+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tips for 2016 (Future) PGP Applicants

Luda345

Star Member
Dec 11, 2015
vitlen said:
By the way, is there some link that is specifying this restriction? I mean, the one that mentions the US-Cuba visits do not count?
For instance, my mom is from Visa-exempt country, and allowed to stay in Canada for half a year with her passport.
Now, she has a USA visa, so I thought maybe to take her there for a few days and bring her back.
According to what you're saying, this might not work, even though she doesn't require visa to Canada.
I've hear about this before, but cannot find it written.
It's all up to a border officer's discretion. Officer is making a decision about the length of your stay when you are entering Canada.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
mamaburger said:
. So, by allowing immigrants to bring their parents with them would seem more attractive for them to move here in the first place.
Yes however there is no measurable proof that shows or quantifies how important the PGP program is to attracting new immigrants. There certainly wasn't any slow down in PR apps to Canada when the PGP program went on hold for several years. And there is still no slow down with all these new restrictions and cap added.

In fact immigrants can't really bring their parents with them as it stands now. First they need to get 3 years of qualifying Canadian income plus another year for the final tax return, and then there is no guarantee they will even make the cap. So it's at least 4+ years before they can even think of applying... and then a long processing time during which if either parent develops any health problems they may become ineligible. Plus at any time Canada can decide to pause or completely change up the program again... perhaps requiring a sponsor to be a citizen to sponsor like in the USA, or increasing wait times to 20 years like in Australia.

I can see the attraction of a PGP program for immigrants, but it's very risky for this to be a deciding factor for anyone as the rules can change at any time. IMO even if the PGP program got progressively more restrictive and difficult, Canada would still continue to see a very little if any measurable effect to our skilled worker immigration application rate.

I've never indicated the program should be cancelled, just saying it needs to be controlled at a reasonable level to protect taxpayers. I continue to keep an eye on the PGP program since my wife may want to sponsor her parents some day.

vitlen

Star Member
Jan 2, 2014
screech339 said:
There is no written rule on how often you can came back or when you can come back like some countries do. For example 3 month stay every 6 month period.

You have to convince the border that you will observe the rules and not overstay. Leaving to US and returning to Canada is legal but CBSA may think overwise what's your intention is in Canada. Are you trying to "live" in canada? That sort of thing.
Luda345 said:
It's all up to a border officer's discretion. Officer is making a decision about the length of your stay when you are entering Canada.
Got it, thanks folks. Kind of risky business...

vitlen

Star Member
Jan 2, 2014
vinabloor said:
Thank you for your reply ... A lot of folks here talked about authorization hold that I do not know how to check as I do not use online banking
... I am so worried ...
I called on the phone yesterday, and the automatic system told me both the balance and available credit. Isn't it the same for you? I'm TD Visa just in case.

hoveran

Jun 21, 2014
talespin said:
Seems like a lot of sponsors here have the mis-conception that by signing a 20 year bond, they are taking the 'entire' burden of their parents off of this country's tax payers. Two words for you - health care! I for one never forget that being able to bring my parents here is a privilege not a right! You can argue over the caps (conservative vs. liberal) but this privilege cannot be taken for granted! There are perceived benefits to this sponsorship program but citizens of this country by birth are entitled to their opinions as those that are voiced in the comments of that story. I'd like to see how many hands go up if the sponsorship program required that all or a percentage of healthcare costs be funded by the sponsors. That will separate those that genuinely want to reunite with their parents vs. those that have the convenience of health care in mind as one of the main reasons of their sponsorship.
If the PGP requires sponsors to pay for health care, guess who would have applied for immigrating to Canada?

Canada wants to attract skilled young people. Mostly likely these people are from a country that is relatively well run and they themselves and their family aren't doing bad in their home country either. Thus most likely their parents have access to decent health care at reasonable cost in their home country. If a potential immigrant to Canada knew her parents won't be able to reunite with her in Canada due to the prohibitive medical cost, why would she immigrate to Canada? She is not crazy, right? Staying in home country is much better choice.

Then who will come to Canada instead? those whose parents are already dead and who don't have reasonable health care solution in their home country. These people are either old or uneducated and unskilled. Why would Canada want to attract these people to immigrate to Canada?

So hey Canada, there is no free lunch in the world. There is no such thing that you can grab the people educated by other countries to contribute to your economy without paying any cost. If you want to attract good immigrants, you need to pay the price.

vinabloor

Jan 2, 2016
vitlen said:
I called on the phone yesterday, and the automatic system told me both the balance and available credit. Isn't it the same for you? I'm TD Visa just in case.
The automatic system told me about the balance and available credit, but the balance is the one which will be shown on mystatement for the next payment .... You will know if the available credit change right away. We talked to a Credit card agent as well ... there is no charge from CIC ... I am worried because one person here got the application received at the same time ... same courier and same signature, and got charged ... not my case :-(

vitlen

Star Member
Jan 2, 2014
vinabloor said:
The automatic system told me about the balance and available credit, but the balance is the one which will be shown on mystatement for the next payment .... You will know if the available credit change right away. We talked to a Credit card agent as well ... there is no charge from CIC ... I am worried because one person here got the application received at the same time ... same courier and same signature, and got charged ... not my case :-(
You know, me and my husband were charged with 2.5 days difference, although our applications were one after another. I hope this eases your mind a little.

planningtogo

Aug 1, 2011
Bacolod, Philippines
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vinabloor said:
I had the same concern before but you just have to wait and see for the charge from CIC vinabloor. The application of person you are referring to might be in the hands of another CIC personnel and yours with the other. Each person has his/her own pace or may we call it process in checking an app. The other may be fast, the other, otherwise.

I know where you're coming from because that's what I felt when I was waiting for the charge. Focus your mind on other things, do something to divert your thinking.

I even rechecked my payment form for my CC info and called my CC company too to make sure but the charge only appeared the following day.

As what I've posted previously, some applicants from 2015 were charged after 20+ days that there application was received (hoping for a shorter time-frame for you as this is torture).

Hang in there! Be positive :) :)

planningtogo

Aug 1, 2011
Bacolod, Philippines
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canpuneet said:
Trying to do that now. Am I supposed to update in New Entry tab in a new line and Rossie will transfer or do I need to update this in line 6 where I select my username?
I don't want to mess it up, though Rossie has made it quite toddler proof

Sorry, logged out.

Yes, use the 'new entry' tab (just utilize the A6 field or any blank field below it). You can choose your name and the date CC was charged. Admin will just update your info on the 'timeline' tab.

:)

delcan25

Jan 3, 2016
dchoudh said:
CIC only asks for Certified Cheaque based on my experience, and not receipt...Certified Cheaque in itself is confirmation that you have made it from a bank.
Great. Thats a relief. I wish i had come across this great forum. Came to know about it from a friend on Jan 2 when I still had my app with me. Read the posts relevant on getting my application on time. Hopped in my car for Toronto and made it for Jan 4, 8:40AM.

vinabloor

Jan 2, 2016
planningtogo said:
I had the same concern before but you just have to wait and see for the charge from CIC vinabloor. The application of person you are referring to might be in the hands of another CIC personnel and yours with the other. Each person has his/her own pace or may we call it process in checking an app. The other may be fast, the other, otherwise.

I know where you're coming from because that's what I felt when I was waiting for the charge. Focus your mind on other things, do something to divert your thinking.

I even rechecked my payment form for my CC info and called my CC company too to make sure but the charge only appeared the following day.

As what I've posted previously, some applicants from 2015 were charged after 20+ days that there application was received (hoping for a shorter time-frame for you as this is torture).

Hang in there! Be positive :) :)
Thank you! Nightmare ;-(

OP_POP

Oct 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vinabloor said:
Thank you for your reply ... A lot of folks here talked about authorization hold that I do not know how to check as I do not use online banking
... I am so worried ...
Good time to start using it. Makes it way easier to monitor your charges.

hoveran

Jun 21, 2014
No change in application rate. Just different kind of applicants. You know.

Rob_TO said:
Yes however there is no measurable proof that shows or quantifies how important the PGP program is to attracting new immigrants. There certainly wasn't any slow down in PR apps to Canada when the PGP program went on hold for several years. And there is still no slow down with all these new restrictions and cap added.

In fact immigrants can't really bring their parents with them as it stands now. First they need to get 3 years of qualifying Canadian income plus another year for the final tax return, and then there is no guarantee they will even make the cap. So it's at least 4+ years before they can even think of applying... and then a long processing time during which if either parent develops any health problems they may become ineligible. Plus at any time Canada can decide to pause or completely change up the program again... perhaps requiring a sponsor to be a citizen to sponsor like in the USA, or increasing wait times to 20 years like in Australia.

I can see the attraction of a PGP program for immigrants, but it's very risky for this to be a deciding factor for anyone as the rules can change at any time. IMO even if the PGP program got progressively more restrictive and difficult, Canada would still continue to see a very little if any measurable effect to our skilled worker immigration application rate.

I've never indicated the program should be cancelled, just saying it needs to be controlled at a reasonable level to protect taxpayers. I continue to keep an eye on the PGP program since my wife may want to sponsor her parents some day.

boorishbrat1

Jan 6, 2016
GideonSword said:
It is rigged!
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2016/01/12/immigration-sponsors-reportedly-paying-couriers-to-get-applications-to-front-of-line.html
What do you mean by "Rigged" ? Yes, I agree that the system is flawed but to give it a fraudulent undertone is totally preposterous.
The article critiques the shortcomings of CIC's process (which is true to an extent) - but you sir, very conveniently misconstrued it with your coloured vision to declare it "Rigged". Sounds like the case of sour grapes by a loser.