to Buffalo 20-03-2012 -- to LA 08-05-02012
Med's Done....
20-12-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
08-08-2012
Belinasha said:
I emailed LA last week inquiring about our file. This is what I just got back.

Dear Applicant:

If you had a Permanent Resident file in process in Buffalo, it is in the process of being transferred to the Case Processing Pilot Office in Ottawa. If you have been requested to provide further information or documentation for your file, it is recommended that you wait for 6-8 weeks before sending this information to:

Case Processing Pilot-Ottawa
Centre de traitement pilot-Ottawa
219 Laurier Ave. West, 7th floor
219 av Laurier ouest, 7e étage
Ottawa, ON Canada K1A 1L1
6-8 weeks! They absolutely MUST have been able to better plan and handle this transition so that we, oh unfortunate ones, didn't have to pay the price! I am glad they want to change things in order to speed up the process for regular cases, but how about the ones who just so happened to apply when they did but still want the same attempts to speed things up?? They should have left all the VOs in the states open to continue what they already had, and simply stopped sending new stuff to them (and send the new stuff to Ottawa). instead all the bulk seems to be going to 2 places (Ottawa and LA) and anyone who wasn't already in process before this transition will have to wait and not know anything ??? ??? ???

Sorry for the complaining. Really, it's better for us to be in higher spirits and think positively. I still anticipate news everyday, but it gets you down when you haven't heard anything (not initiated by us first) for 3 months. and I am sure others have gone longer

blue_scomet

Jun 22, 2012
Hey there,

We filed out outbound application to Buffalo on January 31, and heard that I was eligible to sponsor my husband on April 30th and that the file was transferred to Buffalo on the same day.

I have not heard anything at all since this time so really have no clue where our application might be (it just says that his medical records have been received)

What we are concerned about is the Security FBI Clearance thingy he had to do. I think its only valid for 6 months and it surely has run out by now since we did it late last year. Has anybody ever had to re-do this?

Has anybody in January received any notification yet with good news? Is there a link I can read up on what happens after the "Passport Rec" step? (and what does rec stand for?)...Sorry, i'm not the brightest crayon in the box..

Amoss

Feb 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-01-2012
AOR Received.
10-03-2012
File Transfer...
to Buffalo 20-03-2012 -- to LA 08-05-02012
Med's Done....
20-12-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
08-08-2012
blue_scomet said:
Hey there,

We filed out outbound application to Buffalo on January 31, and heard that I was eligible to sponsor my husband on April 30th and that the file was transferred to Buffalo on the same day.

I have not heard anything at all since this time so really have no clue where our application might be (it just says that his medical records have been received)

What we are concerned about is the Security FBI Clearance thingy he had to do. I think its only valid for 6 months and it surely has run out by now since we did it late last year. Has anybody ever had to re-do this?

Has anybody in January received any notification yet with good news? Is there a link I can read up on what happens after the "Passport Rec" step? (and what does rec stand for?)...Sorry, i'm not the brightest crayon in the box..
Hi there,

welcome to be the bunch of uninformed! Well, some of us more so than others.. To answers some of your questions: yes, some people have had to redo their police record checks... on the other hand, some have not. It partly seems to depend on your agent, or perhaps your background.

Also, a few people, whose VO is in the US, have already received approval and request for passport.

On the other hand, there are plenty of people in a similar position as you. Our app was received by Mississauga on Jan 10th, sponsorship approval on March 20th, notified it went to Buffalo... and nothing since then. I emailed Buffalo back in May and got a reply that it was sent to LA on May 8th. But still nothing.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
blue_scomet said:
It is good for a year; if he is in Canada, then they can further extend it (since any issues in Canada will show up when they do the Canadian security background check).

blue_scomet said:
There is a specific thread for January folks, but it would be a bit early for that to happen, especially with the Buffalo closure. I also noticed that with yesterday's update they had extended the 80% processing time in Q1 to 12 months for Buffalo - so don't be surprised if you have to wait for many months before you hear anything else.

The "passport request" stage is when they ask for your passport OR copies of all the pages, so they can issue the confirmation of permanent residency document (COPR). The new rules (effective December 1, 2011) allow for the visa office to just request the copy of pages, not the actual passport.

This process requires patience, as difficult as it is.

kitchloo

Star Member
Apr 18, 2010
Kitchener, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My husband officially landed yesterday! We went to Port Huron, Michigan and told the border agent that we were just going to turn the car around and go back to Sarnia so that my husband could land as a permanent resident in Canada. They made us pull over, get out of the car, and then checked our passports once more. Then they told us to go ahead.

Landing in Sarnia was pretty painless. We had to take a number for immigration and waited for about an hour. Then the whole process took about 20 minutes.

We didn't export my husband's car yet because even though we already paid it in full, we are still waiting for the title. Then it's back to the border (Queenston-Lewiston), I suppose.

mapleleafs2011

Star Member
Oct 19, 2010
kitchloo said:
My husband officially landed yesterday! We went to Port Huron, Michigan and told the border agent that we were just going to turn the car around and go back to Sarnia so that my husband could land as a permanent resident in Canada. They made us pull over, get out of the car, and then checked our passports once more. Then they told us to go ahead.

Landing in Sarnia was pretty painless. We had to take a number for immigration and waited for about an hour. Then the whole process took about 20 minutes.

We didn't export my husband's car yet because even though we already paid it in full, we are still waiting for the title. Then it's back to the border (Queenston-Lewiston), I suppose.
So is his car still in the US? If not, how do you guys deal with insurance?

Also, can someone tell me the email for Ottawa? I've been approved as a sponsor but I'm not sure where our application was transferred to.

Thanks!

kitchloo

Star Member
Apr 18, 2010
Kitchener, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mapleleafs2011 said:
So is his car still in the US? If not, how do you guys deal with insurance?
No, his car is here. My husband had a work permit so it was already plated and insured in Ontario. We just have to export it from the US. We wanted to do it when he landed, but unfortunately it's going to take weeks to get the title and we couldn't afford to wait. We've waited long enough! My husband needed a permanent Social Insurance Number asap, and got it yesterday.

leodr

Feb 15, 2011
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
We had a baby girl recently in Ontario and are trying to get her birth certificate made for her as soon as possible so that my wife can come back with the baby to usa but they are taking their time. Is there anything that can be done to speed things up. Also do u know if they do expedited passport service for newborns?
Also if somebody has applied for canadian passport, I'm in the usa and my wife is in Canada. Do u foresee any issues with getting baby's passport due to that?

Thanks.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
leodr said:
We had a baby girl recently in Ontario and are trying to get her birth certificate made for her as soon as possible so that my wife can come back with the baby to usa but they are taking their time. Is there anything that can be done to speed things up. Also do u know if they do expedited passport service for newborns?
Also if somebody has applied for canadian passport, I'm in the usa and my wife is in Canada. Do u foresee any issues with getting baby's passport due to that?

Thanks.
Have her go to the passport office near her to get overnight service.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
leodr said:

Thanks.
If one of you is a US Citizen, you should obtain US paperwork (legally, a US citizen must use a US passport to enter the United States.) See http://travel.state.gov/law/family_issues/birth/birth_593.html for information on this process (if it applies to you).

leodr

Feb 15, 2011
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks OhCanadiana and computer geek.

She will head out to the passport office and get this taken care of.

mapleleafs2011

Star Member
Oct 19, 2010
Got some activity going on. Document request. Police clearance for country of birth. I'm not sure why but for some reason I thought my wife wouldn't require it as she moved out of the country when she was 18.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mapleleafs2011 said:
Got some activity going on. Document request. Police clearance for country of birth. I'm not sure why but for some reason I thought my wife wouldn't require it as she moved out of the country when she was 18.
Glad to hear there was movement :)

If she was there more than 6 months after turning 18 she'll need it for most countries (there's some that require it after 16).

mapleleafs2011

Star Member
Oct 19, 2010
Can anyone comment on this?
All documents must be accompanied by English or French translations. When original documents are requested, notarised documents are not acceptable.
I assume the certificate will be in a foreign language... the email says it must be accompanied by an english or french translation.. but it says don't get the documents notarized?

Isn't that an official translation by a reputable person? (ie. public servant, lawyer, etc..)

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mapleleafs2011 said:
Can anyone comment on this?
I assume the certificate will be in a foreign language... the email says it must be accompanied by an english or french translation.. but it says don't get the documents notarized?

Isn't that an official translation by a reputable person? (ie. public servant, lawyer, etc..)
You need to submit the original police certificate and a translation by an accredited translator:

"The certificate must have been issued no more than three months prior to submitting your application. If the original certificate is not in English or French, then you will need to submit both the certificate and the original copy of the translation prepared by an accredited translator."
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/3999Etoc.asp