Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It might, I don't have the stats to know for sure. It makes sense that it would take a bit longer (maybe a week) if it's not a direct shot to Buffalo. If they give you the other option to send directly to Buffalo, you might choose to do that if it's more worth it to you to have the visa returned promptly. If I had PPR, the clock would stop ticking at that point and I wouldn't mind waiting a little extra having waited months and months, but that's totally just me.
doctorkb said:
Right, but is there any truth to the rumour that it takes longer that way? I understood they only check that box once a week or thereabouts.

jayde

Feb 18, 2010
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-3-2011
File Transfer...
03-05-2011
Med's Done....
03-01-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
27-10-2011
LANDED..........
04-11-2011 WOO HOO!!!
doctorkb said:
Right, but is there any truth to the rumour that it takes longer that way? I understood they only check that box once a week or thereabouts.
We sent ours to Fort Erie because the instructions were pretty clear that if you're in Canada, then it should go there. We sent it by XpressPost (as they can deliver to a PO Box) and it arrived two days earlier than we had thought it would. We included a pre-paid return xpresspost envelope and we are just waiting for the tracker to be enabled. It's been about a week.

I was worried it'd take alittle longer too, but I'd rather it take a few days longer than worry about what happens if I didn't follow the instructions lol.

Let me know what you do and how long it takes. and CONGRATULATIONS :)

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
From my understanding, the BFDs are going to typically affect people who had document requests from the visa office at some time during the processing. When Buffalo sends you a request for something new they say to provide it within xx number of days, and this pretty much coincides with the next bring forward date.
I do believe that if they receive information from you before the BFD, they will go back to the file and assess it, but if they come to the BFD and they have no new information, they will just log a new BFD.
Eddy070 said:
Do buffalo always keep to there bring forward date bcos the waiting is really frustrating!! Hope we all hear some good news this week bcos Christmas is just around the corner. Damn it!!

AmericaninQuebec

Oct 12, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
jayde said:
We sent ours to Fort Erie because the instructions were pretty clear that if you're in Canada, then it should go there. We sent it by XpressPost (as they can deliver to a PO Box) and it arrived two days earlier than we had thought it would. We included a pre-paid return xpresspost envelope and we are just waiting for the tracker to be enabled. It's been about a week.

I was worried it'd take alittle longer too, but I'd rather it take a few days longer than worry about what happens if I didn't follow the instructions lol.

Let me know what you do and how long it takes. and CONGRATULATIONS :)
Just curious, as I'm not at this stage yet, but can you go to the border to do this instead of mailing the passport? We are in Quebec and live about 30 minutes from a major border crossing. Last time I had my visitor pass renewed the immigration officer mentioned that when I come through to "land" with my permanent residency paperwork it won't take more than 10 or 15 minutes to process. I should have asked for clarification, but at the time I assumed that meant once we got paperwork informing us that my application had been approved that I could take all of my paperwork to the border and receive my visa there. Is that not an option?

jayde

Feb 18, 2010
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-3-2011
File Transfer...
03-05-2011
Med's Done....
03-01-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
27-10-2011
LANDED..........
04-11-2011 WOO HOO!!!
AmericaninQuebec said:
Just curious, as I'm not at this stage yet, but can you go to the border to do this instead of mailing the passport? We are in Quebec and live about 30 minutes from a major border crossing. Last time I had my visitor pass renewed the immigration officer mentioned that when I come through to "land" with my permanent residency paperwork it won't take more than 10 or 15 minutes to process. I should have asked for clarification, but at the time I assumed that meant once we got paperwork informing us that my application had been approved that I could take all of my paperwork to the border and receive my visa there. Is that not an option?
You have to send your passport (or take it to) the visa office when they request it. They will stamp it with your COPR (Confirmation of Permanent Residency) and send/give it back to you. You will then be able to "land" and you will have to land before your COPR expires (generally a month I think).

So yes, you can land at a border crossing, but prior to that, you will have to submit your passport either in person or by mail to Buffalo. If you are IN canada, you will send it to Fort Erie if you can't make the trip to Buffalo in person.

Hope that explains it :)

AmericaninQuebec

Oct 12, 2011
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
11-01-2012
jayde said:
Hope that explains it :)
It does. Thanks! Now if only the request for my passport would come. :-X

argenta

May 18, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
BUFF/NYC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-11-2010
AOR Received.
19-01-2011
File Transfer...
11-01-2011
Passport Req..
05-10-2011
We just got the visa this morning by Canada Post from NY - it took 2.5 weeks to process. Hopefully this means yours should be coming soon.

francohoosier said:
Can anyone out there give me an accurate idea of how long it takes New York to return passports after PPR? I'm at T-2 weeks till I have to go back to the states and getting kinda nervous! If worse comes to worse and I can't get it before I leave, will US customs let me through if I provide things like the original of my US birth certificate and my PPR letter proving why my passport is gone? :eek:

francohoosier

Star Member
Jun 25, 2011
Montréal
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-02-2011
AOR Received.
13-07-2011
File Transfer...
10-03-2011
Med's Done....
21-01-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
4-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
14-10-2011
LANDED..........
12-11-2011
Thanks! I sent mine out the day before you, so I guess it should pop up any day now! :D

gypsy494

Star Member
Apr 27, 2010
Kingston
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-11-2011
AOR Received.
08-11-2011
File Transfer...
24-01-2012
Med's Done....
12-10-2011
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
21-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
23-04-2012
LANDED..........
24-04-2012
Getting ready to send mine in FINALLY ;D BUFFALO where I come :p
Quick question about paying fees...my husband has only a limit of 1000 so was thinking of paying two FEES then the other in a month.
Which 2 should I pay first?
Should I just buy a prepayed credit card and pay all at once.
(family class spouse)

Thanks in advance for your help

ps I ordered forms to pay at bank BUT never received them....been 3 weeks and I just want to get this in the mail and started.

S T R E S S

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You have to pay the $75 fee for processing the sponsorship part of the application, which is the first stage, done at Case Processing Centre-Mississauga. I would also think that Buffalo would appreciate having the $475 fee for the Principal Applicant to begin processing the rest of the application (there are fees for additional people being sponsored, but I doubt this applies to your file). I would even recommend paying the $490 fee for landing (Right of Permanent Residence Fee) alongside the other two fees at the beginning, if avoiding any and all possible delays is important to you.

But yes, you can certainly wait to pay the RPRF. The short answer to your question is pay the $75 and $475 first.

I don't know about the prepaid credit cards. If you pay online with a valid Visa, Mastercard, or American Express, I think it should be fine. You'll also need PDF reader installed to see the receipt and a printer to print it off (I'm sure you totally know this already though, but wanted to mention it just in case). I would recommend not paying at a bank, especially since it looks like that would delay you waiting for those forms.

gypsy494 said:
Quick question about paying fees...my husband has only a limit of 1000 so was thinking of paying two FEES then the other in a month.
(family class spouse)

ps I ordered forms to pay at bank BUT never received them....been 3 weeks and I just want to get this in the mail and started.

S T R E S S

gypsy494

Star Member
Apr 27, 2010
Kingston
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-11-2011
AOR Received.
08-11-2011
File Transfer...
24-01-2012
Med's Done....
12-10-2011
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
21-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
23-04-2012
LANDED..........
24-04-2012
Thank you ddobro2 ;D

Morena

Star Member
Jul 2, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-02- 2011
Doc's Request.
29-03-2011
AOR Received.
13-07-2011
File Transfer...
23-03-2011
Med's Done....
21-09-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
20-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
9-11-2011
LANDED..........
Soon!!!
gypsy494 said:
(family class spouse)

S T R E S S
All together is $1040 i think...i will recommend that if you can do it in advance with your application. Paying the RFPR afeter can add 1 upt to 2 months to the process

jayde

Feb 18, 2010
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-3-2011
File Transfer...
03-05-2011
Med's Done....
03-01-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-10-2011
VISA ISSUED...
27-10-2011
LANDED..........
04-11-2011 WOO HOO!!!
Morena said:
All together is $1040 i think...i will recommend that if you can do it in advance with your application. Paying the RFPR afeter can add 1 upt to 2 months to the process
Agreed... if you have the means to pay (by prepaid credit card) the entire amount, all at once, it will definitely avoid confusion and delays later on.

My philosophy is, don't give them any additional reason to lose something... because they already have enough of your personal information that they are juggling. So many people have issues with them finding their payment, even if they do it normally, I'd be worried about splitting up the payment unless I absolutely had to.

Eddy070

Apr 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can add this too...Paying at the bank is optional but i will say you should use the online payment method so it goes into there computer system and its alot safer..

g-man

Star Member
May 15, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> Seattle
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-10-2011
AOR Received.
24-01-2012
File Transfer...
09-01-2012 (22-02-2012 Seattle)
Med's Done....
19-07-2011
Passport Req..
12-04-2012
LANDED..........
01-07-2012 (Canada Day!!)
Well finally going to get my outland app sent in today! Spent a lot of time compiling it, waiting for FBI clearance, Option C for spouse, etc. so hopefully I have enough evidence to not delay the process and/or need an interview!

What's the consensus on current average processing times for spousal? Hopefully no more than the 6-8 months that the site lists, because I'm tired of my career being on hold. :(