2 years so my plan is to move to Detroit/ Windsor, Seattle/Vancouver area and do the commute.

Many jobs gets listed on US job sites which says "candidate must be located near to a major airport" as the job is a travel one. I think if I tell company that I can move to Detroit or Seattle they might give me job based on TN Visa.

So I will still be a US non-resident and Canadian resident for a few years, willing to commute across border. I have seen that many people on forums do that with H1B but wondering has anyone done this with TN visa?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Wouldn’t really call wanting your wife to get Canadian citizenship family limitations. More like personal choice.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Many jobs gets listed on US job sites which says "candidate must be located near to a major airport" as the job is a travel one. I think if I tell company that I can move to Detroit or Seattle they might give me job based on TN Visa.

So I will still be a US non-resident and Canadian resident for a few years, willing to commute across border. I have seen that many people on forums do that with H1B but wondering has anyone done this with TN visa?
TN visa: First check the eligibility to see if you can qualify. Not many professions/jobs are qualified for TN visa. So you cant just apply for any job in the US.
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/employment/visas-canadian-mexican-nafta-professional-workers.html
Of course you can commute with any work visa like TN, H1, etc....
In my company few guys are commuting for the last 10+ years. So its not an issue.

ciscoccie

Jul 2, 2014
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
TN visa: First check the eligibility to see if you can qualify. Not many professions/jobs are qualified for TN visa. So you cant just apply for any job in the US.
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/employment/visas-canadian-mexican-nafta-professional-workers.html
Of course you can commute with any work visa like TN, H1, etc....
In my company few guys are commuting for the last 10+ years. So its not an issue.
Thankyou for the reply.
For TN I am eligible since I am in IT (networking/security) and have an IT diploma (3 years).
Now that I am confident TN can work out this way will dig further into it.
Based on my assessments Winsdor-Detriot and Seattle-Vancouver are 2 options to commute. Is there any pros or cons you could advise me based on which I should choose the area?
I also believe if the job is remote and requires me to travel ( and not be in office everyday)I can also relocate to Niagara Falls area and from there cross border. Is there a catch somewhere here as I don't see many people discussing Niagara Falls ?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Thankyou for the reply.
For TN I am eligible since I am in IT (networking/security) and have an IT diploma (3 years).
Now that I am confident TN can work out this way will dig further into it.
Based on my assessments Winsdor-Detriot and Seattle-Vancouver are 2 options to commute.
1. Is there any pros or cons you could advise me based on which I should choose the area?
2. I also believe if the job is remote and requires me to travel ( and not be in office everyday)I can also relocate to Niagara Falls area and from there cross border.
3. Is there a catch somewhere here as I don't see many people discussing Niagara Falls ?
1. Its nothing specific to the areas except the border open/close timings.
2. For travel related jobs, make sure you are able to prove that you work and roles are based on the definition given in the rules book.
3. They dont talk about it because all these guys are on H1 and most jobs would be in big cities hence most crowd here talks about big US cities and its closest Canadian border cities. I think that the guys working at niagara, baffalo or montana/dakota are not here in this thread.