Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
thecoolguysam said:
True. But thinking on the other hand that our parents/grand parents need us during their old age. They have done their since we were born till we got independent and now it's our time to make sure that we take care of them during their old age. Basically, we are wanting our parents/grand parents to unite here in Canada so that we can take care of them during their old age.

Healthcare, and other tax-funded things are separate concerns.
soonihope said:
With all due respect to this drain on healthcare argument, a country such as Canada relies heavily on immigration to maintain/increase its population by cherry picking the best possible migrants from across the whole globe.

Theses potential new residents/citizens did have family including parents overseas before coming here and to expect them to somehow no longer care or want to be reunited is unfair.
Yes and that's why the PGP program should continue. Compared to other countries, Canada is one of the most generous in the world when it comes to allowing parents in and what services those parents are immediately entitled to.

But you have to also be realistic. The majority of parents/grandparents are immigrating here after their working years. The cost and demand on healthcare will be a very significant amount over the rest of their lives, and will not be made up by the sponsor. It's a cost to the rest of Canadian taxpayers and just adds to already ridiculously long wait times for healthcare services. So there needs to be quotas/caps that will still allow the program to run and let PRs being their parents here, but also minimize the burden of all the taxpayers who are paying for it.

Remember that any new immigrant to Canada can immediately bring their parents here with a supervisa. The process is quick and very high approval rate. The only real difference is that supervisa doesn't offer healthcare and needs to be re-applied for every 10 years. However to many this option is not good enough, because really they want their parents to be able to use Canada's healthcare system and benefits if needed.

ainpfamily

Feb 15, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rob_TO said:
The only real difference is that supervisa doesn't offer healthcare and needs to be re-applied for every 10 years.
one major difference personally for us is that they can not work on Super Visa. My parents came on Super Visa but did not like it here as they wanted to work (they are still in working age) and not be a dependent on their kids for day to day expenses.

Unless they draw on the savings which does not make sense if they can work.

eurmione

Jun 12, 2013
manitoba
Visa Office......
CPP - Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
end of Feb 2013 for CSQ and April 9, 2013 for Federal
Nomination.....
CSQ received on March 13, 2013
AOR Received.
June 5, 2013
IELTS Request
wave
Med's Request
june 12, 2013
Med's Done....
june 14, 2013. Med received on ECAS: August 19, 2013
Interview........
RPRF on Sept 3, 2013. ECAS status change to in process on Sept 3, 2013
Passport Req..
Nov 18, 2013, Decision Made Nov 19, 2013 sent PP same day
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 1, 2013
LANDED..........
Dec 17, 2013 (same day of PP return)
Rob_TO said:
The 20 year undertaking is basically only for welfare. By "social services" the person is indicating tax-funded things like healthcare, GST/HST credits, etc.

In a way they are right, which is why the PGP program needs to have strict quotas. Our healthcare system is stretched as it is, so have to be careful when allowing in new PRs that are at the age where people start to use the most healthcare services.
Only 10 if you live in Quebec ;)

Luda345

Star Member
Dec 11, 2015
Rob_TO said:
Remember that any new immigrant to Canada can immediately bring their parents here with a supervisa. The process is quick and very high approval rate. The only real difference is that supervisa doesn't offer healthcare and needs to be re-applied for every 10 years. However to many this option is not good enough, because really they want their parents to be able to use Canada's healthcare system and benefits if needed.
I've heard about lot of cases where parents were allowed to stay for 6 months only by an officer in airport despite the fact they had the so-called supervisas in their passports.
And after that 6 monhs they should go back home and then come again. And no, visiting the US-Cuba-etc doesn't count.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Rob_TO said:
Yes and that's why the PGP program should continue. Compared to other countries, Canada is one of the most generous in the world when it comes to allowing parents in and what services those parents are immediately entitled to.

But you have to also be realistic. The majority of parents/grandparents are immigrating here after their working years. The cost and demand on healthcare will be a very significant amount over the rest of their lives, and will not be made up by the sponsor. It's a cost to the rest of Canadian taxpayers and just adds to already ridiculously long wait times for healthcare services. So there needs to be quotas/caps that will still allow the program to run and let PRs being their parents here, but also minimize the burden of all the taxpayers who are paying for it.

Supervisa does not allow parents to work. Also, health care here is so expensive that it's not affordable for a common man who is a citizen of another country who comes to Canada and pay for the healthcare. People with supervisa have health care coverage which is still limited to some amount. In our home country, healthcare is not very expensive and is affordable.

As the age advances, the person is more prone to sickness and illness, which requires healthcare. However, not every parent/grandparent will require access to critical health care services like for diabetes, heart ailments, arthiritis (some people remain healthy till their end of life) although visiting a doctor for minor illness would be common. Yes, for critical health care needs, there would be some burden on tax payers money however it does not apply to every parent/grandparent as I explained above.

My grandfather lived 85+ years of life and my grand mother lived 80+ years of life in my home country and they spent their whole life healthy without any major ailments except common ailments like flu, fever etc.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
thecoolguysam said:
Supervisa does not allow parents to work.
Very true. A definite improvement to the supervisa would be including an OWP with it, though I doubt that will happen.

As the age advances, the person is more prone to sickness and illness, which requires healthcare. However, not every parent/grandparent will require access to critical health care services like for diabetes, heart ailments, arthiritis (some people remain healthy till their end of life) although visiting a doctor for minor illness would be common. Yes, for critical health care needs, there would be some burden on tax payers money however it does not apply to every parent/grandparent as I explained above.
You have to look at averages. It's statistically proven that amongst all Canadian residents, people aged 65+ account for just 15% of the population but represent almost 50% of all of Canada's healthcare costs. As the average person ages, they present more and more demand and cost on the system in terms of routine doctor visits, hospital visits, and subsidized drugs. There are public reports to see all this data.

Stats show the average age of a newly arrived sponsored parent/grandparent, is 65. This is generally after their working and tax paying years. The average person aged 65 will cost $6500 per year in healthcare, at 75 will cost $12000 per year, and average person aged 80 will cost $21000. Of course some will use very little, and some will use much much more, but these are the numbers that will average out. So when letting in 20,000 aged parents/grandparents per these are the types of numbers that will realistically be seen and need to be consdiered in terms of balancing the compassionate/social aspect, with the financial one.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Rob_TO said:
Very true. A definite improvement to the supervisa would be including an OWP with it, though I doubt that will happen.

You have to look at averages. It's statistically proven that amongst all Canadian residents, people aged 65+ account for just 15% of the population but represent almost 50% of all of Canada's healthcare costs. As the average person ages, they present more and more demand and cost on the system in terms of routine doctor visits, hospital visits, and subsidized drugs. There are public reports to see all this data.

Stats show the average age of a newly arrived sponsored parent/grandparent, is 65. This is generally after their working and tax paying years. The average person aged 65 will cost $6500 per year in healthcare, at 75 will cost $12000 per year, and average person aged 80 will cost $21000. Of course some will use very little, and some will use much much more, but these are the numbers that will average out. So when letting in 20,000 aged parents/grandparents per these are the types of numbers that will realistically be seen and need to be consdiered in terms of balancing the compassionate/social aspect, with the financial one.
I completely agree to what you have said. What can we do. Healthcare is expensive every where in western/developed countries.

Giving another example for healthcare being expensive in Western/developed countries : If a person visits any western/developed country on a visitor visa and has a heart attack and angiography/angioplasty is done (stents are installed) then that person has to cough up thousands of dollars (5 to 6 figure) whereas in my home country or may be in some other countries, same can be done for less than few thousand dollars (4 digit).

In western/developed countries, technology is advanced, more money is invested thus the cost of equipment and other healthcare services come with a higher price.

All we want is that we should take care of our parents during their old age by taking care of them and making sure that they are happy till their last breath.

As being a common man, I don't know all these technicalities but yes everything needs to be balanced as per your comments in your previous post.

thinktriplets

Star Member
Jan 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
talespin said:
Seems like a lot of sponsors here have the mis-conception that by signing a 20 year bond, they are taking the 'entire' burden of their parents off of this country's tax payers. Two words for you - health care! I for one never forget that being able to bring my parents here is a privilege not a right! You can argue over the caps (conservative vs. liberal) but this privilege cannot be taken for granted! There are perceived benefits to this sponsorship program but citizens of this country by birth are entitled to their opinions as those that are voiced in the comments of that story. I'd like to see how many hands go up if the sponsorship program required that all or a percentage of healthcare costs be funded by the sponsors. That will separate those that genuinely want to reunite with their parents vs. those that have the convenience of health care in mind as one of the main reasons of their sponsorship.
Well said –and thought.

emceemouli

Aug 7, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thinktriplets said:
Well said –and thought.
totally agree with what everyone says but not in thread..lets start sharing the updates tomorrow...goodluck guys....

mamaburger

Jan 6, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rob_TO said:

You also have to consider other factors in regards to your argument. Yes, on average older individuals are more susceptible to illness therefore, needing more health care, more visits to doctors, hospital, increase wait time, which in turn is putting a strain on born and bred Canadians who have been paying taxes all their lives to fund the system. That's quite a slippery sloped argument. In my opinion, PGP is part of a "package" for attracting young professionals like yourself or anyone of us here in this forum, who inevitably has paid their dues in taxes and contributing to the Canadian economy. Don't forget that Canada's population is aging, in 2011 the median age population is 39.9 years due to low fertility rates. Without immigration attracting younger folks, as good as the health care is now, it will be bogged down further by the aging population who were born and bred here with no one to continue to pay for it. So, by allowing immigrants to bring their parents with them would seem more attractive for them to move here in the first place.

All most of us want is just to have our parents close to us, because they had given their all for us to come here. I highly doubt that if in fact, our government decides to scrap social services for our parents, do you think we would sit around and not do anything? I would expect any one of us to fork out as much as we can afford to get them the care they need.

pektusin

Nov 21, 2015
Luda345 said:
I've heard about lot of cases where parents were allowed to stay for 6 months only by an officer in airport despite the fact they had the so-called supervisas in their passports.
And after that 6 monhs they should go back home and then come again. And no, visiting the US-Cuba-etc doesn't count.
Exactly. That makes the Supervisa useless in some cases. Supervisa forces elder people traveling too much for their age turning them into super-travelers (it is also costs $$$$), they have to keep their real estate in the origin country and so on. I'd like to see the Supervisa free of these restrictions.

canadian_legend

Sep 2, 2015
My credit card's CVV code starts with Zero which, when I entered in the payment form, it got removed automatically, leaving only last 2 digits of the CVV code. Like 0XX changed to XX only.
After few tries, I removed the CVV code altogether from the form and hand wrote it after printing the form.
Would this be an issue?
I believe this is a flaw in the CIC form, should be fixed or maybe I was doing something wrong.

kh31017

Jan 12, 2016
mamaburger said:
You also have to consider other factors in regards to your argument. Yes, on average older individuals are more susceptible to illness therefore, needing more health care, more visits to doctors, hospital, increase wait time, which in turn is putting a strain on born and bred Canadians who have been paying taxes all their lives to fund the system. That's quite a slippery sloped argument. In my opinion, PGP is part of a "package" for attracting young professionals like yourself or anyone of us here in this forum, who inevitably has paid their dues in taxes and contributing to the Canadian economy. Don't forget that Canada's population is aging, in 2011 the median age population is 39.9 years due to low fertility rates. Without immigration attracting younger folks, as good as the health care is now, it will be bogged down further by the aging population who were born and bred here with no one to continue to pay for it. So, by allowing immigrants to bring their parents with them would seem more attractive for them to move here in the first place.

All most of us want is just to have our parents close to us, because they had given their all for us to come here. I highly doubt that if in fact, our government decides to scrap social services for our parents, do you think we would sit around and not do anything? I would expect any one of us to fork out as much as we can afford to get them the care they need.
Well said!

Quoi

Star Member
Jan 5, 2016
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 4th, 2016
canadian_legend said:
My credit card's CVV code starts with Zero which, when I entered in the payment form, it got removed automatically, leaving only last 2 digits of the CVV code. Like 0XX changed to XX only.
After few tries, I removed the CVV code altogether from the form and hand wrote it after printing the form.
Would this be an issue?
I believe this is a flaw in the CIC form, should be fixed or maybe I was doing something wrong.
Since the payment form is not a bar code page, i assume it will be handled manually and therefore, if it's written neatly, i dont think it will be an issue.
Crossing my fingers for yoU!

talespin

Jan 4, 2016
canadian_legend said:
Would this be an issue?

Not going to be an issue at all. I had the same problem and mine was charged!