+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thread for April 2010 Sponsorship Applications!!!

rollinsc

Aug 16, 2009
I just sent my immigration documents out for my peruvian husband last week (April 8th, 2010) and arrived at immigrations in Missasagua on Monday April 12th.

Has anyone else sent out their documents this month? I really hope I have everything correct, I organized things as thoroughly as possible. I am very nervous because a friend who works for immigrations and has done the papers before says I may not be accepted, or I may have to go in for an interview because I do not meet the minimal necessary income. But I am aware that I do not need to meet the minimal necessary income because I am only sponsoring my husband, and neither of us have dependent children. She is worried because I am only 22 (turing 23 this year) and because of my age, and because I have been a student, they will doubt my ablility to withhold the sponsorship agreement (i.e providing him with food, shelter, medical, etc.). I have been a student (off-and-on) within the past few years (because of the relationship I have had with my (then)boyfriend... I went to live there for months on end to be with him since he could not get into Canada until we finally decided to get married). I have held a job since the age of 14 and never been unemployed for more than a month.

What are all your opinions on this? I am so nervous and scared that they will reject my application for me being a sponsor... making it more difficult for us to be together, even now that we are married.

beantown

Mar 30, 2010
My sponsorship application for my American husband was received in Mississauga on April 6, 2010, and it's not showing up yet on the online CAS system. Anyone know approx how long it takes to get an acknowledgment that your application has been received? I am in the U.S., applying from here. thanks in advance.

nez

Apr 14, 2010
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2010-04-12
File Transfer...
2010-05-17
Interview........
Not Applicable
Passport Req..
2010-07-23
VISA ISSUED...
2010-08-02
My application to sponsor my wife arrived at the Mississauga office on April 12, 2010 (according to Canada post). Now the waiting game begins. We sent all the required documents along with pictures, passport stamps and flight information for the 5 times I've been to Brazil in the last year. Also the same for when she came to Canada in December 2009 and our wedding in March 2010 so hopefully there will be no issues with verification of our relationship.

Process times: I read somewhere on CIC that it can take up to 54 days to process the sponsorship application, but I also read another person getting approved in 30 days.

CIC office: Mississauga, ON
CIC International office: São Paulo, Brazil.

Good luck everyone!!

Nez.

MexiCana

Star Member
Mar 7, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-04-2010
Doc's Request.
05-10-2010
AOR Received.
11-06-2010
File Transfer...
17-05-2010
Med's Done....
17-02-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
18-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
22-02-2011
LANDED..........
22-02-2011
Just to let you know, there is already a thread for April 2010 applications here: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/thread-for-applications-sent-april-2010-t38570.0.html

rollinsc, if you meet the requirements and you have submitted adequate proof of your relationship, I am confident you'll be accepted. It's very nerve wracking isn't it? I am also extremely worried despite the fact that I know I put together a thorough and well-organized application and meet all the requirements. It's a scary process.

Regarding speaking to people socially who happen to work for CIC, perhaps take their advice with a grain of salt. If that person doesn't deal with sponsorships they may not actually know all of the rules. I was at a party with an employee of CIC a long time ago -back when my partner and I were exploring trying to get him a new work permit instead of sponsorship as we were hoping it would be faster (in our case it wasn't). Anyway, this very well meaning person gave us totally incorrect information about when one can obtain an open work permit.

rollinsc

Aug 16, 2009
Thank you MexiCana, it is really nerve racking... especially since its such a waiting game. Just hearing a response like yours makes me feel a lot more comfortable. I hope everything is going well with your application too!