Pre-Assessed..
File Transfer...
NY Visa office 29/2/2012
Passport Req..
19-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
29-03-2012
Hello,
I have a question regarding landing and I hope i can get an answer. I will be landing in about 2 weeks and I have done my list to follow form. When I land I will not have much things. I will be in Canada for about 3 weeks after I land, however I will be coming back to the USA with my sponsor for about 2 more months to wrap things up here (housing, jobs, etc.)
On my goods to follow list I have a lot of things, including my car which I will be using to land (will be driving into Canada). My question is if there will be any problems driving my car to land and going back to the US for a few months and after going back to Canada with car when I'm ready to settle???
Greatly appriciate an answer!

DCGelfling

Star Member
Feb 16, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-04-2012
File Transfer...
13-07-2012
Med's Done....
13-03-2012
Passport Req..
03-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
03-12-2012
LANDED..........
30-12-2012
Bargeld said:
I think that's enough of a distinction to merit for anyone doing timelines from here on out to note the users destination (as in Federal or Quebec) as often as possible, since there's obviously a disparity in processing times depending on said destination.
Speaking of which: my husband mailed my app on the 12th and it arrived on the 13th, if i can be added to the spreadsheet. I'll be landing in Ontario.

g-man

Star Member
May 15, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> Seattle
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-10-2011
AOR Received.
24-01-2012
File Transfer...
09-01-2012 (22-02-2012 Seattle)
Med's Done....
19-07-2011
Passport Req..
12-04-2012
LANDED..........
01-07-2012 (Canada Day!!)
Sent my PPR packet off today. Made b/w copies of my passport, b/w copy of my birth certificate, and a printout of the PPR email. Mailed off via Xpress Post, with another return postage-paid Xpresspost envelope inside. Email from Seattle didn't say anything about paying for the postage for returns to Canada (they were explicit that it should be paid for USA addresses), so hopefully they use the envelope so I can track it both ways. :) I also didn't think it would be good to have them return the COPR docs in a regular postal mail envelope!

GOGOGO

Jan 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo->New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-09-2011
Doc's Request.
23-02-2012
AOR Received.
04-01-2012 (Email from Buffalo)
File Transfer...
02-02-2012 (Buffalo->New York: notified by email from Buffalo)
Med's Done....
18-01-2012
Passport Req..
11-04-2012; 23Apr: PP copy delivered at NY
VISA ISSUED...
01-05-2012 (as per COPR); 4May: Decision Made on eCAS; 8May: COPR rcvd (Canada address)
LANDED..........
10-05-2012; 12May: Status in eCAS disappeared; 13Jul: PR Card rcv'd
Welcome to the club, DCGelfling! You're the first April applicant on this spreadsheet! Maybe we need to do some recruitment. :)

DCGelfling said:
Speaking of which: my husband mailed my app on the 12th and it arrived on the 13th, if i can be added to the spreadsheet. I'll be landing in Ontario.

awor

Nov 4, 2010
Oregon to Alberta
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> LA
App. Filed.......
26 Aug 2011
AOR Received.
15 Dec 2011
File Transfer...
[b]CPC-M to Buffalo:[/b] 03 Nov 2011 [b]Buffalo to LA:[/b] 19 Jan 2012
Med's Done....
11 Apr 2011 [b]Ecas shows received [/b]5 Mar 2012
Passport Req..
7 Mar 2012 [b]Decision Made[/b]: 1 Apr 2012
VISA ISSUED...
29 Mar 2012 [b] CORP Received[/b]: 19 Apr 2012
LANDED..........
Sumas: 25 April 2012 / [b]PR Cards Received[/b]: 4 July 2012
Best of luck for a speedy process DCGelfling!

So, how long is normal for the passports/COPR to be returned? I'm getting really nervous. PPR on March 7, they received our passports on March 13, and I enclosed a postage paid UPS Global Express envelope for them to send everything back in. "Decision Made" in ecas on April 1. Medicals expired April 11.

Our PPR mail (I posted the entirety of the email a while back) gave no timeframe as to when they'd return it, it only said we had 60 days to send the passports (NO COPIES) in.

Has anyone else had to wait this long? It seems like 15 days is the norm :(

mumbles

Star Member
Sep 29, 2011
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-09-2011
AOR Received.
06-01-2012
File Transfer...
16-11-2011
Med's Done....
10-05-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-03-12
LANDED..........
05-05-12
awor said:

So, how long is normal for the passports/COPR to be returned? I'm getting really nervous. PPR on March 7, they received our passports on March 13, and I enclosed a postage paid UPS Global Express envelope for them to send everything back in. "Decision Made" in ecas on April 1. Medicals expired April 11.

Our PPR mail (I posted the entirety of the email a while back) gave no timeframe as to when they'd return it, it only said we had 60 days to send the passports (NO COPIES) in.

hmmmm it seems like your PPR email was a bit different than others....most only get 30 days to send it in.....so maybe thats why its taking longer and most people are given the choice to send copies....I wonder why yours is so different??

I would call if you can....sounds strange :(

QCSunshine

Aug 25, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Bargeld said:
If you also want to know something interesting is, the distinction of applicant's destination (as in filing Federally or for Quebec) and the effect it has on processing time, also for the same criteria (FAM Class, Jan 1 2011-Dec 31 2011, Outland):

Federal (all provinces except Quebec):
20% 5 months
30% 5 months
50% 7 months
70% 9 months
80% 12 months

Approval rate: 95%

Quebec:
20% 6 months
30% 7 months
50% 9 months
70% 13 months
80% 17 months

Approval rate: 91%

I think that's enough of a distinction to merit for anyone doing timelines from here on out to note the users destination (as in Federal or Quebec) as often as possible, since there's obviously a disparity in processing times depending on said destination.
Hmm, this is really interesting. I had always wondered that...

QCSunshine

Aug 25, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Kiri said:
Thanks!! I'm so glad to hear that!! I've been soooo stressed trying to make sure I had all things covered. I'm with Verizon, and I think I will try to talk to a supervisor about the situation. I tried once and they claimed to talk to a supervisor.. but meh. My actual bill on the website only gives me 3 months, so we'll see if I can get better. GREAT idea on the emails.. I thought they might not have believed it if it was just a list. Thank you! That boosts my emails up around double! Yayy!!!
Kiri, sounds like you are getting a lot of good evidence to support your communication! Maybe Verizon could provide of list showing the numbers you sent and received texts to/from. Even if it didn't have any text content, it would still show that messages were exchanged and how frequently. (You could include a print out of your account page that lists your phone number, and the same for your partner.)

Also, for emails...perhaps you could include a page from your inboxes. We searched my name in his account and his name in my account and printed out that inbox page that says "1-100 of thousands." So maybe that could be something that even an introvert is okay with. :)

You could also write a page of a relationship summary/history/timeline (if you haven't already) to include that explains that you spend most of your time talking on various gaming platforms, texting, etc., and just describe how your relationship developed through that and in-person visits, etc., as the case might be. Each relationship is different and develops differently, so that could let you tell your story...

Moonlightprancer

Apr 10, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo Outland application
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
O7-11-2011
AOR Received.
21-12-2011
File Transfer...
19-01-2012 to Seattle
Med's Done....
15-08-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
16-03-2012
awor said:

We sent my hubby's passport on the 23rd and no word yet. Seattle ha asked for pre paid envelope . I keep checking tracking form for fed ex and zip. Hopefully this week!! So close so close!!

bloodyguitars

Star Member
Oct 2, 2011
Moonlightprancer said:
We sent my hubby's passport on the 23rd and no word yet. Seattle ha asked for pre paid envelope . I keep checking tracking form for fed ex and zip. Hopefully this week!! So close so close!!
Interestingly people who got PPR from Seattle(including me) in late march and have sent their passports/copies in march itself, haven't received it back yet. I wonder whether it will be "batch" processed. Go Seattle!!!

GOGOGO

Jan 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo->New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-09-2011
Doc's Request.
23-02-2012
AOR Received.
04-01-2012 (Email from Buffalo)
File Transfer...
02-02-2012 (Buffalo->New York: notified by email from Buffalo)
Med's Done....
18-01-2012
Passport Req..
11-04-2012; 23Apr: PP copy delivered at NY
VISA ISSUED...
01-05-2012 (as per COPR); 4May: Decision Made on eCAS; 8May: COPR rcvd (Canada address)
LANDED..........
10-05-2012; 12May: Status in eCAS disappeared; 13Jul: PR Card rcv'd
I was also thinking about driving my car to land first and then import it later. But from what I've read so far I can't conclude if it's a definite yes or no. There were both successful and unsuccessful stories.

There are a few related threads that you may be interested in if you have not seen them yet.
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/delayed-landingimporting-car-question-t54041.0.html
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/landing-to-canada-and-returning-to-us-after-3-days-questions-t50777.0.html
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/exportingimporting-a-car-from-the-us-t81585.0.html

Rouge said:
On my goods to follow list I have a lot of things, including my car which I will be using to land (will be driving into Canada). My question is if there will be any problems driving my car to land and going back to the US for a few months and after going back to Canada with car when I'm ready to settle???

Timemachine

Star Member
Sep 14, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo--->Seattle
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-12-2011
AOR Received.
23-02-2012
File Transfer...
03-02-2012
Med's Done....
17-10-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
05-04-2012
VISA ISSUED...
27-04-2012
LANDED..........
01-05-2012
bloodyguitars said:
Interestingly people who got PPR from Seattle(including me) in late march and have sent their passports/copies in march itself, haven't received it back yet. I wonder whether it will be "batch" processed. Go Seattle!!!
I sure hope so! :)

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mumbles said:
So you think it will be easier for him if he brings the B4 form filled out at the time he lands? Do you think he could do the whole import/export car thing at that time too and then take the car back to the US? I know you only have 45 days to pass inspection but that would be enough time for that...

Its funny how all of a sudden I have so many questions...its not like i didn't know this was coming lol
Definitely easier to process the B4 when he lands. You'll minimize questions.

The car is not a straightforward question. To successfully import it when he lands, you'll need to pass inspection as you say. The more complicated parts are exporting it, registering it and insurance:

Exporting vehicle: Key question here is whether the car has any loans. If it's fully paid, then it's just a matter of getting the documents together and making sure he crosses the border when the export office is open on the US side and fulfills their requirements (they vary a bit between border posts - some require you to just email the vin upfront others that you mail the title so they have it 3 days prior to the export).

Registration: is the car title just in his name or joint between you? does he have a Canadian driver's license yet (he'll likely need it to register the car)? What province is he going to (e.g., in Ontario you can exchange a US driver's license for a Canadian one but they will not return the US one back to you)? Also, he may need a driving history from the US.

Insurance: you'll need to get Canadian issued insurance so he can register the car there. Do you have an agent already that knows you already? If not, start talking to folks now since it can take a bit longer for new immigrants and he'll likely need a letter from his US insurer.

It's not hard to do but does require a bit of planning to make sure you won't hit a hiccup with the varying moving pieces.

If you just don't want to deal with it, he'd have to be very clear as he explains that he's just going to land for immigration purposes given that his visa has a short validity and intends to go back to the US to wrap up his affairs before heading back up to Canada and that he'll export the car in his next trip when he'll actually be living in Canada. Unlike the US, in Canada you can be a resident for some things (eg immigration) but not others (eg fiscal purposes, customs, or medical).

Isometry

Aug 18, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo-->Seattle
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 28 2011
File Transfer...
Jan 9 2012-->Feb 9 2012
Med's Done....
Sept 19 2011
Passport Req..
March 21 2012
VISA ISSUED...
April 21 2012
LANDED..........
May 17th 2012
My ecas status now reads "Decision Made" ;D

I'm hoping that means they mail the COPR soon!

Jenny parsely

Star Member
Feb 2, 2012
Hi all,

My husband has applied for my PR file under family class. I am Indian citizen residing in USA. I will be going to canada on visitor visa while my file is still in process.

Can any one tell me how to send Passport from canada to Buffalo office when the PPR arrives? And how to complete landing procedure while living in canada?

Do I need to get any appointment at visa office in toronto for completing my landing procedure? How much time it takes to get the appointment?

Please advise