+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tips for new comers to find a job in Canada

mit90

Nov 23, 2018
Hello There
I am moving to canada by this Year, and i am searching for all things that can help me find a job when i land. so i have few questions if anyone can answer please.

1- can a degree assesment from WES or others helps you get a job ?
2-if my work experience was in a multinational company , does that qualify me to work in a senior position in well known companies in Canada, without having canadian experience?
3- what are the things that helps any new comer to get a job ?

thank you

Reactions: astra_cub

xylene

Apr 16, 2010
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-June-2010
Doc's Request.
05-Oct-2010
AOR Received.
07-Feb-2011
File Transfer...
In Process 24-May-2012
Med's Request
04-Sep-2013
Med's Done....
16-Sep-2013 | 28-Oct-2013 'Medical Received' line in eCAS
Passport Req..
PP reached NDVO on 19-Sep-2013
VISA ISSUED...
DM 23-Jan-2014
LANDED..........
Apr 2014
Hello There
I am moving to canada by this Year, and i am searching for all things that can help me find a job when i land. so i have few questions if anyone can answer please.

1- can a degree assesment from WES or others helps you get a job ?
2-if my work experience was in a multinational company , does that qualify me to work in a senior position in well known companies in Canada, without having canadian experience?

thank you
1. No unless you have the experience and skills required for the job.. it might help for licensing, if it is a regulated job
2.No. Canadian experience is not just on the skill set .It is also the soft skills . For example if you were a senior sales person in non English speaking country you cannot expect the hiring manager to hire you for a sales job here unless you are able to convince him/her .
Think about transferable skills .
3. Research. References to get leads. More research. LinkedIn and other job websites again all depends on your skillset and industry .

If you have already got your PR spent the rest of the time researching .

mit90

Nov 23, 2018
1. No unless you have the experience and skills required for the job.. it might help for licensing, if it is a regulated job
2.No. Canadian experience is not just on the skill set .It is also the soft skills . For example if you were a senior sales person in non English speaking country you cannot expect the hiring manager to hire you for a sales job here unless you are able to convince him/her .
Think about transferable skills .
3. Research. References to get leads. More research. LinkedIn and other job websites again all depends on your skillset and industry .

If you have already got your PR spent the rest of the time researching .
thank you @xylene
is there any recomended hiring agencies in Montreal to start with ??

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Would add to the above to take time adapt your CV/resume into a Canadian format, sounds strange but different countries sometimes use different formats so putting your resume into a format employers are familiar with is a start.

mit90

Nov 23, 2018
Would add to the above to take time adapt your CV/resume into a Canadian format, sounds strange but different countries sometimes use different formats so putting your resume into a format employers are familiar with is a start.
hey @Bs65 thanks for the tip
if you have a format that you can share on this thread it would be great

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Hello There

1- can a degree assessment from WES or others helps you get a job ?
Employers in Canada have no idea what WES/ or WES Evaluation is. It has no bearing on your ability to get a job, but it will help you in getting enrolled in Bridging programs in your field (which is quite useful for a newcomer)
Previous work experience in a known multinational company is definitely helpful, although that alone may not be enough - because you lack the local knowledge of your industry/field/market and lack local contacts. However its probably your most important asset/card that you need to leverage when marketing yourself to prospective employers.
Bridging programs (in your field) are a very powerful tool if you know how to make use of it. I got my job via a bridging program that helped me connect with potential employers in my field/ people with hiring authority.
Before immigrating, i had previous work experience in one of the well-known Tech Multinational Companies - i would say previous experience + the local industry knowledge and contacts gained from the Bridging Program is what helped me get employed. Good luck!
thank you

Last edited:

mit90

Nov 23, 2018
Employers in Canada have no idea what WES/ or WES Evaluation is. It has no bearing on your ability to get a job, but it will help you in getting enrolled in Bridging programs in your field (which is quite useful for a newcomer)

Previous work experience in a known multinational company is definitely helpful, although that alone may not be enough - because you lack the local knowledge of your industry/field/market and lack local contacts. However its probably your most important asset/card that you need to leverage when marketing yourself to prospective employers.

Bridging programs (in your field) are a very powerful tool if you know how to make use of it. I got my job via a bridging program that helped me connect with potential employers in my field/ people with hiring authority.
Before immigrating, i had previous work experience in one of the well-known Tech Multinational Companies - i would say previous experience + the local industry knowledge and contacts gained from the Bridging Program is what helped me get employed. Good luck!
Really helpful ! thank you very much

mit90

Nov 23, 2018

1- is there any recommended college in Montreal to enroll in a bridging program ?
2- is the bridging program useful for non regulated professions ( sales, sales management, etc..)?

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
1- is there any recommended college in Montreal to enroll in a bridging program ?
Hmm, i do not know much about Montreal, but i really think the GTA has a larger variety of Bridging Programs i, the below program is what i would recommend if you were going to land in Toronto/GTA:

http://www.accesemployment.ca/sales-and-marketing-connections

Do you have to land in Montreal?

I did a quick google search for Bridging programs in Montreal, below is what i found - have a look and see if it makes sense for you (mind you i do not know french, i guess if you are fluent in French you'd probably be able to get more/better results:

https://www.mcgill.ca/continuingstudies/fr/service-conseil-en-transition-professionnelle

This is a sales certificate program (i don't know if it would be helpful or not, you can do a bit of research on that)
https://www.hec.ca/en/executive-education/programs/seminars/certification-programs-for-sales-professionals.html

2- is the bridging program useful for non regulated professions ( sales, sales management, etc..)?
Yes, Bridging Programs are useful for any field both non-regulated and regulated, the greatest value comes in the connections that the Program organizers have with Companies that are hiring.

Last edited:
Reactions: mit90

mit90

Nov 23, 2018
Hmm, i do not know much about Montreal, but i really think the GTA has a larger variety of Bridging Programs i, the below program is what i would recommend if you were going to land in Toronto/GTA:

http://www.accesemployment.ca/sales-and-marketing-connections

Do you have to land in Montreal?

I did a quick google search for Bridging programs in Montreal, below is what i found - have a look and see if it makes sense for you (mind you i do not know french, i guess if you are fluent in French you'd probably be able to get more/better results:

https://www.mcgill.ca/continuingstudies/fr/service-conseil-en-transition-professionnelle

This is a sales certificate program (i don't know if it would be helpful or not, you can do a bit of research on that)
https://www.hec.ca/en/executive-education/programs/seminars/certification-programs-for-sales-professionals.html

Yes, Bridging Programs are useful for any field both non-regulated and regulated, the greatest value comes in the connections that the Program organizers have with Companies that are hiring.
Yes i've chosen Montreal in my application of sponsorship, however my French is Fair and i think (correct me if I'm wrong) the requirements of Montreal Job market requires perfect French business communication. therefore i might consider moving to Toronto after receiving my PR.
i checked http://www.accesemployment.ca/sales-and-marketing-connections. seems the right way to start your career journey

Reactions: emamabd

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
Best advice I can give. Do not expect to come and get a great job straight away. Have a back up plan. Too many people think that they have had a great job in their home country, it's a given that they will get a great job in another country.

mit90

Nov 23, 2018
Best advice I can give. Do not expect to come and get a great job straight away. Have a back up plan. Too many people think that they have had a great job in their home country, it's a given that they will get a great job in another country.
yes I've been told that before, and i am willing to get any starting job to earn the daily expenses . however i will do my best to prepare my self to target the right job that fits my qualifications, whatever helps.
thanks for the advice.