+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Time's up? Implied Status- can I return.

Lena

Nov 24, 2010
Vancouver
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-06-2010
Interview........
01-06-11
LANDED..........
01-06-11
Hi bloggers,

I'm a US citizen, I applied inland for spousal PR in June, still no word, and my visitor record expires this week. I applied for extension 4 weeks ago and I understand I will be under "implied status". The problem is must leave Canada for 6 weeks (USA and Australia). What is the likelihood I will be let back into Canada?

Please help!

Thank you.

kelKel

Champion Member
Apr 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2010
AOR Received.
17-11-2010
File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
03-03-2011
Hi Lena you're technically under implied status now but that is void if you leave the country. Having submitted an inland application you take a risk of your application being abandoned should you leave the country and not be allowed back in. If you do decide to leave it would be very wise to bring with you a copy of your application, receipt ect. Many people from visa exempt countries that have applied inland have been able to reenter from listening to others on the forum.

Love_Young

Champion Member
May 22, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 16, 2010
Med's Done....
June 16, 2010
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
June 01, 2011[img]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/SimsFC/icons/smileys/flag-canada.gif[/img] [img]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/patriot.gif[/img]
You will hear back from your extension in 2-3 more months. You are correct and do have implied status during the wait after your current status expires. If you leave Canada you aren't guaranteed to be let back in as nobody is. If you cannot get back into Canada your inland application will be denied. All the work, effort, money, and time it took to put together would go to waste. You would then have to start all over and apply outland. My advice would be to just not leave at all and don't take the risk.

Lena

Nov 24, 2010
Vancouver
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-06-2010
Interview........
01-06-11
LANDED..........
01-06-11
Thanks for your feedback, but I have to leave Canada! My father is quite ill and we have an overseas trip planned, altogether that puts us out of Canada for 6 weeks. How could we be more persuasive to the IO? For example, a testimony from a lawyer, a doctor's note, ... we'll do anything to help the case, but cancelling the trip is not possible right now.

Jurjen

Nov 1, 2010
Québec
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville (inland)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-10-2010
Med's Done....
01-06-2011
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
19-10-2011 @ Montreal
Having to leave Canada and come back is not a reason why they would reject you at the border. If you come back to Canada, you've lost your implied status, so you'll be entering like any other visitor (if you have the nationality of a visa waiver country, you re-enter through that program, otherwise you need a new entry visa from your embassy).

At the Canadian border, just make sure that you have nothing that might get you rejected: enough finances, no intentions for work if you don't have your work permit, make it credible that you can support yourself for the period in which you're allowed to stay in Canada (usually 6 months) and that you'll go back if after those 6 months you don't have a new permission to stay (i.e. your open work permit that you requested along with the PR demand for the first stage approval).

Get this all straight and there will be no real reason why you could be denied. But: no guarantees!

Lena

Nov 24, 2010
Vancouver
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-06-2010
Interview........
01-06-11
LANDED..........
01-06-11
Would having some ammunition like this clause from the enforcement manual ENF04 section 13.2 help my case?

"temporary residents seeking re-entry to Canada from the U.S. or St. Pierre and Miquelon, after applying to renew their status, remain under their original status until a decision is made and they are notified [R183(5)]). These people are considered to have implied status."

Finally, what is the worst case scenario. If they deny me entry and cancel my residency application, can I not just enter Canada again as a visitor and start my application again (but this time from *outside* of Canada like I should have done to begin with!) ?

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
Lena said:
Would having some ammunition like this clause from the enforcement manual ENF04 section 13.2 help my case?

"temporary residents seeking re-entry to Canada from the U.S. or St. Pierre and Miquelon, after applying to renew their status, remain under their original status until a decision is made and they are notified [R183(5)]). These people are considered to have implied status."

Finally, what is the worst case scenario. If they deny me entry and cancel my residency application, can I not just enter Canada again as a visitor and start my application again (but this time from *outside* of Canada like I should have done to begin with!) ?
I have asked the same question about this part of ENF04 - the problem is that it's not clear what it's supposed to mean. And, if the officer assessing you isn't considering it, what are you going to do about it? You're the only one with something to lose and, in my experience, officers at ports of entry do not like it when you try to tell them what you're allowed and not allowed to do. Getting one of them angry at you is not something you want.

So, this is a tough call. Generally, inland applicants are advised not to leave the country during processing. That's because the inland process requires that you be resident with your sponsor in Canada in order to be approved and, because all parts of the process happen within Canada (including the landing interview). If you're not here, you can't be finalized. It's not like CIC is going to find out you left the country and punish you by running your application through the shredder! If you can get back in, your inland PR ap will continue to process. In fact, your application would continue processing even if you can't get back in - until your sponsor has to withdraw it in order to apply again outland.

So "can't I just enter Canada again as a visitor and submit a new (outland) application?" doesn't make sense. If you are denied re-entry, the potential is there that you'll be separated from your partner until you get PR - and that means after he has withdrawn the inland ap, gotten confirmation, and you've started all over again with new medicals, new processing fees, new criminal clearances and a new outland application. If you're allowed back in, your inland PR ap goes on like nothing ever happened - because they'll never know you left. So, the real gamble is not them "cancelling" your application because you leave - it's that the officer assessing your re-entry to Canada does not (ever) have to let you in. Even visa-exempt foreign nationals have to demonstrate that they intend only to stay temporarily. When you are in relationship with a Canadian, and especially when you have a PR ap in process, you can't prove that you don't intend to stay in Canada permanently - and that gives the officer assessing you the right to refuse you entry. If you were non-visa-exempt, you'd never get a TRV after applying for PR - however, being visa-exempt does give you a bit of an advantage. It's still possible, if your sponsor is accompanying you, that you'd be allowed to re-enter Canada after visiting your father. Not because he's ill, not because you have a PR ap in process, not because you have any right to enter Canada just because you're married to a Canadian. If they find out you have a PR ap in process you'll be sent to secondary. And if they let you back in, it will only be because your sponsor asks them to.

You're in a really tough spot - I know because I've been there. I've had to sit tight knowing my son was in the hospital with a broken leg, I missed my aunt's funeral, and last year when my 84 year old mother fell and broke her hip, I couldn't go. She was in bad shape, but I knew I would not get back into Canada if I left (because our refusal was still under appeal). Unlimited long distance is not like being there - but sometimes it's all you've got and it has to do. Fortunately my Mom recovered . . . still can't say whether the same can be said of my relationship with my sons.

The bottom line is that none of us can tell you for sure that you will be allowed back into the country. Even if you had applied outland you would not be assured of being able to come back. The only difference would be that the outland PR application processing would not be affected by your not being able to come back. Between now and when you get PR, leaving Canada means possible separation from your partner until your PR is finalized. You have to decide if that's a gamble you're willing/able to take. If you can't, you can't go - no matter what happens at home. I wish you the best.

chandu007

Jan 29, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You always have the option to apply outland, for example Buffalo, which will be faster than inland processing. At this point, you can cancel your inland processing and get your money back since the processing has not been started yet. You can then re-apply for outland processing by submitting new papers to Mississauga.

chandu007

Jan 29, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
June applications will take at least 3 more months for first stage processing.