31-05-2012
Med's Done....
13-12-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10/10/2012
JimM said:
Well they said it included filling and landing fees, and they're $1040, so it's only about $1000 more. My wife and I also hired Mr Cohen and we've been very happy with him and his staff.
So your paying the fees + 1000$??? Or the fees +2000$?

bbiery

Star Member
Aug 7, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-10-2011
Doc's Request.
5-3-2012
AOR Received.
20-12-2011
Med's Request
08-03-2012
Med's Done....
20-09-2011
Passport Req..
26-04-2012/Decision Made 14-05-2012
OhCanadiana said:
What all documents should I bring to land? I dont have any possessions landing with me and only a few to follow so I know I need a b4a, but what else?

COPR
Passport
Address where they should send your PR card (easiest if you have it on a slip of paper)
B4 and B4A (start with the B4 form which contains your bio data and overflow into the B4A and just check the 'goods to follow' box on each page). Take two copies if you can so that they don't have to do it for you.
Camera to capture the moment for posterity :)
Think that's it :)
Thanks, I have all of that ready to go now. This whole process has made me extremely paranoid about missing small details so its helpful to confirm that I didn't miss anything. Going to land tomorrow, hope everyone follows me soon, we all have had to wait way too long for this. :)

Occasita

Star Member
May 5, 2012
Winnipeg
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-05-2012
AOR Received.
20-07-2012
File Transfer...
30-07-2012
Med's Done....
31-05-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
18-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
13-02-2013
LANDED..........
16-02-2013
I'm curious how landing works if your already in Canada, do you have to Flagpole?

oreidapennsyltucky

Star Member
May 23, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 13, 2011
AOR Received.
Nov. 23, 2011
Med's Done....
June 14, 2011
Passport Req..
May 1, 2012
Hello all!

I'm in the final stages of immigration and I'm starting to worry about a few details. Any information would be wonderful!

I received my PPR on May 1 and sent it immidiately. Buffalo received it on May 3. I have not received my COPR yet and am worried because I had my medicals done on June 14, 2011. I have not given notice at my job, but would need to give at least two-weeks, if not a month. Does anyone have any information about how much time I'll likely be given to move?

Right now I'm planning on driving to Canada, but my car is still financed. Does anyone know if I'm required to have paid off my vehicle?

Thanks!

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
oreidapennsyltucky said:
Hello all!

I'm in the final stages of immigration and I'm starting to worry about a few details. Any information would be wonderful!

I received my PPR on May 1 and sent it immidiately. Buffalo received it on May 3. I have not received my COPR yet and am worried because I had my medicals done on June 14, 2011. I have not given notice at my job, but would need to give at least two-weeks, if not a month. Does anyone have any information about how much time I'll likely be given to move?

Right now I'm planning on driving to Canada, but my car is still financed. Does anyone know if I'm required to have paid off my vehicle?

Thanks!
I can only answer the car part. Unless you can convince the bank to give you to title, yes you will have to pay it off because you need the title for insurance, plus to import your car. My husband's car is financed too, and the bank told us there's no way in heck they were giving us the title unless he pays it off. Sigh.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Occasita said:
I'm curious how landing works if your already in Canada, do you have to Flagpole?
You can either flagpole or make an appointment to land inland at a CIC office. If you are near the border, flagpoling is faster (folks have reported appointments were offered 10 weeks out to land at inland CIC offices)

Occasita

Star Member
May 5, 2012
Winnipeg
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-05-2012
AOR Received.
20-07-2012
File Transfer...
30-07-2012
Med's Done....
31-05-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
18-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
13-02-2013
LANDED..........
16-02-2013
OhCanadiana said:
You can either flagpole or make an appointment to land inland at a CIC office. If you are near the border, flagpoling is faster (folks have reported appointments were offered 10 weeks out to land at inland CIC offices)
Ahhh, I see. I am 45 min from the border, so def. flagpole.

Jenny parsely

Star Member
Feb 2, 2012
Hi

I want to know about health card benefits in canada. I am pregnant and want to know if I land in toronto and once my health card is activated after 3 months of landing, will I be eligible for my pregancy benefits? I mean will I be able to avail free pregancy benefits?

Please advise

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Jenny parsely said:
Hi

I want to know about health card benefits in canada. I am pregnant and want to know if I land in toronto and once my health card is activated after 3 months of landing, will I be eligible for my pregancy benefits? I mean will I be able to avail free pregancy benefits?

Please advise
Yes, you'll have full coverage but only after the 3 month waiting period (which you allude to)

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
oreidapennsyltucky said:
Hello all!

Thanks!
The COPR should be June 14 of this year unless they've extended your medical. Often times they indicate what the expiration date will be on the PPR - have you double checked it?

Where do you live? Is it feasible for you to land and then head back to finish wrapping things up if they were to give you just a couple weeks?

On the car, as parker24 said, you'll need to see if your title-holder agrees to allowing you to move (they often don't as it would be much harder for them to get their money back if the car is no longer in the US and you were to not continue paying off the loan so the rule makers simply avoid that risk)

oreidapennsyltucky

Star Member
May 23, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept. 13, 2011
AOR Received.
Nov. 23, 2011
Med's Done....
June 14, 2011
Passport Req..
May 1, 2012
OhCanadiana said:
The COPR should be June 14 of this year unless they've extended your medical. Often times they indicate what the expiration date will be on the PPR - have you double checked it?

Where do you live? Is it feasible for you to land and then head back to finish wrapping things up if they were to give you just a couple weeks?

On the car, as parker24 said, you'll need to see if your title-holder agrees to allowing you to move (they often don't as it would be much harder for them to get their money back if the car is no longer in the US and you were to not continue paying off the loan so the rule makers simply avoid that risk)
Yeah, my PPR doesn't include a date.

I could land and then wrap things up, I'm just worried because it's cutting it close now for me to even be able to take vacation time since I live about nine hours from the border and my job is somewhat inflexible.

I hadn't really thought about landing and then returning to get everything together. Is the process any different?

Thanks for the advice!

bbiery

Star Member
Aug 7, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-10-2011
Doc's Request.
5-3-2012
AOR Received.
20-12-2011
Med's Request
08-03-2012
Med's Done....
20-09-2011
Passport Req..
26-04-2012/Decision Made 14-05-2012
oreidapennsyltucky said:
Hello all!

Thanks!
Mine reached the office April 26th and I just got it back today just for reference.

mapleleafs2011

Star Member
Oct 19, 2010
Jenny parsely said:
Hi

Please advise
Can anyone comment what kind of social benefits would be available to her? I guess maternity leave would not be as she hasn't been employed yet. I will most likely be in the same boat (with my wife) when she lands.

cgagnon

Nov 10, 2011
Montreal,QC
Category........
Visa Office......
LA(Buffalo)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-03-2012
AOR Received.
None
File Transfer...
31-05-2012
Med's Done....
13-12-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10/10/2012
mapleleafs2011 said:
Can anyone comment what kind of social benefits would be available to her? I guess maternity leave would not be as she hasn't been employed yet. I will most likely be in the same boat (with my wife) when she lands.
For maternity or parental benefits You may be eligible to receive EI maternity or parental benefits if:
•you have paid EI premiums;
•you meet the specific criteria for receiving EI maternity or parental benefits;
•your normal weekly earnings are reduced by more than 40%; and
•you have accumulated at least 600 hours of insurable employment during the qualifying period or, if you are a self-employed fisher, you have earned enough money during the qualifying period.

But the spouse who has been in canada and has 600 hrs is eligible to take the paternity leave andthe parental

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/ei/types/maternity_parental.shtml#eligible

that is the link with all the information, as for child tax benefits that will depend on the household income.

Here is the link for the CCTB and UCCB. http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/bnfts/menu-eng.html

Those are both child and family benefits.
All hospital cost will be covered under medicare for a shared room but if the spouse has private insurance you may get a semi-private or private room.

Hope this helps!