17-02-2010
AOR Received.
01-06-2010
Med's Done....
23-11-2009
Passport Req..
28-02-2010
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

ok Buffalo let's make a deal until i am finished no one gets their ppr.. sorry people i am that fedup to see so many people pass before me... and the worse i call my mp representative and he never got back at me ....

kelKel

Champion Member
Apr 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2010
AOR Received.
17-11-2010
File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
03-03-2011
Yes Piker your wife is approved! Nice timeline.

Pharoh

Oct 5, 2010
41° 59' N, 87° 54' W
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/11/10
Doc's Request.
WAIVED
AOR Received.
28/01/11
Med's Request
Med's Received
Med's Done....
02/10/10
Interview........
WAIVED
SWEEEET!!! It's nice to see some activity at the Buffalo office, and specifically with October people!

That means November is right around the corner!

Vervain

Star Member
Jun 2, 2010
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 3, 2010
AOR Received.
Aug 6, 2010
File Transfer...
Sep 8, 2010 Detroit
Med's Done....
Apr 23, 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Sep 22, 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Sep 29, 2010
LANDED..........
Oct 14, 2010
Just checking in to see who all is still here. We are happily celebrating getting our OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance) last Friday with plenty of time for the baby to come. So relieved! We did have an issue with my PR card. I accidentally put inches tall instead of cm tall on the form. BE AWARE of this lol It set me back a couple months getting the card, as my son got his card in the mail on Nov 23rd (we landed Oct 14th). I faxed in the corrected information but am still waiting. What else...today I got my Ontario driver's license in the mail! :D Other than that, totally enjoying being pseudo Canadian. In three years or so I'll be going for my citizenship. Good luck to all still waiting.

fafi

Sep 17, 2010
kingston, ON
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-08-2010
hi again all! i'm back with my story of landing. just to backtrack a bit, i was in canada as a visitor before i applied for my outside PR, and i stayed in canada with my common-law the entire time my application was being processed. we didn't have any hitches except when they wanted a common-law declaration from us, which probably added on 3 or 4 weeks to our processing time, even though in the beginning we were told that we didn't need it. should have known better and done it anyways! other than that, everything was pretty smooth. we visited my family for the holidays, and decided to drive to buffalo, get my visa, and land in the same day.

with everyone's advice, i got to the HSBC centre nice and early, around 7:15. you have to wait at the bottom of an escalator for the security guard to come and get you, scan your passport, give you a number, and then they tell you to go to the 30th floor (which is a Canadian maple leaf button in the elevator, as many people have said! it made me smile haha.). there was a guard at the door collecting cell phones. i didn't bring one. they knew i was there for PR right away and i immediately was told to go to a small booth and talk to a lady inside. she was very nice! i gave her my photos (only needed 2, even though it said 3, which was a pain.. had to pay like 10 dollars extra for the third because i did them at CVS, ack), my passport, and the e-mail that they sent me saying i was ready to land, and she said they would try to have me out of there within 2 hours. it was about 7:50 by now and there were probably 10-15 other people there by this time. only one couple was there for an interview for PR, everyone else was there about study or work visas. i read a book for a bit and stared at the clock and my visa was done by 8:40! they gave me a packet of papers to give to the border and said i had until october to land.. who would wait that long?! i drove back to the hotel and napped for a bit lol, then we went off to land!

we landed at the lewiston entry port. the canadian guard seemed a bit grumpy until i told her i was there to land, then she was all smiles and "welcome to canada!"s, haha. we went in and waited while an IO went over the papers and added some more things to my passport. i then went to the other side of the office, gave them my good's to import/follow lists, and they talked me into importing my car right then and there, when i wanted to put it on the goods to follow... huge mistake!! they got everything started, and they told me i had to go back to the american side of the border to export the car, because there could be issues when i cross again. so i turned around to do that... first thing the american border guard asks my girlfriend, "have you ever had any problems entering into the states?"!! like come on, we're literally JUST going across the border. they constantly give her trouble even though the longest she's been in the states has been 4 months and she's never overstayed or anything.. when we went down to FL it was a big fiasco, even when i showed them my PR papers they said "anyone can print this stuff off the internet" and "well you might not pick up your PR, then what?" yeah, i would waste months and thousands of dollars to get my canadian PR and have rights there that gay couples can't have in the states to move back to FL and my girlfriend can just pick oranges for a living.. they always treat us horribly, whether it's because we're gay or because they're all a$$es, i don't know. they also made us leave our small dog in the car for her to go wait in the building while i was doing this, even though it was snowing :/

rant aside, i'm so glad we don't have to deal with them again anytime soon! anyways, i went to export the car and they weren't very kind either, even though i had to wait whole they were helping an older man and they were all sugary sweet to him. they asked if i had imported my car already and i said yes, and they said that it's a $5,000 dollar fine that they should charge me with right then for being so stupid! i was like, slow down buddy, the canadians told me too! which he got all mad about, asking why they didn't ask the americans first. i said i didn't know, and he said he'd reluctantly do it, and when i gave him the title he said it wasn't the original so he wouldn't do it. which is shitty, because the lewiston bridge is apparently the only place that you can export your car in NY, and that's like a 6 hour drive from us. apparently it was okay to import my car with what i had, but not export it.. anyways, we quickly got back into the car and drove back to north america's better half. with no trouble or no questions for the first time ever! just "canadian, american with canadian permanent residence" "okay, have a beautiful day!" it was amazing. i got my SIN number the next day, and am going to go get my driver's license today. sorry for my story being so long (and kind of negative, boo!), and i hope everyone else's PR's come soon, especially yours dralon.. the wait will be worth it once it comes!

Pharoh

Oct 5, 2010
41° 59' N, 87° 54' W
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/11/10
Doc's Request.
WAIVED
AOR Received.
28/01/11
Med's Request
Med's Received
Med's Done....
02/10/10
Interview........
WAIVED
fafi,

Thank you for sharing your experience!! I look forward to traveling to Buffalo (14 hour car ride!) and getting my visa stamp, then landing immediately at Niagara Falls. The Buffalo office has my app, but no AOR/InProcess just yet...

I have a couple questions.

1) What's it like at Buffalo? Where are you supposed to park at? Is it a big office? You said the one lady was friendly, did other people seem cheery? I always visualize the visa offices as being like the DMV or post office - no smiles to be seen anywhere. Is it like a bank, with lots of tellers?

2) What's all this about an export fee?? I've never heard of such a thing. I have a loan on my car, and my bank says they'll give me a letter saying I'm allowed to leave the country with it (despite it being financed), so I assumed after crossing and paying the import fee, I'd be good to go. An export fee? That sounds like a bunch of nonsense!

3) Do you know if you have to re-take a driving test up there, or will they just issue your license, if you already had one in the States?

Congratulations on landing! I'm looking forward to that magical email requesting my passport. When that happens, I'm loading up my car and immediately driving there. There's no way in hell I'd trust the postal system with my passport, and I'd rather not wait a month or so for it to come back to me, after sending it.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dralon said:
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

ok Buffalo let's make a deal until i am finished no one gets their ppr.. sorry people i am that fedup to see so many people pass before me... and the worse i call my mp representative and he never got back at me ....
Did you request the CAIPS notes to see what the delay is?

fafi

Sep 17, 2010
kingston, ON
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-08-2010
at buffalo, you can park right in the HSBC centre, they have an underground parking lot. oh, don't forget some cash to pay for your parking! i think mine was $2-3 dollars but i didn't have cash so i had to use an ATM. it's a HUGE office because it's not just for canada, they are just renting a floor in the centre. you won't get lost or anything. from parking there's an elevator to the lobby. you go right to the biiiig desk in the middle with tons of security guards there and tell them you're there to go to the canada consulate. the guys were very nice and told me just where to go, and if you have some cash, there's a timmies on that floor too. the security guard that scanned my passport was very curt but he wasn't mean or anything, and the security guard at the 30th floor to take cell phones was very nice and friendly. it's nothing like a bank and more like a huge business centre.

it's not an export fee, you have to export your car from the US so when you cross again it doesn't register as stolen, or so i was told. you can only export your car in lewiston for whatever stupid, stupid reason, which i think may also be the niagara crossing? if not it's awfully close. you need to fax your title to the US side of the bridge up to 72 hours before you cross, and you need to e-mail them as well (just google for exporting/importing cars at borders and it gives you an email, if you can't find it, message me and i'll dig it up) with the vin number and some other information, and bring the email as well. it says they'll respond within 24 hours to the email but they responded in 3 days to mine and you have to wait 72 hours after they respond, so do it a week in advance just in case. be sure to export it first, i'd hate you to have to go through what i do now!

i've heard that i don't have to retake the test, but i haven't gotten my license yet. i was going to today but it's awfully snowy out and although i've had a few years experience driving in it, i don't like to if i don't have to. thank you, and i feel you! i definitely felt better going to the office and getting my visa myself.

KenShali

Jan 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-01-2011
File Transfer...
09-02-2011 Resubmit App.: 02-03-2011
Med's Done....
15-12-2010 & 15-3-2012
Interview........
02-05-2012
Passport Req..
9-10-2012
VISA ISSUED...
not yet
LANDED..........
not yet
piker751 said:
Stupid Question, my wife got an email today requesting her passport. Does this mean she is approved? If so, I am in disbelief it happened so fast for us reading the stories on here. I sent the application on Oct 17, 2010.
Yes, she is approved in 3 months! Congrats!!!!
I get so happy knowing someone was approved so fast...i hope some of that luck rubs off on me lol.

Cindy1

Star Member
Jan 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-12-2011
Doc's Request.
21-04-2011
AOR Received.
07-03-2011
File Transfer...
07-01-2011
Med's Done....
26-09-2010
Interview........
Waived
We recently got an update from Buffalo stating:

Your Family Class application for permanent residence in Canada has been received at the Immigration Regional Program Centre (RPC) in Buffalo, New York, USA.

You must provide evidence that you have been lawfully admitted to the USA or Canada for a period of at least one year. Proof of lawful admission is in the form of a stamp in the passport or a status document issued at the Port of Entry or other place of admission. If an extension of the original status has been obtained, the evidence required would be a document or stamp issued by the ministry responsible for immigration matters, providing an extension up to one year or beyond.

All processing of your application has stopped. Please provide copies of the acceptable documents indicated below. If you are unable to provide these documents you must return your application to this office. At that time we will determine if your application will be transferred to the Canadian Visa Office responsible for your country of nationality.

Please provide us with a copy of your Permanent Residence card

Please forward this information by e-mail or fax no later than 5 days from the date of this correspondence. If you choose to submit the information via fax (716-852-2477), please make reference to this e-mail.

Immigration Registry Section

A fax and email on the same day with my US PR card was sent

Since then we haven't heard anything and I'm starting to worry (it's only been 3 business days).

Anyone encounter something like this before? Did you hear back any confirmation, or did they continue processing your application? I guess Buffalo doesn't have a number, you could call to see if everything is OK right???

BeShoo

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2010
Gatineau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2014
File Transfer...
03-03-2014
Med's Request
19-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015
fafi said:
... first thing the american border guard asks my girlfriend, "have you ever had any problems entering into the states?"!! like come on, we're literally JUST going across the border. they constantly give her trouble even though the longest she's been in the states has been 4 months and she's never overstayed or anything..
This is a fairly standard question. You have to learn not to let it freak you out. The first time I was asked this I was going though U.S. customs and immigration at the Toronto airport. They asked, "Have you ever been denied entry before?" I was thinking, "I'm being denied now?" but they did let me go. I was almost late for the plane, so I was freaking out inside.

Last year I dropped my boyfriend off at an airport in the U.S. and accidentally crossed back into Canada at a very remote crossing that would have required me to drive through Montreal to get to Canada. The Canada border guard told me I was crossing at the wrong place and turned me around, but the U.S. guard still had a lot of questions even though I was back in the U.S. after less than a minute in Canada. How much stuff did I bring with me, etc.

when we went down to FL it was a big fiasco, even when i showed them my PR papers they said "anyone can print this stuff off the internet" and "well you might not pick up your PR, then what?" yeah, i would waste months and thousands of dollars to get my canadian PR and have rights there that gay couples can't have in the states to move back to FL and my girlfriend can just pick oranges for a living.. they always treat us horribly, whether it's because we're gay or because they're all a$$es, i don't know.
I can hardly believe the "anyone can print this stuff" comment. They're not all anything. Some of them are good. Some are bad. I was very afraid to tell them I was gay, but my avoiding the reason I was going to Florida so often to visit a guy for no apparent reson started to wear thin and I finally admitted it (more or less). I gave the wishy-washy answer, "He's kind of a boyfriend." The U.S. border guard said, "Cool!" but later warned me I couldn't just move to Florida. (Why would I want to live there? They seem to hate gay people. But I suppose if that's the only way we could be together... Well, he's here now and I'm not letting go of him.)

kerianne

Jul 24, 2010
CANADA :)
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 27, 2010
Doc's Request.
November 18, 2010
AOR Received.
August 6, 2010
File Transfer...
June 1, 2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
March 21, 2011
VISA ISSUED...
March 30, 2011
LANDED..........
April 29, 2011
Dralon, I'll make a deal with you. If I get mine before you, I'm going to write a big complaint for you. And I'm still going nuts! I think it's only fair that before they start approving anymore, they should go back and finish what they started in the beginning of the year of 2010!! GRR!

pseudowolf

Star Member
Jan 5, 2011
Utah
Category........
Visa Office......
Los Angeles
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
you can only export your car in lewiston
Is this true or is it only true for New York? I will be exporting my car to Canada when I get my PR to live with my wife in Alberta. When the times comes, we will be crossing at the Coutts border crossing from Montana into Alberta. Will they accept the export of my car there or do i seriously have to drive to New York?

Additionally, do I have to go in person to Buffalo to pick up my PR card or is that a choice to not further delay a landing?

Lastly, I understand that Seattle would be my satellite office should they request an interview (I'm in Utah) but where would my fiance's interview be held as she is in Alberta? Would we interview at the same time inthe same place? Would she have to travel to the office in Ontario?

Thank you!!!

-Wolf

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'll answer one...

You don't have to go to Buffalo in person to pick up your visa. You can chose to mail your passport instead.

My husband chose to go to Buffalo in person since we live relatively close to the border, because he travels a fair amount (didn't want to be separated from his passport for weeks) and because we just wanted to get it all over with and completed the landing ASAP. :)

But it's entirely your choice...

Kess

May 19, 2010
BC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2010
AOR Received.
09-30-2010
File Transfer...
07-09-2010
Med's Done....
25-05-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
11-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
26-08-2011
LANDED..........
06-09-2011
Still waiting here :(

Application was mailed off over 170 days ago.