+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thread for Outland LONDON, UK Applications!

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
ttrites said:
Hello Everyone,

I am just curious if anyone here has sent in an outland application - saying that the applicant lives outside of Canada - while they are actually living inside of Canada?

Are there any risks associated with this?

Our understanding is that it will be quicker this way, but if it could casue problems down the line, then i don't want to risk it.

(F-Canadian Citizen; M-Swedish Citizen living in Canada)
Hej hej! (velkommen! :))

There are plenty of us here, don't worry. The only "risk" is that if you are called for an interview, you will have to go to London. But for EU citizen it's quite rare. I don't think it makes it any faster (compared to Inland it's faster, but it doesn't change anything for outland if you are in or out of Canada), but it allows you to be with your partner, which is always a plus!
Quite a few people also start the process when they are outside of Canada, and then move to Canada ( on a tourist visa) before the application is finished and wait out the PR in Canada (that's my case, and quite a few others here). Once the COPR arrives, you'll need to exit (to the US probably) and re-enter to complete landing formalities.
Downside is: if you're on a tourist visa, you can't work ( and in most provinces don't have healthcare). If you live Canada, there is always a risk that you won't be allowed in again, but it doesn't affect your application (contrary to inland processing).
So all in all - it's an option and has not impact on your application.
Good luck,
Sweden

Laurenhannah

Star Member
Jan 17, 2012
Toronto
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-05-2012
File Transfer...
08-08-2012
Med's Done....
15-04-2012
VISA ISSUED...
21-01-2013
LOUISEN said:
Hi, I'm new to this forum and have only posted once before but I thought I'd just update you all with what I found out from an email i sent to London enquring about our application. My sponsor was approved on 26th July and my e-cas has not changed throughout. Yesterday I emailed London and got this reply back today;

Hello,

Your file was received in London on 2012/08/08 and is in a queue to be reviewed by an officer. For average processing times, please see the following web site...

We will be in touch once your file has been reviewed, if further information is required.
Hi Louisen,

jeeze, thats frustrating isn't it!? Very discouraging for myself too as we received sponsorship approval august 8.

I really hope once they look at your file it's completed in good time for you

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
LOUISEN said:
Hi, I'm new to this forum and have only posted once before but I thought I'd just update you all with what I found out from an email i sent to London enquring about our application. My sponsor was approved on 26th July and my e-cas has not changed throughout. Yesterday I emailed London and got this reply back today;

Hello,

Your file was received in London on 2012/08/08 and is in a queue to be reviewed by an officer. For average processing times, please see the following web site...

We will be in touch once your file has been reviewed, if further information is required.

So they havent even started to look at my file yet not the news I wanted to hear! :(
Hey Louisen,

Sorry to hear that. It's hard to wait, and this kind of answer doesn't help for sure. It seems like they are looking at applications that were received in London in July, so that's probably why yours is not opened yet. However, it's good to know that your file is actually there, and not lost somewhere (as there has been a few cases on this thread before).
Hopefully you'll hear from them in one or 2 weeks, when they open your file - and if you have a pretty straightforward case you might be lucky and get "decision made" right away ( my file apparently was opened on the 5th of November, and Decision Made was on the 8th...).
Good luck,
Sweden

ttrites

Jun 14, 2012
Sweden said:
There are plenty of us here, don't worry. The only "risk" is that if you are called for an interview, you will have to go to London. But for EU citizen it's quite rare. I don't think it makes it any faster (compared to Inland it's faster, but it doesn't change anything for outland if you are in or out of Canada), but it allows you to be with your partner, which is always a plus!

So if we do go for an interview and they find out my husband has been living in Canada for the past two years, but we applied as though his is living outside, they won't mind?

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
ttrites said:
Sweden said:

So if we do go for an interview and they find out my husband has been living in Canada for the past two years, but we applied as though his is living outside, they won't mind?
No - as long as he is legally in Canada ( on tourist visa, IEC, work, etc), it's not a problem. Outland or Inland is determined by where you send the forms (Vegreville for inland, Mississauga for outland) and which forms you use, but being in Canada and using the outland route is not a problem.
If your case is straightforward (living together, married, no previous marriage or previous sponsorship) and you have sent all the proofs asked for, it's very unlikely that you will be asked for an interview.
Good luck,
Sweden

Eabie

Star Member
Jun 14, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-11-2012
File Transfer...
23-11-2012
Med's Done....
21-08-2012
VISA ISSUED...
28-06-2013
LANDED..........
09-07-2013
Sweden said:
Hey Eabie,

80% of applications are completed within 9 months. It's not an average, but a cumulative percentage ( if that makes sense).... so maybe 20% are done in 2 months, 30 % in 3 months etc - until they reach 80% of applications in 9 months. That's the time from when it reaches London ( so after stage 1 is completed).

To answer your second question: yes, you can "move" to Canada before getting the PR. There are a few problems with that: if you are asked for an interview, you will have to fly back to London for it. There are very few interviews for applicants from EU in general, but you never know. If you have a straightforward application, then the risk of interview is quite low. AS you don't have your PR, you will have to go as a tourist : which means not working, no healthcare for some provinces ( ALberta, BC have a different system, so depending on where you're headed). Once the PR is issued, you need to exit Canada and re-enter to "land as a PR" (you can flagpole at the US border, or book at appointment at a CIC office and land there) to activate your PR.
At the border there is always a chance that you will not be let in, but for most people that have done it (on this thread) it went quite well ( me included). At the border, you can explain that you have applied for a PR and have proofs of it (sponsorship letter, or receipt of payment for the fees etc), and ask to be let in for 6 months, saying that you would like to "wait out" your PR in Canada with your spouse. If you don't have a return ticket, you can bring proofs of funds (bank account) in case they are worried ( I was not asked for anything).
You can not "import" anything tax-free ( which you can do with a PR), so it also depends on how much stuff you have. IF you have not too many things, and you intend to ship it, you can declare it under your spouse name as a "returning canadian". If you have lots of stuff, then you might want to consider delaying the shipping until after you have the PR, to be able to do customs clearance with your PR and get it into the country tax free.

The "advantages" of moving back before is - well that you are already there, and for my part i found it less stressful to have been able to organise everything according to my own schedule rather than having to rush once the PR is issued.

About returning to Canada - it's mostly at Stage 1, when the sponsor is approved, it means that CIC believes that you will actually move to Canada, and that your sponsor is eligible. On the second stage, it's mostly about the background of the applicant, and the nature of your relationship (genuine or not).
If they have doubts for your intention to return to Canada, they will ask for more proofs, so until they ask for it - don't worry about it! :)

Good luck,
Sweden
Thank you for all your help and avice, Sweden. I'm not sure how straightforward my case is - probably not as complicated as some, but we didn't include an Option C because I didn't pay any tax in 2011, as that's when I moved to England. I'm here on a spousal visa that expires next August, and I don't want to cough up the £1000 for Indefinite Leave to Remain because (obviously) we've changed our minds about settling in the UK and wish to return to Canada. I included a letter from my employer and lots of payslips and bank statements that show my savings, as well as some tax info (my P60) from here in the UK for 2011-2012. For evidence of my intention to go back, I asked my UK employer to say in the letter that they're aware of my intention to go back; my parents have written a letter showing the same awareness; I included a bank statement from a Canadian bank account that I opened during our recent holiday in Canada; and I included some email exchanges between me and several Canadian universities when I was considering applying to Education programs (which I've since decided against, and I was honest with CIC that I've decided against it because of the truly dire employment prospects for newly qualified teachers in Canada). I hope it's enough, but if they want more proof, perhaps I'll just quit my UK job, move back with my husband, and say "proof enough for you, people?" ;)

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Eabie said:
Thank you for all your help and avice, Sweden. I'm not sure how straightforward my case is - probably not as complicated as some, but we didn't include an Option C because I didn't pay any tax in 2011, as that's when I moved to England. I'm here on a spousal visa that expires next August, and I don't want to cough up the £1000 for Indefinite Leave to Remain because (obviously) we've changed our minds about settling in the UK and wish to return to Canada. I included a letter from my employer and lots of payslips and bank statements that show my savings, as well as some tax info (my P60) from here in the UK for 2011-2012. For evidence of my intention to go back, I asked my UK employer to say in the letter that they're aware of my intention to go back; my parents have written a letter showing the same awareness; I included a bank statement from a Canadian bank account that I opened during our recent holiday in Canada; and I included some email exchanges between me and several Canadian universities when I was considering applying to Education programs (which I've since decided against, and I was honest with CIC that I've decided against it because of the truly dire employment prospects for newly qualified teachers in Canada). I hope it's enough, but if they want more proof, perhaps I'll just quit my UK job, move back with my husband, and say "proof enough for you, people?" ;)
Seems like a plan! :) My partner also didn't have an option C, because of not living in Canada - and it was not a problem, so it should be fine for you too... what CIC wants to know is if you have been on welfare in Canada, and if you have a "plan" so you won't have to go on welfare when you move back. There is no minimum required to be able to sponsor a spouse, so you should be fine.

As for returning plan - it seems that you have included quite a lot of information already, if CIC is not convinced they'll ask you for more, so keep any correspondence mentioning your plan to return to Canada. But the fact that your current employer is already aware is already a very good start - as well as friends and family. Very few people get denied as sponsors, so it should go well!
Good luck,
Sweden

mirage1964

Sep 5, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-03-12
AOR Received.
27-06-12 LVO "in process" 15-11-12
File Transfer...
27-06-12
Med's Done....
01-11-11
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2012
I have been reading all the posts and want to thank everyone for their feedback. Good to know we are not alone in this agonizing process :) I live in BC and my wife in Scotland. We were married in Dec 2011 after dating for 5 years. So here is our time lines so far:

Application received by Mississauga: March 30, 2012
AOR approved: June 27th, 2012
Medicals Done: Nov 1, 2011

We have been waiting for ages for any acknowledgement since June 27th. I phoned a CIC agent on Nov 19th to confirm if our file had been transferred to the UK and they said it had. Then magically the E-cas Permanent Resident Application Status changed on November 20th to In-Process Started Processing on Nov 15th. The explanation is crazy though for what In-Process means:

Application Received by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) - We have received your application and will review it in order of receipt. We will send you an acknowledgement letter.

Documentation Verified by CIC - We are reviewing your application to make sure it is complete and that no documents are missing. We will return incomplete applications for resubmission.

An Interview May be Required - We will review the application and decide if an interview is necessary. If so, we will inform you in writing of the date, time and location of the interview.

It is a little complicated file but not too much. Second marriages for both of us. Her kids are both grown, but we had to list one as they are still in University, but will not be coming with her. I sponsored my first wife from the UK, but all obligations met and long done 11 years ago.

I am not sure if they will contact us with an acknowledgment letter? Does this mean a real life person is looking at it or is it just in a queue?

Fingers crossed now that it won't be too much longer. Who knows it might be an early Xmas present :)

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
mirage1964 said:
I have been reading all the posts and want to thank everyone for their feedback. Good to know we are not alone in this agonizing process :) I live in BC and my wife in Scotland. We were married in Dec 2011 after dating for 5 years. So here is our time lines so far:

Application received by Mississauga: March 30, 2012
AOR approved: June 27th, 2012
Medicals Done: Nov 1, 2011

We have been waiting for ages for any acknowledgement since June 27th. I phoned a CIC agent on Nov 19th to confirm if our file had been transferred to the UK and they said it had. Then magically the E-cas Permanent Resident Application Status changed on November 20th to In-Process Started Processing on Nov 15th. The explanation is crazy though for what In-Process means:

Application Received by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) - We have received your application and will review it in order of receipt. We will send you an acknowledgement letter.

Documentation Verified by CIC - We are reviewing your application to make sure it is complete and that no documents are missing. We will return incomplete applications for resubmission.

An Interview May be Required - We will review the application and decide if an interview is necessary. If so, we will inform you in writing of the date, time and location of the interview.

It is a little complicated file but not too much. Second marriages for both of us. Her kids are both grown, but we had to list one as they are still in University, but will not be coming with her. I sponsored my first wife from the UK, but all obligations met and long done 11 years ago.

I am not sure if they will contact us with an acknowledgment letter? Does this mean a real life person is looking at it or is it just in a queue?

Fingers crossed now that it won't be too much longer. Who knows it might be an early Xmas present :)
Hey mirage1964,

Welcome to the forum! :) and London VO.... I hope you hear from them soon, as it seems that you have been waiting for quite a while.
If your file shows "in process" on ecas, it means that your file has been opened and somebody is working on it - so that's rather good news! but apart from that, it would be difficult to tell you more.... some people have been "in process" for 4 weeks, some go from "in process" to "decision made" in a week, a day - so it's really a guess....

Good news is : your file is in London, and it's been opened. You might get an acknowledgement, but I doubt - very few people do ( if you look at the spreadsheet in my signature, you can see that most of the time people get an acknowledgement because they have contacted CIC, and got an email back), so I wouldn't count on it. But you know that your file is there, and somebody is looking at it - so you can consider that it's an AOR! :)

I never got any answer from CIC ( I sent additional Police Checks, and sent a request to confirm that they had received them), and suddenly my "home address" appeared as Canada, and "decision made" - so no communication from CIC, and that was it.

Hopefully you'll hear soon!
Good luck,
Sweden
PS: where in BC are you ? I'm in Victoria! :)

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Yeah!! my COPR is in Canada! :) it arrived on monday but the post delivered it to the neighbours (wonder why??), so my in-laws only got the notice yesterday and got it today. Now I need to get it at home, and land! probably on saturday, or monday, or tuesday... post is not very reliable I have noticed... But - at least it's here so that's great! :)
Sweden

londongurl

Star Member
Aug 29, 2012
Sweden said:
Yeah!! my COPR is in Canada! :) it arrived on monday but the post delivered it to the neighbours (wonder why??), so my in-laws only got the notice yesterday and got it today. Now I need to get it at home, and land! probably on saturday, or monday, or tuesday... post is not very reliable I have noticed... But - at least it's here so that's great! :)
Sweden
congrats Sweden but omg how did the postman do that ?luckily your inlaws got to know it otherwise you would be still waiting.Hoping this does not happen to anyone after waiting for so long.Happy for you.Keep us posted ......

Canooknic

Sep 20, 2010
England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
17th May 2011
Sweden said:
Sweden
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am soooo happy for you xxxx

Daisies

Star Member
Sep 14, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-06-2011
Doc's Request.
20-10-2011
File Transfer...
15-08-2011
Med's Done....
13-06-2011
Passport Req..
COPR 20-01-2012
Been ages since I was on here...I was so surprised not to see any posts by Pinklady! Did she retire from the forum?!!

Anyway..to all of you frustrated with waiting to get your Visas...trust me, it is worth all the frustration & waiting. Moving to Canada was the best thing I've ever done. I Love it here! Canada is a wonderful country. Been here 9 months now and haven't been homesick once! (This is *home* now!!)

mirage1964

Sep 5, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-03-12
AOR Received.
27-06-12 LVO "in process" 15-11-12
File Transfer...
27-06-12
Med's Done....
01-11-11
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2012
Sweden said:
Hey mirage1964,

Welcome to the forum! :) and London VO.... I hope you hear from them soon, as it seems that you have been waiting for quite a while.
If your file shows "in process" on ecas, it means that your file has been opened and somebody is working on it - so that's rather good news! but apart from that, it would be difficult to tell you more.... some people have been "in process" for 4 weeks, some go from "in process" to "decision made" in a week, a day - so it's really a guess....

Good news is : your file is in London, and it's been opened. You might get an acknowledgement, but I doubt - very few people do ( if you look at the spreadsheet in my signature, you can see that most of the time people get an acknowledgement because they have contacted CIC, and got an email back), so I wouldn't count on it. But you know that your file is there, and somebody is looking at it - so you can consider that it's an AOR! :)

I never got any answer from CIC ( I sent additional Police Checks, and sent a request to confirm that they had received them), and suddenly my "home address" appeared as Canada, and "decision made" - so no communication from CIC, and that was it.

Hopefully you'll hear soon!
Good luck,
Sweden
PS: where in BC are you ? I'm in Victoria! :)
Hi Sweden...

Also from Victoria :) Thanks for the feedback...well there is light at the end of the tunnel I guess. Really sad in this age of technology that a more efficient communication system can't be found for such a personal matter :)

M

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
mirage1964 said:
Hi Sweden...

Also from Victoria :) Thanks for the feedback...well there is light at the end of the tunnel I guess. Really sad in this age of technology that a more efficient communication system can't be found for such a personal matter :)

M
Hey M ( makes you sound like you're from a Bond's movie, and with a wife from Scotland, that's almost spooky ! :) )

yeah! Victoria...not many of us out there :) It's sad indeed that there is no better communication and that applicants are left so much in the dark about what is actually happening for their file... I hope you hear from them soon - I'll be landing this week end probably (I'm already in Victoria, and the COPR got to Canada today :) )
Good luck, hopefully you're near the end,
Sweden