+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Time spent as PR for citizenship, 730 days or 1,095 days?

rawnasareeb

Jul 17, 2017
Hi all,

A bit confused here in regards to how much spent I would need to spend in Canada as a permanent resident to be eligible for citizenship.

In the communication I have received and from other sources (such as below), my understanding is that I need to spend 730 days to maintain my permanent resident status. Source below:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/who-can-apply.html

However, under bill C-6 effective in 2017, time spent for citizenship must be 1,095 days. Sources below:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/eligibility.html
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2017/10/changes_to_the_citizenshipactasaresultofbillc-6.html

I was a university student in a 4 years bachelor program in Ontario, and according to bill C-6, one year of my studies is counted towards the citizenship eligibility requirement. My understanding here is that to continue as a permanent resident, I need to spend 2 years out of 5 years in Canada and to be eligible for citizenship, I would need to spend 3 years out of 5 years in Canada, however with bill C-6, I would need to spend 2 years in Canada for citizenship.

Is this understanding correct? Thanks

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
For citizenship the date of the application is key. You need 1095 days physical presence in Canada in the 5 years preceding the application date. This can be a minimum of 2 years as a PR and 1 year prior to becoming a PR credited at one half day per full day to total one year credit. So for the latter it would not be one year of studies but 2 years credited as 730/2 to equal one year (365 days)credit which would be added to the 2 years post becoming a PR to arrive at 3 years out of 5.

Last edited:
Reactions: jc94

rawnasareeb

Jul 17, 2017
For citizenship the date of the application is key. You need 1095 days physical presence in Canada in the 5 years preceding the application date. This can be a minimum of 2 years as a PR and 1 year prior to becoming a PR credited at one half day per full day to total one year credit. So for the latter it would not be one year of studies but 2 years credited as 730/2 to equal one year (365 days)credit which would be added to the 2 years post becoming a PR to arrive at 3 years out of 5.
Thanks for the reply. Not able to fully understand this again, apologies.

minimum of 2 years as a PR and 1 year prior to becoming a PR
Out of the 3 years required (1,095 days) for citizenship, 2 years would be as PR and 1 year would be before ever becoming a PR? Not able to get this part.

2 years credited as 730/2 to equal one year (365 days)credit which would be added to the 2 years post becoming a PR to arrive at 3 years out of 5
So I will get 1 year credit, however, what I am not able to understand is how it would stay as 3 years out of 5. Any PR would be required to spend 3 out of 5 years (1,095 days), so my university time spent should give me an advantage by reducing the required time by 1 year to make it 2 years, right?

sydcarton

Sep 4, 2015
Thanks for the reply. Not able to fully understand this again, apologies.

minimum of 2 years as a PR and 1 year prior to becoming a PR
Out of the 3 years required (1,095 days) for citizenship, 2 years would be as PR and 1 year would be before ever becoming a PR? Not able to get this part.

2 years credited as 730/2 to equal one year (365 days)credit which would be added to the 2 years post becoming a PR to arrive at 3 years out of 5
So I will get 1 year credit, however, what I am not able to understand is how it would stay as 3 years out of 5. Any PR would be required to spend 3 out of 5 years (1,095 days), so my university time spent should give me an advantage by reducing the required time by 1 year to make it 2 years, right?

Days spent in Canada before becoming a permanent resident (as a temporary resident or protected person) within 5 years of applying for citizenship, count as ½ days, up to a maximum of 1 year (365 days). So even if you were a student before becoming PR for 10 years, the most credit you will get is just 365 days.

Now you need 730 more days to make the 1095 requirement. Once you become a PR, you have to be present in Canada for a minimum of 730 days.

Now add 730 + 365 = 1095. Hope this helps.

rawnasareeb

Jul 17, 2017
Days spent in Canada before becoming a permanent resident (as a temporary resident or protected person) within 5 years of applying for citizenship, count as ½ days, up to a maximum of 1 year (365 days). So even if you were a student before becoming PR for 10 years, the most credit you will get is just 365 days.

Now you need 730 more days to make the 1095 requirement. Once you become a PR, you have to be present in Canada for a minimum of 730 days.

Now add 730 + 365 = 1095. Hope this helps.
That makes a lot more sense now. Thanks!

I have been away from Canada for 2 years after completing my studies there, and plan on being away for another year before I make a permanent move back to Canada next year. I am currently a PR and will have 4 years left in the PR status by next year. This means I will be away from Canada for 3 years after my studies. After working in Canada for 2 years, my past 5 years will consist of being away from Canada for 3 years and being in Canada for 2 years, which would mean I will not be getting any credits for the time I spent as an international student, and at that point I will have to spend another year in Canada for citizenship so that in the past 5 years, 3 years will be in Canada and 2 years outside of Canada.

Is this understanding correct?

sydcarton

Sep 4, 2015
That makes a lot more sense now. Thanks!

I have been away from Canada for 2 years after completing my studies there, and plan on being away for another year before I make a permanent move back to Canada next year. I am currently a PR and will have 4 years left in the PR status by next year. This means I will be away from Canada for 3 years after my studies. After working in Canada for 2 years, my past 5 years will consist of being away from Canada for 3 years and being in Canada for 2 years, which would mean I will not be getting any credits for the time I spent as an international student, and at that point I will have to spend another year in Canada for citizenship so that in the past 5 years, 3 years will be in Canada and 2 years outside of Canada.

Is this understanding correct?

Yes, you have to have a minimum of 1,095 days to apply for citizenship. Sounds like in your case, only your time spent as PR will be counted as part of the eligibility period. You can even use the physical presence calculator online to do the math for you. It's accurate and you can even use to estimate when you will be eligible. Good luck.

Reactions: dpenabill

rawnasareeb

Jul 17, 2017
Yes, you have to have a minimum of 1,095 days to apply for citizenship. Sounds like in your case, only your time spent as PR will be counted as part of the eligibility period. You can even use the physical presence calculator online to do the math for you. It's accurate and you can even use to estimate when you will be eligible. Good luck.
That will come handy. Thanks for the help!

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
Just remember PR status does not expire, I assume you mean 4 years left on your PR card. You retain PR status until you give it up to become a citizen, give it up for another reason, or get it pulled for another reason including but not limited to not being in Canada 730 days every 5 years (and it still had to be officially removed from you, it’s not like at one day over it automatically gets cancelled etc...).

Mohamed123

Star Member
Feb 27, 2018
Guys i have a question to ask! i am a PR married to a canadian citizen and have a son aswell who is canadian, i am currently working in dubai and my canadian wife and child are accompanying me here. I plan to move to canada next year , so in this case i would have completed 3 years out of canada. So if i move to canada and do 3 years straight without leaving can i apply for citizenship? In this case i would live 2 years and renew my PR there as it is valid for 5 years and since i lived 3 years abroad i would have to renew it ,and do an extra remaining year to total the years lived there to 3 so i can apply for citizenship.
What i want to know is if i renew my PR while living in canada for 3 years am i still eligible for citizenship ? or is i have to renew my PR first and then stay for 3 years? thnx guys! Any feedback will be welcome

asinght

Star Member
Jul 30, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
13-05-2014
AOR Received.
23-08-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
File Transfer...
01-10-2014
Med's Request
06-10-2014
Med's Done....
10-10-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
20-02-2015
LANDED..........
September 2015
Guys i have a question to ask! i am a PR married to a canadian citizen and have a son aswell who is canadian, i am currently working in dubai and my canadian wife and child are accompanying me here. I plan to move to canada next year , so in this case i would have completed 3 years out of canada. So if i move to canada and do 3 years straight without leaving can i apply for citizenship? In this case i would live 2 years and renew my PR there as it is valid for 5 years and since i lived 3 years abroad i would have to renew it ,and do an extra remaining year to total the years lived there to 3 so i can apply for citizenship.
What i want to know is if i renew my PR while living in canada for 3 years am i still eligible for citizenship ? or is i have to renew my PR first and then stay for 3 years? thnx guys! Any feedback will be welcome
In your case, once you move to Canada - you would stay for 3 years out of the next 5 and be eligible for citizenship. Also, you may be able to claim the days outside Canada towards PR status (but not for citizenship) as your citizen spouse is accompanying you.

For citizenship you need either 1095 days in Canada as a permanent resident i.e. 3 years in Canada.
OR
730 days in Canada as a permanent resident + 730 days in Canada before being permanent resident i.e. total 4 years in Canada

Your time "as a Permanent Resident" is more important than having an unexpired PR Card in hand. Note that "expired PR card" is NOT equal to "expired PR status".

Mohamed123

Star Member
Feb 27, 2018
In your case, once you move to Canada - you would stay for 3 years out of the next 5 and be eligible for citizenship. Also, you may be able to claim the days outside Canada towards PR status (but not for citizenship) as your citizen spouse is accompanying you.

For citizenship you need either 1095 days in Canada as a permanent resident i.e. 3 years in Canada.
OR
730 days in Canada as a permanent resident + 730 days in Canada before being permanent resident i.e. total 4 years in Canada

Your time "as a Permanent Resident" is more important than having an unexpired PR Card in hand. Note that "expired PR card" is NOT equal to "expired PR status".

Thnx for the reply i appreciate it, so once i move to canada all i need to do is do my 3 years straight and then apply for citizenship right? so im planning to move in 2021 december so i will apply for my citizenship in 2024 december? Of course in between i will have to renew my PR as it will expire in december 2023. Once i arrive Canada next year is when i am planning to start filing my taxes , so i will do that for a continuous 3 years until i apply for my citizenship.
Another question i want to ask you if by any chance i am not planning on working for the 3 years stay in canada as i am planning on just using my savings is that alright? i will be filing my taxes as zero as i will not be making any money in Canada, will that effect me applying for citizenship?

masood8

Oct 3, 2013
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-01-2011
Doc's Request.
20-03-2011
IELTS Request
Along File
Med's Request
05-11-2013
Med's Done....
10-12-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
PPR1 05-10-2014 & PPR2 17-11-2014 (Submitted: 18-02-2015)
VISA ISSUED...
13-02-2015
LANDED..........
29-June-2015
Thnx for the reply i appreciate it, so once i move to canada all i need to do is do my 3 years straight and then apply for citizenship right? so im planning to move in 2021 december so i will apply for my citizenship in 2024 december? Of course in between i will have to renew my PR as it will expire in december 2023. Once i arrive Canada next year is when i am planning to start filing my taxes , so i will do that for a continuous 3 years until i apply for my citizenship.
Another question i want to ask you if by any chance i am not planning on working for the 3 years stay in canada as i am planning on just using my savings is that alright? i will be filing my taxes as zero as i will not be making any money in Canada, will that effect me applying for citizenship?
You need to be physically present in Canada for 1095 days doesn't matter straight or not , 3 years tax filling is required rather you making money or not, not sure why you planing not to work for 3 years (that's strange).

Mohamed123

Star Member
Feb 27, 2018
You need to be physically present in Canada for 1095 days doesn't matter straight or not , 3 years tax filling is required rather you making money or not, not sure why you planing not to work for 3 years (that's strange).

Main reason why i am not planning on working for my 3 years in Canada is because my wife needs to finish her studies there once we move there and at the same she is now pregnant with our second child. So someone has to stay home and look after the kids once we move so i decided that i will do that , so i dont really have much of a choice. I think with my savings here i might just manage that but lets see how it goes!

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018

OR

Something interesting that i read here is that they are being a lot more strict these days about claiming time outside Canada towards PR status when living with a Canadian citizen abroad.

Apparently if his wife goes to live with him, it will be citizen accompanying a PR and the law allows for PR accompanying a citizen.

Mohamed123

Star Member
Feb 27, 2018
Something interesting that i read here is that they are being a lot more strict these days about claiming time outside Canada towards PR status when living with a Canadian citizen abroad.

Apparently if his wife goes to live with him, it will be citizen accompanying a PR and the law allows for PR accompanying a citizen.

Yeah i heard about this aswell, but again in the cic website it doesn't mention whos accompanying whom https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1466&top=10