+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tips to find job in Canada

Dec 17, 2014
I'd like to share a resource for people who are currently outside of Canada, planning to immigrate and settle in British Columbia, and will be looking for a job.

There is a free, six week, online job search workshop that may benefit many people who would like to learn things in a more systemic way and make their job search process a little bit easier before coming to Canada. The workshop is called Online Pre-arrival Job Search Strategies Workshop provided by MOSAIC BC. If you are already approved to come to Canada or is in the process of your application to immigrate to Canada, I encourage you to join.

The neat thing about this workshop is that it is delivered online, which means you can participate from your own country or home, anywhere outside of Canada.

Next start date is February, 23rd, 2015. If anyone is interested, please feel free to contact me at prearrivalservices@mosaicbc.com

In the workshop, a Vancouver-based instructor will share real-life tips and strategies to look for work the Canadian way, explain what employers are looking for, and work one-on-one with you to succeed in job interviews.

You will find an online application form on our website to register for the workshop. Simply email me for the website URL or google "MOSAIC Online Pre-arrival Services".

I hope this resource will help some of you coming to B.C. in the future!

Cheers.

rawdah

Champion Member
May 8, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-05-2013 PER Rec'd...: 07-08-2013
Doc's Request.
04-03-2014
Med's Request
23-09-2014
Med's Done....
24-09-2014
Passport Req..
PPR1:23-09-2014, PPR2: 20-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-10-2014
LANDED..........
04-12-2014
Papa Bomboy said:
Hello Handsup, you want to start by attending networking functions whether professional or social.

Say if you are an Engineer and you reside in Manitoba. You want to look for the Engineering regulating body in Manitoba or whatever province you reside. For example Apegm is the regulating Engineering body in Manitoba. The same goes for Geoscience.

These bodies set up all kinds of events all year round whether technical workshops or social mixers. You want to get in there and talk to your fellow peers and make sure you bring your business card whether employed or unemployed. You could be surprised to find people who are in the same boat as you.

The way I see is, If I want to be employed, I need to be around employed people.

Did I help you a bit?
Agree. Attending Networking events may be useful in the long run.

carina1

Mar 8, 2015
I have an management and marketing associates degree from my american school. I am contemplating getting my bachelor's degree from McGill university in Montreal, since that is where I will be moving. In all honesty, I really don't want to go back to school. Any advice? Thanks!

Menka2822

Apr 13, 2015
I am 27 year old and I have completed my graduation in Bsc. Mass Communication but I am working as Business Development Manager in an IT company for more than 5 years. Very soon I will be getting married to someone who has a Canadian PR. I have a good hold over English Language - Written and Spoken. I would like to know what are the best job prospects for me in Canada (British Columbia)?

Waiting and anticipation!

Best Regards

Savak

Star Member
Jun 2, 2015
I have been in Canada for the last 3 years now. Even though things have worked out for me as i finally managed to get into the system and get into my field and things are looking good now. But i will not be an arrogant self centred self interested narcasist immigrant who believes that the reason i got a job is because of myself, who derides, criticizes, mocks others who are less successful and are struggling.

Here are my findings

1) Canada has a huge Demand-Supply problem (Huge Supply of people, low demand for jobs)

2) Canadians for the most part are nice people but to say there is no discrimination here is absolutely jibberish and ridiculous. The discrimination here is less hostile, its more economic. Deep down you just know that there are a lot of people who hate immigrants.

3) Canada is a country of have's and have-nots. Its just like going into the Celebrity business. There will be winners and losers. No real formula for success.

4) This country is only for extremely social, extroverted people. These people excel at networking events and selling themselves. A natural introvert, shy person is going to find life very difficult over here given the fact that you have to kiss so many behinds to get ahead. For the shy, introvert, a country where their technical, education skills are more well respected is a far better option compared to a country which ruthlessly demands you sell yourself. If selling yourself was such a piece of cake for everyone then why would everyone not establish his own business?

5) Your luck, being in the right place at the right time is the real thing here.

Savak

Star Member
Jun 2, 2015
Networking is an overly abused term here. It is a term used by the natural extroverts to make fun of the natural introverts. In a networking session with recruiters, everybody knows why you are there, the recruiter knows why you are there, everyone knows the whole thing is a facade and that no one really cares about anyone deep down.

For all the introverts, i have only suggestion. Screw the concept of exposing yourself, your humiliation in person to thousands of people. Just contact people via email or telephone directly.

RajivShrivastav

Sep 15, 2012
If you are looking for job, please send your resume to anju@resumeservicescanada.com. She manages my calendar and arranges interview time slot and we will have a discussion on what you are looking for and how can I help. Alternatively reach out to Anju at Linked In at https://www.linkedin.com/pub/anju-thakur/5/7b5/948

Thanks

Rajiv

Pawings

Mar 29, 2015
RajivShrivastav said:
If you are looking for job, please send your resume to anju @ resumeservicescanada.com. She manages my calendar and arranges interview time slot and we will have a discussion on what you are looking for and how can I help. Alternatively reach out to Anju at Linked In at https://www.linkedin.com/pub/anju-thakur/5/7b5/948

Thanks

Rajiv

Hi Rajiv,

Ive been reading this forum for a week and find it very informative and helpfully for people like me dreaming of coming to canada to start a new life with love ones. i still believe that canada is still the land of many opportunities.
We are now in late stage of getting our visa and be soon landing in canada. as of this moment, me and wife still have not decided were to land in canada even though our first choices is in Regina, Sask and Winnepeg, Manitoba. Now were considering either ontario or edmonton.

hi seniors, and for those who are already in canada need your help and advice on where should be the best city to settle and eventually find a decent job. i am filipino with a degree in education major in Early Childhood Educ and my husband is also a degree holder with 8 years experience in a multi national and highly dynamic FMCG company.
of course i want to be a early childhood educator in canada but the question is how hard to find this job and what city would be the best? to add i dont have relatives in sask and manitoba,

anybody can comment and will really appreciate it....

thanks

RajivShrivastav

Sep 15, 2012
Hi,

Regarding your question on location, its depends on what you are looking for. Toronto is good for corporate jobs, banks, investments, health care + traffic issues+ relatively lower salaries. Calgary / Edmonton are mid size city good salaries, oil gas and construction jobs, good place to raise kids but very cyclical economy. To answer you question, finding jobs is not that hard (I am in the profession of finding jobs for people) and have helped 100s people all over the country.

I am lazy to write all details on email, if you need more information on all questions you may want to call me on 587-215-1675 or send me your resume at rajiv@resumeservicescanada.com and I will call you to answer all your questions.

Thanks

Rajiv

Sumanshagka

Jun 17, 2015
15 tips for landing a job in Canada: A guide for New Canadians

Whether you are reading this article in your home country or have just landed here, these guidelines will help you understand the ins and outs of looking for a job in Canada.

Conducting a job search in a new country comes after all your social and personal needs have been addressed says Julia Wilson, Employment Consultant at Woodgreen Community Services in Toronto.

Once you have your health, schooling, daycare, transportation and shopping situations under control you can then start thinking about finding a job. With over 15 years of experience coaching new Canadians to career success Julia offers these tips:

1.Before you leave home, make sure the city you are planning to move to is the best location for the work you do. If you are an engineer in the oil and gas industry, Calgary makes much more sense than Toronto as a destination. If you are an IT professional, Ottawa would be a better bet than many other Ontario cities.

2. The web is chalk full of employment resources and services for every city in Canada, google away. The more prepared you are the more confident you will feel that you have at least a basic lay of the land.

3. There are newcomer reception centres at the Vancouver and Toronto airports. Check out their locations on line before you land and make them your first stop.

4.Get comfortable with English as soon as possible. This is the most vital tool to job success. Employment centres can often offer language services in up to 25 languages, ask for help.

5. Ask for help, period. You probably don’t even know half of what you don’t know. Be inquisitive. Canadians are not particularly private people, they love to help others and don’t mind being asked for their opinions and advice.

6. Arrange for a needs and skill assessment either before you leave your home country or early on in your search. If your basic needs aren’t being met you aren’t ready to start a search. Once you know your skill set you have to learn how to articulate it for the Canadian audience… tell, don’t brag or boast, but do learn how to sell yourself.

7. Know that networking accounts for up to 75% of job opportunities. Read about how to do it, talk to people about how they do it and whom they know. Networking is telling not selling, so don’t fear it, embrace it. Networking works.

8. Build relationships in your own cultural circle and then ask your new friends to introduce you to people outside that circle, one at a time, slow and steady.

9. Attend public seminars and lectures, free sessions abound on multiple topics everywhere. The topic isn’t so important as is the chance to meet people from all walks of life with many different interests. These outings can be vital to building your connections, language skills, knowledge of Canadian mannerisms and etiquette, socializing, business practices not to mention food and clothing variances.

10. You can use the computers in libraries for free once you have a library card.

11.Observe and learn workplace communication and etiquette. If making eye contact and shaking hands with everyone you meet isn’t your norm, learn how to explain that you don’t do that or, practice, practice, practice to perfect those skills. Learn when etiquette is gender, age or rank based. If a woman interviewer asks a Muslim male to sit down in the interview room, forego “the woman goes first” and do as suggested.

12. Learn about Canadian small talk.

13. Locate and visit work sites relevant to your industry or profession and observe how people dress for work. Dressing for work on 8th Avenue in Calgary is way different than Main Street in Vancouver.

14. Ignore naysayers. Stick with the glass half full as much as you possibly can. If you can’t be a medical doctor in Canada persue a lesser job in a health care environment where your skills will be appreciated and you will be working with life minded people. There are jobs, new Canadians do get hired.

Jun 11, 2015
Hello guys,

just to add couple of cents to discussion. I know its tough out there for new immigrants with no local experience and people keep talking about networking as a key to job search. I have been in the job of finding job candidates for last 9 years and purely based on statistics only 27% of jobs are filled thru networking and remaining are through job portals and Linked In. I have placed at least 150 candidates in last one year purely by so called normal job search process through portal. As far as my experience goes key to success in this job market is following items

1) Fully customized resume and cover letter: Most of candidates just focus on sending generic resume and cover letter for the job and this typically leads to 1-2% conversion ( 2 interviews for 100 applications) however with custom resume and cover letter I have seen the conversion around 13-18%.

2) Another key component of success in today's market is effective LinkedIn profile, which is combination of effective key words, nice professional picture, comprehensive summary and engagement in various groups across the Linked In.

3) Additionally I strongly recommend candidates sending personalized short email to hiring manager (usually it is shown in linked in on the right).

With all that, I have been able to place all my candidates in about 60 days.

Hope it helps

Thanks

Anju

aitazaz

Jun 25, 2015
1. Learn the do’s and don’ts of working in Canada.

Baljit Chadha, came to Canada at age 21 and is now president of an international trade and marketing firm. He offers this advice in “You’re Hired. Now What? An Immigrant’s Guide to Success in the Canadian Workplace.”

“The working conditions in Canada may be different from what you are used to, so you have to adapt. For example, in Asia, when the boss speaks, everyone steps behind. Here, everyone speaks equally.”

2. Find out the company culture.

At your interview, you may have observed how people dressed and acted.

Were they dressed in business suits, or were people dressed casually?
Does the atmosphere seem structured, or more relaxed?
Were people moving quickly or at a more even pace?
Each company has its own rules, processes and procedures. It’s your job to figure this out by observing and asking questions.

3. Understand Your Manager's Needs and Objectives

“Learn what your manager wants from you,” says Shelley Brown, President of Bromelin People Practices. Not only should you get a job description for your job, but you should also ask for a copy of your manager’s objectives so you know what he or she is trying to achieve.

Brown says it’s also important to ask your manager how much responsibility you should take, how often you should report back, and how he or she prefers to be contacted – by phone, email, or at his or her office.

4. Learn about Canadian business communication styles.

In some Easter European cultures, communication is very direct. People may write emails such as “Send me the documents by 10 am.” They can appear rude and offensive to Canadians without realizing it. In other cultures, such as South Asian, people may not say exactly what they mean, in order to save face – but Canadians won’t understand what they are trying to say.

Canadians tend to use words and phrases that make it easier to work together, such as “How can we resolve this issue?” or “What could we do better next time?” instead of, “This work is unacceptable.” It’s important to understand how Canadians communicate to avoid misunderstanding.

5. Learn what professional behavior means in Canada.

Observe how the people above you dress and act in your company, and model yourself after them. Canadians are very time oriented, so be sure you always arrive a few minutes early, and never make anyone wait for you. Always do what you say you will do. Nothing makes a worse impression than promising something and not doing it.

6. Treat men and women equally in Canada.

“Treat women and men equally, with respect and courtesy,” says Sandra Bizier, Account Manager for TD Commercial Banking. “People make a big mistake when they only act respectful to executives, and disregard the administrative assistants.” This is important to note if you come from a culture that is based on rank and status.

In Canada, people notice if you only act respectfully to people who can further your career. You may also have a female manager, which may be new for you. Be sure to treat your female manager with the same respect you’d pay a male manager. You might also encounter a male assistant. Never be condescending to anyone.

7. Show initiative.

“A new professional in our department came from a culture where he didn’t question clients directly… He thought he was showing respect by not speaking unless he was addressed. His clients, however, were waiting for him to take the lead and provide solutions to their problems,” said Jeannine Pereira and Lynn Lapierre, Associate Directors for Ernst & Young LLP.

Lack of initiative is one of the most common misperceptions that managers have of immigrants from cultures such as East Asia, South Asia and Africa, where the workplace is based more on hierarchy. In these cultures, bosses tell employees what to do and how to do it. In most Canadian companies, managers expect you to take initiative and find solutions to problems. (Always check with your manager about how much initiative to take, because this can vary from one manager to another.)

What if you don’t get a job description or orientation, or there isn’t even a phone or desk set up for you when you arrive?

This is where initiative comes in. There is usually a “go to” person in every office – the person who takes pride in knowing where everything is, and how things function. Befriend this person, and ask for help in getting oriented. Don’t forget to say “Thank you!”

Here is the recipe for success: Learn about working in Canada. Figure out how your company operates, and what your manager expects from you. Then jump in and start contributing your best work!

ralliArt

Jan 28, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Jamaica
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Guys,

I'm curious! What is the success rate of NOC 2241 and 2133 in acquiring a Job in Canada and a new and prospective Immigrants ? I have over 8 years experience in Utility Maintenance primarily Transmission & Distribution of electricity (Substation and Protection and Control included) and almost all response I have received from Job Applications have turned me down for not having a landing status.

Can any one assist me in what i am doing wrong?

Things i've done include:

Have a Canadian resume Company professionally rewrite my resume, Cover Letter, and Linkedin page.

I have a Canadian Address that messages can be forwarded to and I'm able to be in Canada within a day if needs be.

I am even available via every means comprehensible to acquire an interview. Yet no luck to date.

I am an Associate Member in OACETT and I also have my application being processed by APEGA for my Foreign License (Electrical Discipline).

I need help. Any one here can advice?