+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tips on adjusting newlife in canada for newcomers

Bobby554

Star Member
Aug 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Given below are very useful links for every newcomer to CANADA, go through it....extremely informative..

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/welcome/index.asp
http://www.toronto.ca/immigration/

...Bobby554

Bobby554

Star Member
Aug 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tips for Immigrants to Canada
The new immigrant to Canada often experiences a rough ride during the initial period. Every day is a free rollercoaster ride. Only at the end of the day do the butterflies in the stomach decide to stop flying around. And in a period of global recession, the job market is on pins and needles.

Not everybody sits on the rollercoaster. Some have it easy. But for most immigrants to Canada, it takes a while to secure employment. But, then, patience is the key. Sooner or later, one's resume manages to attract attention and the phone rings. This is just stage one of the bumpy journey that will thereafter be replayed periodically for most immigrants.

However, with the first paycheck, things change vastly. You can head for the superstore with a newly found confidence and slowly one stops counting pennies. Suddenly you don't feel ``loonie'' but the dollar does (Canada's one-dollar coin is known as the loonie). And it will help you buy things that you once thought were out of your reach.

But things are even better if you work for a good employer. To the extent possible, try seeking employment in commercial establishments owned and run by third- to fifth-generation Canadians and please don't be naive enough to enquire whether they fit the bill. If you have an option, do seek employment at a Canadian company. Chances are, you will not regret it.

Working for one's people from one's own ethnic group has its benefits; however, you might find your employers tend to carry forward the same employer-employee attitude that is reminiscent of the old world. I offer this advice based on my observation and the experiences of people with whom I have interacted.

A prospective Canadian employer sizes up a prospective immigrant based on his or her own references. Work hard and well so that when you leave you will have a good reference to present to your new employers. Nothing goes unnoticed in Canada ― especially good work. In many parts of the Third World, good work does not necessarily improve your position in the company because of the built-in nepotism. But in Canada, good work is instantly recognized. The system is designed to reward initiative and hard work.

English proficiency helps in acclimatization in Canada but even if one were to practice English 14 hours a day, there will always be something lacking and that lacuna will only be filled in the next generation. In the circumstances it is better to concentrate on content rather than syntax and style of speech. I am an ESL teacher in Canada but there are still people who find my accent different. It does not bother me. If anything, I think such a distinctive identity is key to a multicultural society.

And to think that English is the be all and end all of things is not exactly the right attitude. If I were Korean, I would speak as much Korean to my Korean brothers and sisters as would make me feel comfortable in Canada. I must remind myself that what Canada actually expects of me is that I make my contribution to the country's socio-economic machine and then withdraw into my own identity if I choose to.

The author is an Indo-Canadian freelance writer and was editor of ``Daywatch'' newspaper from 2006 to 2007. Now semi-retired at the age of 61 and in Surrey, British Columbia, Canada, he can be reached at alansdaywatch @ gmail.com.

...Bobby554

To all my friends on this forum...lets all work hard after landing in Canada,after all Hard work is key to success..and if they are ready to accept us as their brother and sisters then we should fulfill their expectations to the fullest and set an example for our kids to follow by becoming a responsible ,educated,peace loving, and hard working citizen of that lovely country...and contribute towards their Economic growth ...

phdmaker

Jan 11, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Bobby554 said:
Given below are very useful links for every newcomer to CANADA, go through it....extremely informative..

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/welcome/index.asp
http://www.toronto.ca/immigration/

...Bobby554
Bobby554 said:
The new immigrant to Canada often experiences a rough ride during the initial period. Every day is a free rollercoaster ride. Only at the end of the day do the butterflies in the stomach decide to stop flying around. And in a period of global recession, the job market is on pins and needles.

Not everybody sits on the rollercoaster. Some have it easy. But for most immigrants to Canada, it takes a while to secure employment. But, then, patience is the key. Sooner or later, one's resume manages to attract attention and the phone rings. This is just stage one of the bumpy journey that will thereafter be replayed periodically for most immigrants.

However, with the first paycheck, things change vastly. You can head for the superstore with a newly found confidence and slowly one stops counting pennies. Suddenly you don't feel ``loonie'' but the dollar does (Canada's one-dollar coin is known as the loonie). And it will help you buy things that you once thought were out of your reach.

But things are even better if you work for a good employer. To the extent possible, try seeking employment in commercial establishments owned and run by third- to fifth-generation Canadians and please don't be naive enough to enquire whether they fit the bill. If you have an option, do seek employment at a Canadian company. Chances are, you will not regret it.

Working for one's people from one's own ethnic group has its benefits; however, you might find your employers tend to carry forward the same employer-employee attitude that is reminiscent of the old world. I offer this advice based on my observation and the experiences of people with whom I have interacted.

A prospective Canadian employer sizes up a prospective immigrant based on his or her own references. Work hard and well so that when you leave you will have a good reference to present to your new employers. Nothing goes unnoticed in Canada ― especially good work. In many parts of the Third World, good work does not necessarily improve your position in the company because of the built-in nepotism. But in Canada, good work is instantly recognized. The system is designed to reward initiative and hard work.

English proficiency helps in acclimatization in Canada but even if one were to practice English 14 hours a day, there will always be something lacking and that lacuna will only be filled in the next generation. In the circumstances it is better to concentrate on content rather than syntax and style of speech. I am an ESL teacher in Canada but there are still people who find my accent different. It does not bother me. If anything, I think such a distinctive identity is key to a multicultural society.

And to think that English is the be all and end all of things is not exactly the right attitude. If I were Korean, I would speak as much Korean to my Korean brothers and sisters as would make me feel comfortable in Canada. I must remind myself that what Canada actually expects of me is that I make my contribution to the country's socio-economic machine and then withdraw into my own identity if I choose to.

The author is an Indo-Canadian freelance writer and was editor of ``Daywatch'' newspaper from 2006 to 2007. Now semi-retired at the age of 61 and in Surrey, British Columbia, Canada, he can be reached at alansdaywatch @ gmail.com.

...Bobby554

To all my friends on this forum...lets all work hard after landing in Canada,after all Hard work is key to success..and if they are ready to accept us as their brother and sisters then we should fulfill their expectations to the fullest and set an example for our kids to follow by becoming a responsible ,educated,peace loving, and hard working citizen of that lovely country...and contribute towards their Economic growth ...
I really appreciate for your great work. Outstanding posts dear :)

+1 for you again.....

Cheers.

SATDXB

Champion Member
Sep 11, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-Aug-09
Doc's Request.
02-Oct-09
File Transfer...
06-Oct-09
Med's Request
18-08-10
Med's Done....
09-09-10
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-01-2011 - Passport sent on 22-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
11-04-2011
LANDED..........
19th May 2011- Thanks to Almighty!
Bobby554 said:

...Bobby554

[
Great WORK .... +1 from me too..

Cheers...

niwrrehs

Dec 5, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Canadian Embassy Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Doc's Request.
January 2010
File Transfer...
January 2010
Med's Request
June 2010
Med's Done....
July 2010
Passport Req..
September 2010
VISA ISSUED...
October 2010
LANDED..........
March 24 2011
thanks bobby for extending that veryvery nice post to us... for sure it may help us in landing.

Bobby554

Star Member
Aug 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fariza said:
Very organized and well focused post Bobby..... Really appreciate and + 1 for you
Thanks Fariza once again and thanks for +1

...Bobby554

Bobby554

Star Member
Aug 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
phdmaker said:
I really appreciate for your great work. Outstanding posts dear :)

+1 for you again.....

Cheers.
Thank you so much dear friend...for +1 too...

...Bobby554

niwrrehs

Dec 5, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Canadian Embassy Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Doc's Request.
January 2010
File Transfer...
January 2010
Med's Request
June 2010
Med's Done....
July 2010
Passport Req..
September 2010
VISA ISSUED...
October 2010
LANDED..........
March 24 2011
Pushing it up guys

fariza

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2010
Australia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
niwrrehs said:
Pushing it up guys
Howz things with you friend since landing... Looking forward to hear more from you on post landing experiences when you have time. cheers