Thread for outland Buffalo applicants!

Eddy070

Apr 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Guys just want to know if anyone ever sent a document through email in attached file that was confirmed by the OV?

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yep, you're on. I'm going to catch up on updating it, for everyone else out there.
StateOfConfusion said:
Ooooh...spreadsheet. Might I be added? :) Just one more place to track it :)

Calgary-Bound

Jun 9, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14/2/2011
AOR Received.
15/3/2011
File Transfer...
24/2/2011
Med's Done....
27/9/2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02/04/2012
LANDED..........
28/04/2012
I finally got some good news today from my MP.They extended my medicals for another year,I have a come forward date as of December 12th,and I got the background papers from the courts today and sent it to the MP so she could forward it to Buffalo directly.The background papers was the last thing they needed.

egosheep

Nov 28, 2010
PPR!!!

Got it this afternoon, in an email. Excited!!! What is the usual turn around time for returning the passport? What mail service should I use to send it?

Do I use the same photo specs as the medicals? I got those done at Sears, that's who the consulate recommended.

mjh49783aa

Sep 22, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-05-2011
Nomination.....
Sponsor approved: 13-06-2011
AOR Received.
03-11-2011
File Transfer...
28-06-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
COPR received 13-01-2012
LANDED..........
15-01-2012
I am curious....

After that date, how will this affect the ability of recently landed immigrants to get their SIN number, as according to this website, I would need both the COPR, and the counterfoil as proof to apply for a SIN number
http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sin/apply/proof.shtml

....or would I need to wait for my PR card to arrive in the mail first?

AmericaninQuebec said:
Oh my gosh, have you guys seen this yet? http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2011/ob348.asp

I just spotted another thread about it. If I read it correctly, that means those of us from visa exempt nations (they specifically list the U.S.) will no longer have to send their passport for a visa before landing! As of Dec. 1, 2011 they will only receive their COPR and can then proceed directly to the border to land!

I know I've been moaning and groaning about not having gotten my PPR yet, but I honestly would not mind waiting a couple of more weeks if that means I don't have to go through the hastle of sending my passport to get a visa put in it. I would so much rather take my COPR and CSQ, drive to the border and land right away! Of course, now with my luck I'll get PPR a couple of days before this goes into effect. ;)

AW2011

Oct 26, 2011
egosheep said:
PPR!!!

Got it this afternoon, in an email. Excited!!! What is the usual turn around time for returning the passport? What mail service should I use to send it?

Do I use the same photo specs as the medicals? I got those done at Sears, that's who the consulate recommended.
Congrats!!! ;) :p :-*
Follow the links in the email sent to you.
Could you please share your timeline?

egosheep

Nov 28, 2010
Our rough timeline:

Mailed package June 1st.
Sponsor approved July 8th.
Received letter dated September 29 asking for RPRF.
Sent RPRF around October 15.
PPR email received today, November 17.

egosheep

Nov 28, 2010
Since I'm planning to move within 30 days, should I just take my passport through Buffalo in person and have it stamped before I cross? Or should I mail it?

AmericaninQuebec

Oct 12, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
mjh49783aa said:
I am curious....

After that date, how will this affect the ability of recently landed immigrants to get their SIN number, as according to this website, I would need both the COPR, and the counterfoil as proof to apply for a SIN number
http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sin/apply/proof.shtml

....or would I need to wait for my PR card to arrive in the mail first?
No clue. I'm assuming those rules will change too if they're doing away with the counterfoil. Obviously if they're no longer issuing a counterfoil then they can't demand to see one from people coming from exempt countries. It only makes sense that it would no longer be a requirement to receive the SIN, but who am I to assume the government will do what makes sense?

Someone on the thread about the counterfoil is claiming they think they'll still request the passport just to staple the COPR to it. What do you guys think? It really seems silly that they are doing away with the counterfoil if they're still going to request the passport be sent. No?

mcmasters

Star Member
Oct 17, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-03-2011
File Transfer...
31-03-2011
Med's Request
11-07-2011
Med's Done....
August 2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08-12-11
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 11 2011
LANDED..........
Dec 27 2011
Well I came to the forum today hoping to see that PPRs came through for a few old-timers. Instead I see one old-timer and a couple of spring/summer folks getting their ticket to freedom.

Congrats to the people who got their PPRs, of course, but I'm not going to hide the fact that I am EXTREMELY jealous of the noobs who got theirs, and that I'm ANNOYED with how unequal this process is. Why do some people take 6 months and others take 8, 9, 10, 11? What the bleep.

Anyway! Self-pity party on hold until further notice.

This whole change with eliminating the need to get a counterfoil is screwy. It's great if it will cut down the CIC's workload, but where does that leave the people who are on the cusp of getting a PPR or visa? Obviously a couple more people have received regular PPRs, but we're now less than two weeks from this policy change... awkward transitions for all...

AmericaninQuebec, let's just hope this means we'll get a letter saying we're ready for visas and DON'T have to deal with mailing our passports, on, say, Dec 1st exactly?

Taking baby steps toward my move next month. Ugh. My stress level would be reduced by 75% if I would just get my stupid visa before Dec. 31st! And if I don't, that means I've been waiting for 9+ months. Blurrrrrrrgh.

buffalo-toronto

Feb 8, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
BUF
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-02-2011
AOR Received.
August 2011
File Transfer...
01-03-2011
Med's Done....
29-01-2011
Interview........
Waived
PPR!!!!! PPR !!! PPR!!!!!

Finalllyyy Finalllyyyy Finalllyyy!!!

Perfect timing also as I jsut got a job offer and can start in a week's time there. I got the email this morning, like 5 mins back. Some cheer for Feb. applicants finally.

destanova

Jan 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10Feb2011
File Transfer...
24Mar2011
Med's Done....
24Jan2011
Passport Req..
04Oct2011
AmericaninQuebec said:
No clue. I'm assuming those rules will change too if they're doing away with the counterfoil. Obviously if they're no longer issuing a counterfoil then they can't demand to see one from people coming from exempt countries. It only makes sense that it would no longer be a requirement to receive the SIN, but who am I to assume the government will do what makes sense?

Someone on the thread about the counterfoil is claiming they think they'll still request the passport just to staple the COPR to it. What do you guys think? It really seems silly that they are doing away with the counterfoil if they're still going to request the passport be sent. No?
I didn't need to show my counterfoil to get my SIN. Just my COPR was sufficient. I was able to sign up for provincial health care as well with just the COPR.

Also, the COPR wasn't stapled to my passport when I sent it to Buffalo. The CIC officer did that when I landed. Having it stapled into my passport is what made me officially a PR. I imagine that doing away with the counterfoils will mean that the COPR paperwork will be sent to the applicant, and then a landing can happen?

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Congrats and thanks for the timeline - I'll add it to the spreadsheet once I can. As for your other question, it's really your decision as to the logistics of it, but if you choose to mail the passport, you will almost certainly get it back within two weeks (although, that reminds me......doctorkb, not sure what is up with your passport, as we haven't heard from you about it arriving). If you choose to take it directly to Buffalo you'll need to make room on a Tuesday or Thursday morning (and planning to go well into the afternoon) for that. So the choice is yours.
egosheep said:
Our rough timeline:

Mailed package June 1st.
Sponsor approved July 8th.
Received letter dated September 29 asking for RPRF.
Sent RPRF around October 15.
PPR email received today, November 17.

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Fabulous! Congratulations!
buffalo-toronto said:
PPR!!!!! PPR !!! PPR!!!!!

Finalllyyy Finalllyyyy Finalllyyy!!!

Perfect timing also as I jsut got a job offer and can start in a week's time there. I got the email this morning, like 5 mins back. Some cheer for Feb. applicants finally.