+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Timeline for Federal Appeal

Muj

Star Member
Jun 25, 2018
Hello,

I am in the process of applying for a Study Permit for September 2020. My lawyer suggested that we make a very strong application since I have a rough history with Canada. If it doesn't workout she mentioned we can make a Federal Court Appeal, which they strongly recommend.

I don't have any experience with Federal Appeal and I would like to know more about it? How does it work? Timeline?

Could anyone suggest a a good time to submit my application ? I checked on IRCC and they mentioned 3-6 months time prior to the start of term is the ideal time. Given that information I should be applying for it in next two months, but considering the possibility of a federal court appeal I am not sure where to draw the line.

Thanks in advance for any information related to this.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hello,

I am in the process of applying for a Study Permit for September 2020. My lawyer suggested that we make a very strong application since I have a rough history with Canada. If it doesn't workout she mentioned we can make a Federal Court Appeal, which they strongly recommend.
I don't have any experience with Federal Appeal and I would like to know more about it? How does it work? Timeline?
Could anyone suggest a a good time to submit my application ? I checked on IRCC and they mentioned 3-6 months time prior to the start of term is the ideal time. Given that information I should be applying for it in next two months, but considering the possibility of a federal court appeal I am not sure where to draw the line.

When you mention “ rough “ history, are you referring to your unauthorized one year overstay on your previous stay ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

It's really impossible for any of us to comment on timelines. With COVID-19, you should assume that application processing will take longer than normal and that a federal court appeal may also be impacted and take longer. None of us know how much longer or how long this will all last.

IMO a federal court appeal will be a waste of money in your case. Put together as strong an application as you can and hope it is approved. If it is not approved, my recommendation would be to set aside your immediate plans to study in Canada and instead continue your studies in your home country or another country. But that's just my opinion.

Muj

Star Member
Jun 25, 2018
It's really impossible for any of us to comment on timelines. With COVID-19, you should assume that application processing will take longer than normal and that a federal court appeal may also be impacted and take longer. None of us know how much longer or how long this will all last.

IMO a federal court appeal will be a waste of money in your case. Put together as strong an application as you can and hope it is approved. If it is not approved, my recommendation would be to set aside your immediate plans to study in Canada and instead continue your studies in your home country or another country. But that's just my opinion.
Thank you for the info. Can you comment on regular processing time for a federal court appeal? (If the covid situation wasn't around). I am still very skeptical about the appeal, but I want to use it as a deadline so my lawyers apply on time.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for the info. Can you comment on regular processing time for a federal court appeal? (If the covid situation wasn't around). I am still very skeptical about the appeal, but I want to use it as a deadline so my lawyers apply on time.
3-6 months more or less.