Not Required
Passport Req..
Nov 2011
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 2011
LANDED..........
Dec 2011
AmericaninQuebec said:
On a different note, I saw a poster on another thread claiming that you have to export your car (i.e. contact U.S. authorities at the U.S. border crossing before arriving) before you can take it with you to Canada. I looked at the resources about this, and I swear it says that an export is only a vehicle that will be put into commerce in the new country (i.e. it is being taken there to be sold). Can someone who has landed with a car confirm to me that I don't have to worry about exporting my car prior to landing?
According to http://www.riv.ca/HelpFAQs.aspx (emphasis is mine):

"U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) require notification of all self-propelled vehicles being permanently exported from the United States. You must provide CBP with your vehicle title documents, registration and sales receipts.

CBP regulations state that at land border points:
1.required documentation must be submitted at least 72 hours prior to export; and
2.the vehicle must be presented to U.S. Customs at the time of export.

CBP recommends that you contact the border crossing directly to verify all required documentation and the hours of operation."

There's a lot of info on the site that you should be very familiar with. The process isn't difficult but you must follow all of the steps for both Canada and the U.S. in the proper order.

Here's the contact info for the U.S. crossings:

http://www.riv.ca/USCustoms.aspx

There is an important note on the website at http://customs.gov/xp/cgov/trade/basic_trade/export_docs/motor_vehicle.xml :

"Exportation at land border crossing points. For those vehicles exported by rail, highway, or under their own power.

- The required documentation must be submitted to Customs at least 72 hours prior to export; and

- The vehicle must be presented to Customs at the time of exportation"

I hope this helps!

Eddy070

Apr 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mcmasters said:
Oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my goooooooooooosh!

I just got my PPR email! SQUEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! ;D :p

I almost can't believe it! I had to read it twice just to make sure it wasn't some sick twisted person sending me a prank email.

What a relief! Now I can move to Canada this month without having to worry about being "in limbo" and having to stash all my stuff somewhere until I'm ready to land.

Oh joy!

I'm going to get my photos taken tomorrow, and I will submit my passport in person on Tuesday at the Buffalo office. I will follow all the very good advice I received on here concerning what to bring/where to go/what time to be there.

So much stress as just disappeared - weeeeeeee!

Thank you everyone for being patient with me and listening to me ramble and helping me out with this process. :)

Be sure I'll be back next week to tell you how the visa issuance went, and then back again to describe my landing experience.

Good luck to everyone who is waiting for a PPR or COPR!

HUGS,
Maddy

PS:AmericaninQuebec - looks like we are timeline buddies through and through! I'd bet $5 CAD we have the same VO. ;)
Congratulations. Loving this....(So much stress as just disappeared - weeeeeeee!)

AmericaninQuebec

Oct 12, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
No not really. Sorry, but that's info I based my question on already. You missed the part on the government website http://customs.gov/xp/cgov/trade/basic_trade/export_docs/motor_vehicle.xml that states:
Export. "Export" refers to the transportation of merchandise out of the U.S. for the purpose of being entered into the commerce of a foreign country.
Commerce being generally defined as:
the exchange or buying and selling of goods, commodities, property, or services esp. on a large scale and involving transportation from place to place
If you read the rest of the page with that definition in mind when you are exporting a vehicle it means you are transporting it outside the U.S. to sell it in the foreign market. Transporting your car to Canada for personal use as a PR there doesn't seem to fit this definition of "export."

I mostly wanted confirmation from someone who has already landed with their car to let me know if my interpretation is correct that no notification is necessary on the U.S. side. Have you gone through this process as a landing PR yet? If so, what did they say when you contacted them 72 hrs in advance about the car? I'm also concerned that if you were to follow those procedures you would be confused as a commercial exporter and potentially have to pay fees to the U.S. government.

AtHomeInMontreal said:
According to http://www.riv.ca/HelpFAQs.aspx (emphasis is mine):

"U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) require notification of all self-propelled vehicles being permanently exported from the United States. You must provide CBP with your vehicle title documents, registration and sales receipts.

CBP regulations state that at land border points:
1.required documentation must be submitted at least 72 hours prior to export; and
2.the vehicle must be presented to U.S. Customs at the time of export.

CBP recommends that you contact the border crossing directly to verify all required documentation and the hours of operation."

There's a lot of info on the site that you should be very familiar with. The process isn't difficult but you must follow all of the steps for both Canada and the U.S. in the proper order.

Here's the contact info for the U.S. crossings:

http://www.riv.ca/USCustoms.aspx

There is an important note on the website at http://customs.gov/xp/cgov/trade/basic_trade/export_docs/motor_vehicle.xml :

"Exportation at land border crossing points. For those vehicles exported by rail, highway, or under their own power.

- The required documentation must be submitted to Customs at least 72 hours prior to export; and

- The vehicle must be presented to Customs at the time of exportation"

I hope this helps!

AtHomeInMontreal

Star Member
Dec 6, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 2011
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
Never
Med's Done....
Done prior to App
Interview........
Not Required
Passport Req..
Nov 2011
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 2011
LANDED..........
Dec 2011
I have already exported a car from the U.S. to Quebec - what I've said here is based on my personal experience, not a browse of the pages. Trust me - you must export your personal vehicle as part of the process. They stamp your title on the U.S. after their research is complete; if you arrive on the Canadian side without this stamp you will be out of luck.

I know it would be easier not to deal with the U.S. side; however, you must. If you are in doubt, call the folks at the border crossing you intend to use and ask. I found they were quite helpful.

Take care,

Calgary-Bound

Jun 9, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14/2/2011
AOR Received.
15/3/2011
File Transfer...
24/2/2011
Med's Done....
27/9/2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02/04/2012
LANDED..........
28/04/2012
Besides Eddy070 am I the oldest app still waiting?

AmericaninQuebec

Oct 12, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
AtHomeInMontreal said:
I have already exported a car from the U.S. to Quebec - what I've said here is based on my personal experience, not a browse of the pages. Trust me - you must export your personal vehicle as part of the process. They stamp your title on the U.S. after their research is complete; if you arrive on the Canadian side without this stamp you will be out of luck.

I know it would be easier not to deal with the U.S. side; however, you must. If you are in doubt, call the folks at the border crossing you intend to use and ask. I found they were quite helpful.

Take care,
Okay. Other than a stamp did you send them info 72 hrs in advance like it's listed on those pages? I honestly have no problem doing this, since I'll be driving to the border with my car and flagpole-ing when I land. If I have to do the 72 hrs notice, do I contact the specific border crossing directly?

Again, I have no problem doing it, I just didn't want to go through the trouble of doing that and then incur expenses because I was doing something meant for commercial exporters.

AtHomeInMontreal

Star Member
Dec 6, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 2011
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
Never
Med's Done....
Done prior to App
Interview........
Not Required
Passport Req..
Nov 2011
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 2011
LANDED..........
Dec 2011
AmericaninQuebec said:
Okay. Other than a stamp did you send them info 72 hrs in advance like it's listed on those pages? I honestly have no problem doing this, since I'll be driving to the border with my car and flagpole-ing when I land. If I have to do the 72 hrs notice, do I contact the specific border crossing directly?

Again, I have no problem doing it, I just didn't want to go through the trouble of doing that and then incur expenses because I was doing something meant for commercial exporters.
Yes, I dropped my original title (no liens) off in person, driving the car, along with a copy of my registration and then returned 3 days later (maybe 75 hours - smile) to pick things up. I then proceeded to the Canadian side and went through the rest of the import process there. The big issue with landing is timing the required 72 hour "wait period" - this might mess up your flagpole plans because you do have to give them the docs in person on the U.S. side and have the car with you.

I obtained my recall letter from a dealership just before I dropped off the documents. This can be a pain to get depending on what make of car you have, but the dealer can write a letter on their letterhead for you if you ask very nicely.

Finally, you will have to go through two inspections in Quebec once the car comes through. The first is at a place such as Canadian Tire - this is for the basics, takes maybe 10 minutes, and is not a big deal at all. The second is done at Societe de l'assurance automobile, takes hours (you leave the car with an appointment usually) and can be a nightmare. They will find everything that's wrong or about to be wrong on your car and give you a form with things to be fixed. If you pass, you get your Certificate De Verification Mechanique.

Then you go to register the vehicle / get plates, etc.

Insurance comes next, etc.

It is not a particularly fun process if there is anything that needs attention on your car. I believe you have 45 days after import to get through it.

I hope this helps!

mameelynn

Oct 22, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo... I mean CPP Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27/02/2012
Doc's Request.
06/06/2012
File Transfer...
03/07/2012
Med's Done....
16/12/2011
Passport Req..
12/12/12
VISA ISSUED...
31/01/2013
LANDED..........
04/2013
AtHomeInMontreal said:
Yes, I dropped my original title (no liens) off in person, driving the car, along with a copy of my registration and then returned 3 days later (maybe 75 hours - smile) to pick things up. I then proceeded to the Canadian side and went through the rest of the import process there. The big issue with landing is timing the required 72 hour "wait period" - this might mess up your flagpole plans because you do have to give them the docs in person on the U.S. side and have the car with you.

I obtained my recall letter from a dealership just before I dropped off the documents. This can be a pain to get depending on what make of car you have, but the dealer can write a letter on their letterhead for you if you ask very nicely.

Finally, you will have to go through two inspections in Quebec once the car comes through. The first is at a place such as Canadian Tire - this is for the basics, takes maybe 10 minutes, and is not a big deal at all. The second is done at Societe de l'assurance automobile, takes hours (you leave the car with an appointment usually) and can be a nightmare. They will find everything that's wrong or about to be wrong on your car and give you a form with things to be fixed. If you pass, you get your Certificate De Verification Mechanique.

Then you go to register the vehicle / get plates, etc.

Insurance comes next, etc.

It is not a particularly fun process if there is anything that needs attention on your car. I believe you have 45 days after import to get through it.

I hope this helps!

Does anyone have experience exporting more than one car? I have been living with my husband in the US for almost 6 years now and we are working on his PR and are looking at taking both of our cars when we go up but I was wondering if this is going to be another huge pain for us? I'm also wondering about the whole what do we have to claim on his landing papers when it will be him, myself and our three children all moving up to Canada. Do we claim it all as his or just his personal things like clothes? thanks!

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
On November 11th, ndbella (who applied to CPC-M in September of last year) posted on this thread to say that she's STILL waiting. I have no idea what the circumstances are as she didn't elaborate why it is taking more than a year when I asked.
Calgary-Bound said:
Besides Eddy070 am I the oldest app still waiting?

egosheep

Nov 28, 2010
Hey guys, just received my passport back in the mail, along with my PR paperwork. They said they aren't stamping passports for visa exempt countries as of December 1st, 2011. The turnaround from when I sent it was only 8 days. I'm super relieved and excited, and I will be travelling next Friday to Toronto, for good!!!

Do I need to jump through any hoops with my car? Can I just drive it into Ontario and register it later?

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, that was the memo, but people are still being notified of Buffalo being ready to accept passport submissions. Whether or not they'll still see a counterfoil in their passports when they get them back, I have no idea.

egosheep said:
Hey guys, just received my passport back in the mail, along with my PR paperwork. They said they aren't stamping passports for visa exempt countries as of December 1st, 2011.

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The no more passport submissions for visa-exempt countries thing has made it to one of the "news" pages of the law firm that maintains this forum - Cambell Cohen - http://www.canadavisa.com/news/entry/some-no-longer-must-submit-passports-once-granted-permanent-residence.html. I guess they probably don't know we're not seeing this in practice at Buffalo.

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Okay, understandable about the waiting to apply thing. But the feeling that they would think it's odd that you just got married and you're immediately applying, though - there's no need to feel that way. Most people actually want to apply as soon as they get married because it gets quite expensive making visits back and forth and the sooner you can start the process, the sooner it will end. Also, the vast majority of people (who are not named Kardashian) discuss with their future spouses their plans to settle where, so you can see how Immigration might even look a bit with skepticism about you two spending several months "in limbo," as it where.

Reading your response, I am a little confused. You said before that reviewing your GCMS notes it appeared that the IO did not think you "spent enough time together." Now, you're saying that his or her doubt is based on your difference in background - you being from Latin America, her being French Canadian. Which is it?

The differences in background are not a deal-breaker for CIC, especially Buffalo. If you can explain to them what you do share in common (so, obviously, you speak English; does your wife also speak English at your level? do you speak French at her level? do you share a religion in common and are you equally religious?), you can easily overcome this "drawback" about the likely genuineness of the relationship, in their eyes. Given your personal circumstance, level of education and earnings, you're not going to have as much of an uphill battle as a lot of other spouses being sponsored and looked at closely by VOs (especially red-flagged ones) that are trying to spot marriages of convenience.

You didn't answer my question, but I'm just curious what did you include as part of the evidence in your application?

NYQUE said:
Thnxs ddbro2, I'm from El Salvador, and yes I figured they picked on me because I'm not a US citizen, to answer your question about why didn't we started the sponsorship application, well me and my wife got married the Fall of 2009, I was still school and I knew I it will take me more time to finish, first we didn't want it to be seen as like ok we got married let's do the paperwork now, # 2 were the fees money was tight at the time, and as I guess a lot of people in this site, it took some time to digest how to prepare everything and get all the documentation together, I thought actually would take 6 months so we submitted the sponsorship application in April hoping was going to be finish around October, everything was going fine even since we are going to live, we are now in Quebec, according to the GCMS notes everything was received (QSC, RPRF) around June-July, the file was first review (the only time when it was determined an interview was needed) on 8/12 and that's when I received the letter.

Even though I am from a country that requires a TRV (I have family in Quebec BTW) I have had held a TRV for the past 5 years, (I'm on my 5th TRV which will expire on 2013) so all that time if I would've wanted I would've stay and simply do inland, but we never considered it with my wife because as everyone knows it takes more time, so I followed the course of my studies, another thing they judged is the fact that my wife is French Canadian and I'm from Latin America so they expressed we have different ethnic backgrounds which I found that assertion to be a little judgemental since Canada is a multicultural country with several multicultural ethnic groups.

As I told my wife, we will continue waiting but financially it takes a toll as when I was in the States I was making good money $70K+ and my savings are little by little fading away, I have been in Canada since August and while we are happy to be together here, I feel frustrated I can't make any long term plans (kids) because of the uncertainty of what's going to happen, the job Offer I had was with the company I was working before and yes it was before sending my application, I basically told them that my wife is here and that eventually I was going to leave, they offered me to work for them here (they have offices in Canada too) and the agreement was (since I thought by October the application was going to be finalized) to work for this company as soon as I received my PR, but here we are, and to tell you the truth I'm tired of this game...

I am positive everything will be ok, I'm not even worried about the interview itself I just wish we had a tangible time frame, I will keep you posted as how it goes.

Thanks for the words of support.

B.

mcmasters

Star Member
Oct 17, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-03-2011
File Transfer...
31-03-2011
Med's Request
11-07-2011
Med's Done....
August 2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08-12-11
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 11 2011
LANDED..........
Dec 27 2011
ddobro2 said:
Also, the vast majority of people (who are not named Kardashian) discuss with their future spouses their plans to settle where, so you can see how Immigration might even look a bit with skepticism about you two spending several months "in limbo," as it where.
That's just funny. ;)

AmericaninQuebec: Because I live in Buffalo, I'm going to take my passport in person to the visa office. I should do it Thursday so I don't miss work, but, I'm going Tuesday. ;)

Next weekend we're celebrating my hubs' birthday in Toronto, then he's coming back with me to Buffalo. That week we'll pack up the rest of my stuff, and drive it to the border for my official "landing," probably Dec. 20th or 21st.

I guess I have to figure out this car exporting thing, too. I have a car and a Vespa scooter. I wonder what the deal will be on importing two vehicles? I'm planning on putting the scooter in the moving truck. I hope I don't have to pay import taxes on it, but I wouldn't be surprised if I do.

krista2011

Oct 20, 2011
Now that I have an application in process, it would be great to be added to the spreadsheet.

Application Sent: September 23, 2011
Application Received: September 26, 2011
File Opened: December 08, 2011
Sponsor Approved: December 09, 2011
File Transferred: December 09, 2011

These dates are according to the CIC telephone "expert" I talked to this morning.

Thanks!