+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Time Spent Outside Canada while PR of Canada

nghafor123

Nov 2, 2018
Dears

my wife has recently got her PR Card, and we went to Canada to do the landing and check how to settle and prepare for our move to Canada. However, due to my children schoolings still study in our current country of residence (outside Canada) and due to my work commitment , we had to travel back to our country of residence out of Canada so that we can finish up schools for our daughters etc,. then returned to Canada, So my question is : is the time spent outside Canada for my wife with a Canadian citizen considered and counted toward the days of citizenship? note that I and my daughters are already Canadian citizens. I am working abroad in a private firm.
Appreciate your advise and reply

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Dears

my wife has recently got her PR Card, and we went to Canada to do the landing and check how to settle and prepare for our move to Canada. However, due to my children schoolings still study in our current country of residence (outside Canada) and due to my work commitment , we had to travel back to our country of residence out of Canada so that we can finish up schools for our daughters etc,. then returned to Canada, So my question is : is the time spent outside Canada for my wife with a Canadian citizen considered and counted toward the days of citizenship? note that I and my daughters are already Canadian citizens. I am working abroad in a private firm.
No - it does not count towards citizenship.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
why it does not since there are conditions on the Canada immigration website, it mentioned it can count since with a Canadian citizen accompany a family member?
You're confusing the residency requirement rules for maintaining PR status with the residency requirement rules for citizenship.

Take a look at the IRCC site again and you'll see that what you were reading only applies to the residency requirement for PR.

She needs to be physically living in Canada to count time towards citizenship. Time outside of Canada doesn't count.

Reactions: YVR123

nghafor123

Nov 2, 2018
You're confusing the residency requirement rules for maintaining PR status with the residency requirement rules for citizenship.

Take a look at the IRCC site again and you'll see that what you were reading only applies to the residency requirement for PR.

She needs to be physically living in Canada to count time towards citizenship. Time outside of Canada doesn't count.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
why it does not since there are conditions on the Canada immigration website, it mentioned it can count since with a Canadian citizen accompany a family member?
No. It doesn't. In some cases, it may count towards her residency obligation. But not citizenship.

Even RO, it depends on how the case is viewed. (Both of you never settled back in Canada at any point and you are continuing your current job overseas).

As those who questioned about IRCC asking for proof of relocating back to Canada and think it's not necessary, here you go.

nghafor123

Nov 2, 2018
Ok Thanks.
so how long can my wife as a new PR holder stay outside Canada, is it not more than 6 months?
No. It doesn't. In some cases, it may count towards her residency obligation. But not citizenship.

Even RO, it depends on how the case is viewed. (Both of you never settled back in Canada at any point and you are continuing your current job overseas).

As those who questioned about IRCC asking for proof of relocating back to Canada and think it's not necessary, here you go.
So those days spent outside Canada accompanying a Canadian Citizen can be counted days for calculating number of days as PR?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
So those days spent outside Canada accompanying a Canadian Citizen can be counted days for calculating number of days as PR?
It's depends.

Time Lived in Canada
To keep your permanent resident status, you must have been in Canada for at least 730 days during the last five years. These 730 days don’t need to be continuous.
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=727&top=10
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/understand-pr-status.html
So it's 2 years within the first 5 years and after that, it's a rolling 5 years.

Can my time abroad count toward my permanent resident status?

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1466&top=10

nghafor123

Nov 2, 2018
It's depends.

Time Lived in Canada
To keep your permanent resident status, you must have been in Canada for at least 730 days during the last five years. These 730 days don’t need to be continuous.
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=727&top=10
So it's 2 years within the first 5 years and after that, it's a rolling 5 years.

Can my time abroad count toward my permanent resident status?

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1466&top=10
Thanks.
just wanted to check again, how long can my wife stay outside Canada without losing her PR status? does she have to to return to Canada every 6 months?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thanks.
just wanted to check again, how long can my wife stay outside Canada without losing her PR status? does she have to to return to Canada every 6 months?
As I posted, there is no every 6 months rule. Some provinces may have other RO for keeping her provincal healthcare coverage. But if she is not looking into settling soon, she likely won't be covered at all anyway.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks.
In simple terms, from the date she landed to the five year anniversary of that day, she must be inside Canada 730 days (outside Canada less than 1095 days). It's easier to use the 'less than 1095 days' rule - if she returns after 1094 days abroad, she's still in compliance; two days later - not in compliance and can't be.

After that five year anniversary, same rule, but looking back five years, with the count being done on any day at all that eg crosses a border.

Reactions: YVR123

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Dears

Usually you can count time accompanying your Canadian spouse abroad towards your RO for PR but since she never moved to Canada and established herself in Canada there is a good chance that you won’t be able to count the days. Too many people were doing exactly what you are doing and having the spouse land and return to their life abroad. Too many people not relocating back to Canada is why there is now a requirement to provide a lot of proof that your family will actually moving to Canada for a spouse to even get approved for sponsorship.

When your family returns to Canada she can start counting days towards her RO.