+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Tip how to get 50 points without LMIA

jojee2k6

Sep 6, 2016
Hi, here's a tip what to answer to receive 50 points for valid job offer without LMIA.

My situation: I'm BC PNP nominated and thanks to BC PNP support letter, I applied for close work permit which I've been on in Canada now. In my express entry profile I filled following and it gives me 50 points even I didn't have LMIA issued:

Section Intended work in Canada:

1. Do you have a valid job offer
"yes"
2. Is this job offer for work that is full time, continuous and for at least one year?
"yes"
3. Is this job offer for work that is non-seasonal?
"yes"
4. NOC code?
Mine is 4163 (category A)
5. Is th employer an embassy, consulate or high commission in Canada?
"no"
6. Is an employer on the list of ineligible employers with the Government of Canada?
"no"
7.Was a positive LMIA issued for the job offer in Canada?
"no"
8. Are you currently working in Canada?
"yes"
9. Do you have a valid work permit for the current job in Canada?
"yes"
10. Is your job offer from the employer named on the current work permit?
"yes"
11. Have you been working full-time for the employer on their current work permit for at least one year?
"yes"
12. Was a positive LMIA issued for the current work permit?
"No - my work permit is exempt from an LMIA for other reasons and is employer-specific"
@DelPiero07 , @kryt0n! Regarding bold question 11, I have a question. I started postdoc in march-18 and will be completing in march-19 my 1st year on lmia-exempted closed wp. As current wp expiring , I applied for renewal of closed wp in favor of my renewed postdoc contract for 2 yrs more expiring in feb-2021. In few days i will receive renewed closed wp valid up to feb-2021. Now in march, would i be eligible to secure 50 points, given i already would have by march 1 yr xp with current employer and have valid job offer for 2 yrs more? But confusion is on same current wp in question 11...as current wp expiring and will get renewed wp ....i am really confused here as i was believing n planning to apply for pr under cec by gaining 50 points for job offer and 1 yr inland xp....kindly clarify if i am able to secure those 50 points or not...please assist...thanks

shomaro

Jan 6, 2020
@DelPiero07 , @kryt0n! Regarding bold question 11, I have a question. I started postdoc in march-18 and will be completing in march-19 my 1st year on lmia-exempted closed wp. As current wp expiring , I applied for renewal of closed wp in favor of my renewed postdoc contract for 2 yrs more expiring in feb-2021. In few days i will receive renewed closed wp valid up to feb-2021. Now in march, would i be eligible to secure 50 points, given i already would have by march 1 yr xp with current employer and have valid job offer for 2 yrs more? But confusion is on same current wp in question 11...as current wp expiring and will get renewed wp ....i am really confused here as i was believing n planning to apply for pr under cec by gaining 50 points for job offer and 1 yr inland xp....kindly clarify if i am able to secure those 50 points or not...please assist...thanks
Dear @jojee2k6, could you please follow up your story? I'm in the similar situation now, and wondering if an extension of my current closed work permit until about 2 years from the day I submit my application will be safe. Did you get this 50 points later?

jojee2k6

Sep 6, 2016
Dear @jojee2k6, could you please follow up your story? I'm in the similar situation now, and wondering if an extension of my current closed work permit until about 2 years from the day I submit my application will be safe. Did you get this 50 points later?
Yes.all went well, I got 50 points of valid kob offer. Get ur wp extension upto 2 years atleast, and u r good to go. Good luck. I am PR now.
You should meet 3 criteria:
- have been working wid that employer since 1 yr.
- hold valid job offer with same employer, i.e. wp extension.
- your job offer shud be valid for one yr atleast, after u obtain the PR. I.e. extended wp should be more than 1 yr, that's why i got 2 yr renewed close lmia exempted work permit.
Postdoc role is lmia exempted job and closed wp with university. If you meet all these, then hakunamatata!
Thanks a ton to esteemed members here like @jes_ON , @DelPiero07 , @scylla , @kryt0n who always goes an extra mile to help us.

Last edited:

shomaro

Jan 6, 2020
Yes.all went well, I got 50 points of valid kob offer. Get ur wp extension upto 2 years atleast, and u r good to go. Good luck. I am PR now.
You should meet 3 criteria:
- have been working wid that employer since 1 yr.
- hold valid job offer with same employer, i.e. wp extension.
- your job offer shud be valid for one yr atleast, after u obtain the PR. I.e. extended wp should be more than 1 yr, that's why i got 2 yr renewed close lmia exempted work permit.
Postdoc role is lmia exempted job and closed wp with university. If you meet all these, then hakunamatata!
Thanks a ton to esteemed members here like @jes_ON , @DelPiero07 , @scylla , @kryt0n who always goes an extra mile to help us.

Thank you so much @jojee2k6 Yes I have 1yr work experience as a postdoc (LMIA exempt) with the same employer with a closed work permit. The only problem is though my offer and work permit is going to be extended until about 2 years when I apply, the HR probably won't give a letter saying that they will maintain my offer for one year after I obtained my PR status. This is the only term that I'm worrying about: whether with only a 2-year offer and work permit without the confirmation of "offer valid for one year after IRCC give me PR" will work for that 50 pts.

jojee2k6

Sep 6, 2016
Thank you so much @jojee2k6 Yes I have 1yr work experience as a postdoc (LMIA exempt) with the same employer with a closed work permit. The only problem is though my offer and work permit is going to be extended until about 2 years when I apply, the HR probably won't give a letter saying that they will maintain my offer for one year after I obtained my PR status. This is the only term that I'm worrying about: whether with only a 2-year offer and work permit without the confirmation of "offer valid for one year after IRCC give me PR" will work for that 50 pts.
Your Renewed work permit contract is b sufficient to prove by expiry date that you will be employed for more than 1 yr after you get pr. Additionally get letter from hr or supervisor as current experience letter. In my letter nothing was written like this phrase, but only duration of contact, subjected to availability of funds and i had renewed my wp first then applied for pr with that renewed wp + signed renewed contract + current letter from supervisor + initial postdoc signed ontact at joining. Get 2 yr renewed contact, sign it, apply for renewal of wp, once obtained apply for pr with these docs. Your current wp must be expiring hence renew wp first and get 2 yr wp then go for pr. I applied for renewal after 8 months of joining, until i completed my first yr, i already had renewed wp at 12th month, while entering in 13th month, I accepted first ITA of that month by claiming 50 points and CEC 1 yr xp points. You are good to go. Good luck!

Last edited:

shomaro

Jan 6, 2020
Your Renewed work permit contract is b sufficient to prove by expiry date that you will be employed for more than 1 yr after you get pr. Additionally get letter from hr or supervisor as current experience letter. In my letter nothing was written like this phrase, but only duration of contact, subjected to availability of funds and i had renewed my wp first then applied for pr with that renewed wp + signed renewed contract + current letter from supervisor + initial postdoc signed ontact at joining. Get 2 yr renewed contact, sign it, apply for renewal of wp, once obtained apply for pr with these docs. Your current wp must be expiring hence renew wp first and get 2 yr wp then go for pr. I applied for renewal after 8 months of joining, until i completed my first yr, i already had renewed wp at 12th month, while entering in 13th month, I accepted first ITA of that month by claiming 50 points and CEC 1 yr xp points. You are good to go. Good luck!
Thanks. Actually my current WP is for 2 years, starting from June 2019. My supervisor is seeking to extend it to June 2022 right now because I would be eligible to apply this June 2020. Hope this will not be a problem. Thanks for your advice and confirmation!

jojee2k6

Sep 6, 2016
Thanks. Actually my current WP is for 2 years, starting from June 2019. My supervisor is seeking to extend it to June 2022 right now because I would be eligible to apply this June 2020. Hope this will not be a problem. Thanks for your advice and confirmation!
Yes, in ur case u need until June 2022, then all set. Good luck!

harryguns

Sep 27, 2019
@shomaro @jojee2k6
Hi There,
I am in a similar situation. I am on a closed WP and is valid till April 2020. Last year I submitted my PR application in Aug 2019 and availed the Job offer 50 points. Recently I got my WP extension filed by the employer for additional 2 years. Do you think this will be considered as valid job offer? In my offer of employment no where it is mentioned that "he will be employed for 1 year after PR visa is issued"

vinnanji

Sep 14, 2018
Are you on intra company transfer? Working for same company in Canada and in your home country?
Hi,
I have the same question. I am on intra company transfer from US and i have been working in a Functional Manager position in Canada for the past 1 year with the same employer on my Closed work permit as a fulltime with the employer. I have the LIMA Exempt Number starting with "A". As i have already worked with the company for 1 year in Canada and i have been working in the same role in US for more than 7 years now, can i claim that i have a valid job offer with the Employer and LIMA Exempt in Canada for 50 points as i already completed 1 year of experience in Canada with the employer? I have plans of going back to US later this year. What happens when i claim these valid 50 points and submit the proof of employment in Canada from the Employer now but go back to US when the PR is still in progress? I will not have a job offer in Canada but have a valid job offer with the same employer in the US. Can you please clarify this if anyone has this scenario?

vinnanji

Sep 14, 2018
Hi,
I have the same question. I am on intra company transfer from US and i have been working in a Functional Manager position in Canada for the past 1 year with the same employer on my Closed work permit as a fulltime with the employer. I have the LIMA Exempt Number starting with "A". As i have already worked with the company for 1 year in Canada and i have been working in the same role in US for more than 7 years now, can i claim that i have a valid job offer with the Employer and LIMA Exempt in Canada for 50 points as i already completed 1 year of experience in Canada with the employer? I have plans of going back to US later this year. What happens when i claim these valid 50 points and submit the proof of employment in Canada from the Employer now but go back to US when the PR is still in progress? I will not have a job offer in Canada but have a valid job offer with the same employer in the US. Can you please clarify this if anyone has this scenario?

vinnanji

Sep 14, 2018
Hi friends, I need some help on the immigration. I currently live in Calgary and moved from USA last year through intra company transfer closed work permit that was LMIA exempt. I also gained one year of Canadian experience. With that my score went to 465 due to Canada experience and valid job as I am still working in Canada for my employer as a functional manager. This was due to a merger and I came to lead an initiative. Recently I got an ITA due to CEC catagory. I am not sure if the points allocated in the ARA (Arranged Employment) is valid and should I accept the ITA. The questions when filling is about job offer and currently working in Canada and LMIA exempt and these are all yes and hence I got the 50 points. But once I apply I have plans of moving back to the US by this December. If a PR isn’t issued by then would I get rejected as I don’t have a valid job offer in Canada but I work for the same company in the USA and my work permit is valid until 2021 end. I am unable to find if the information i provided is correct or should I say no valid job in Canada that would put back my score to 415. Please guide.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi friends, I need some help on the immigration. I currently live in Calgary and moved from USA last year through intra company transfer closed work permit that was LMIA exempt. I also gained one year of Canadian experience. With that my score went to 465 due to Canada experience and valid job as I am still working in Canada for my employer as a functional manager. This was due to a merger and I came to lead an initiative. Recently I got an ITA due to CEC catagory. I am not sure if the points allocated in the ARA (Arranged Employment) is valid and should I accept the ITA. The questions when filling is about job offer and currently working in Canada and LMIA exempt and these are all yes and hence I got the 50 points. But once I apply I have plans of moving back to the US by this December. If a PR isn’t issued by then would I get rejected as I don’t have a valid job offer in Canada but I work for the same company in the USA and my work permit is valid until 2021 end. I am unable to find if the information i provided is correct or should I say no valid job in Canada that would put back my score to 415. Please guide.
I don't think this specific scenario is covered anywhere on the IRCC website. However if you are under an LMIA exempt work permit, then I think logically you would still need to be working in Canada to claim the 50 points. If you leave Canada and move to the U.S. then I think you would need an approved LMIA to claim the points. So if you do as expected, I think you will lose the 50 points and be rejected.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Also - I'm assuming you're aware that you need a letter from your employer as part of your PR application guaranteeing that you will have your job in Canada for at least one year after you become a PR.

vinnanji

Sep 14, 2018
What if i move back to the U.S during the processing time? I wouldn't qualify to claim the 50? I have plans of moving back to the US with the same employer at the same role after i apply. Does the valid job offer from the employer need to state that i will be employed in Canada for at least one year after the PR is issued? If yes, even though i am working in Canada on a closed Work Permit for the employer, i cannot claim that i have a valid job offer in Canada right because i will be moving back to the US? Can you please clarify this?

Umarama29

Jun 26, 2020
What if i move back to the U.S during the processing time? I wouldn't qualify to claim the 50? I have plans of moving back to the US with the same employer at the same role after i apply. Does the valid job offer from the employer need to state that i will be employed in Canada for at least one year after the PR is issued? If yes, even though i am working in Canada on a closed Work Permit for the employer, i cannot claim that i have a valid job offer in Canada right because i will be moving back to the US? Can you please clarify this?
Hi ,
Did you get response to this query. I have same question. What will happen if I had to returning back to US/ India and continue working for same employer after applying PR. Will the PR application be still valid?
Note: My employer will be providing job offer which states that I will be having a valid job for 1 yr after my PR is issued..