+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thread for outland Buffalo applicants!

egosheep

Nov 28, 2010
I faxed my proof of RPRF payment to Buffalo... and mailing it out to Buffalo and Mississauga today. I hope this doesn't really throw a wrench in things, after getting the initial approval so fast. I would have paid the RFPF with the initial application but just didn't have the means at the time.

Can I just visit indefinitely in late December, and mail my PPR stuff from within Canada, then re-enter when I get the visa?

JAYJAY2

Star Member
Jul 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Bufalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-18-2011
File Transfer...
28-10-2011
Med's Done....
27-07-2011
2 questions

1. we got the FBI results after we submitted the application so should we wait tell Buffalo requests it?

2. My wife got her american citezenship and passport after we submitted the application what should we do?

Thanks

CandC2009

Star Member
Mar 28, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11/2010
AOR Received.
31/03/2011
File Transfer...
26/01/2011 (Buffalo received)
Med's Done....
10/2010
egosheep said:
I faxed my proof of RPRF payment to Buffalo... and mailing it out to Buffalo and Mississauga today. I hope this doesn't really throw a wrench in things, after getting the initial approval so fast. I would have paid the RFPF with the initial application but just didn't have the means at the time.

Can I just visit indefinitely in late December, and mail my PPR stuff from within Canada, then re-enter when I get the visa?
Indefinatly? not really, When you enter you will have 6 months (ask for a stamp or visitor record. also make sure to have proof that you have applied for perminant residence) they may even grant you up to a year, then you will have to apply for an extension before that 6 months or a year expires.

TryingToGetHome

Feb 2, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-03-2011
AOR Received.
21-04-2011
File Transfer...
05-05-2011
Med's Done....
19-07-2011
Interview........
Waived
egosheep said:
You can visit for as long as your visitor's visa is valid. Usually 6 months, but then you'd have to extend it if you don't have PPR yet. But, yes, you can visit and wait for PPR in Canada. Lots of us are doing that.

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1) no, send it immediately by mail to Buffalo. remember to make a copy of it and to quote all relevant information to match it up to your file (name, date of birth, client id, file number, if you can).

2) you are technically supposed to inform CIC of any changes in your personal circumstances....while this typically means something like marriage, divorce, births, cancellation of sponsorship, I think her change in status in the US is also pertinent. Email CPCM-EXTCOM @ cic.gc.ca with "Change in personal circumstances" in the subject line. Again, give them the information to link it up to your file. You can also fax them and/or mail it in (I would use the address they assign for RPRF payments and other inquiries). Order GCMS notes at some point to check whether this information has been noted by the IO/relayed to Buffalo.

JAYJAY2 said:
2 questions

1. we got the FBI results after we submitted the application so should we wait tell Buffalo requests it?

2. My wife got her american citezenship and passport after we submitted the application what should we do?

Thanks

AmericaninQuebec

Oct 12, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
TryingToGetHome said:
You can visit for as long as your visitor's visa is valid. Usually 6 months, but then you'd have to extend it if you don't have PPR yet. But, yes, you can visit and wait for PPR in Canada. Lots of us are doing that.
Indeed, I've had my visitor record (it's not a visa for American citizens, just an official record that they allowed you entry for a specific period) renewed multiple times since I first moved to be with my husband (then fiancé) in May 2010. For a while they would only renew it for 2 or 3 month periods, but now that they can see in their system that my permanent residency demand is being treated in Buffalo they went ahead and renewed it for the full 6 months the last time I renewed it. Never heard of them giving more than that, since technically I think the legal limit without an actual visa is 6 mths.

You should bring photocopies of your application papers and marriage certificate with you, as well as copies of bank statements showing you and your spouse have sufficient funds for your stay. Though they only asked to see those documents before my residency app was in process. Now that they can log into their system and see it they don't bother validating with any other documents.

Morena

Star Member
Jul 2, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-02- 2011
Doc's Request.
29-03-2011
AOR Received.
13-07-2011
File Transfer...
23-03-2011
Med's Done....
21-09-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
20-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
9-11-2011
LANDED..........
Soon!!!
One question guys! Does Costco or Walmart are good for the Visa photos i have to mail to Buffalo? I'm trying to find a place here in the States....some of them want to give me a passport photo but is not the same...

CandC2009

Star Member
Mar 28, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11/2010
AOR Received.
31/03/2011
File Transfer...
26/01/2011 (Buffalo received)
Med's Done....
10/2010
AmericaninQuebec said:
Indeed, I've had my visitor record (it's not a visa for American citizens, just an official record that they allowed you entry for a specific period) renewed multiple times since I first moved to be with my husband (then fiancé) in May 2010. For a while they would only renew it for 2 or 3 month periods, but now that they can see in their system that my permanent residency demand is being treated in Buffalo they went ahead and renewed it for the full 6 months the last time I renewed it. Never heard of them giving more than that, since technically I think the legal limit without an actual visa is 6 mths.

You should bring photocopies of your application papers and marriage certificate with you, as well as copies of bank statements showing you and your spouse have sufficient funds for your stay. Though they only asked to see those documents before my residency app was in process. Now that they can log into their system and see it they don't bother validating with any other documents.
My hubby got his for a year the first time and just got it renewed (actually the new vistor record came a day after PPR lol) until July 2013 :)

yooper

Star Member
May 16, 2011
Detroit, MI USA -> Sechelt, BC CANADA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-06-2011
AOR Received.
11-08-2011
Med's Done....
w/ app
Passport Req..
06-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-12-2011
Thanks...

Just quick note of thanks for you for keeping that spreadsheet. Its a comfort to know a little about the process. (Hint to CIC Canada).

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think it depends on the location. These are notoriously hard to get in the States because people are just not familiar with those dimensions, they are only familiar with the US passport dimensions and this is different....and when you give them the specs sheet, they may be reluctant to do a special size like that. I just had my husband take my photo and resized it using one of the websites that do this.
Morena said:
One question guys! Does Costco or Walmart are good for the Visa photos i have to mail to Buffalo? I'm trying to find a place here in the States....some of them want to give me a passport photo but is not the same...

AmericaninQuebec

Oct 12, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
CandC2009 said:
My hubby got his for a year the first time and just got it renewed (actually the new vistor record came a day after PPR lol) until July 2013 :)
Oh wow, really? Thankfully we live 30 minutes from the border, so it's not a big deal (and I still cross monthly to go to the drugstore, etc.) that I had to have it renewed every few months. Funny how none of this information is shared the same way across the board by the government resources. ::)

egosheep

Nov 28, 2010
Thanks for the clarification about visiting while waiting for PPR... that's a relief. I have never asked for or gotten a stamp or visitor record, but I always come for 2-3 weeks at most. When I come in December I will ask for one and say I'm staying longer(3 months?). Is it OK to just tell the border guard that my application has been approved and I'm waiting on my PPR?

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi......I would specify that your spouse's application for sponsoring you for PR has been approved, not your "application" :)

egosheep said:
Thanks for the clarification about visiting while waiting for PPR... that's a relief. I have never asked for or gotten a stamp or visitor record, but I always come for 2-3 weeks at most. When I come in December I will ask for one and say I'm staying longer(3 months?). Is it OK to just tell the border guard that my application has been approved and I'm waiting on my PPR?

Morena

Star Member
Jul 2, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-02- 2011
Doc's Request.
29-03-2011
AOR Received.
13-07-2011
File Transfer...
23-03-2011
Med's Done....
21-09-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
20-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
9-11-2011
LANDED..........
Soon!!!
ddobro2 said:
I think it depends on the location. These are notoriously hard to get in the States because people are just not familiar with those dimensions, they are only familiar with the US passport dimensions and this is different....and when you give them the specs sheet, they may be reluctant to do a special size like that. I just had my husband take my photo and resized it using one of the websites that do this.
Can u tell me the website address?