04-03-2015
Passport Req..
29-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
11-05-2015
LANDED..........
16-05-2015
Hi

I am an indian citizen holding canadian PR. I will be eligible to apply for canada citizenship in 7 months. I want to change my first name.

So will it be easy to change name before citizenship or after citizenship. Please guide me. What the best way?

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
ganapathi said:
Hi

I am an indian citizen holding canadian PR. I will be eligible to apply for canada citizenship in 7 months. I want to change my first name.

So will it be easy to change name before citizenship or after citizenship. Please guide me. What the best way?
What's the province you live in?

ganapathi

Jan 30, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-04-2014
AOR Received.
29-05-2014
Med's Request
10-02-2015
Med's Done....
04-03-2015
Passport Req..
29-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
11-05-2015
LANDED..........
16-05-2015

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
http://www.publications.gov.sk.ca/details.cfm?p=10478

or

https://www.crcvc.ca/docs/How%20do%20I%20change%20my%20name.pdf

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
ganapathi said:
saskatchewan
I am from BC and know the process for name change. Please check with the appropriate authorities in Saskatchewan to check the complete process of legal name change
I suppose 7 months should be enough for getting your name changed and getting your IDs changed.

There are two options I can think for you:

1. Change name now (i don't know how much time it will take in Saskatchewan for name change process) and once you get your name change certificate then get all your IDs changed like your drivers licence, health card, sin card, credit cards, bank accounts etc and also the PR card (PR card is 71 days processing time for replacement). The whole process will take months. Then apply citizenship with your new name.

2. Change the name after getting citizenship. There is a catch though. If you change your name after getting the citizenship, you would have to reapply for citizenship certificate with the new name. There is 5 months waiting for replacement citizenship certificate.
Please check the following link:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/passport/apply/name-change.asp
Once you get your citizenship certificate with new name, then you can apply for passport with new name.

Now it is up to you how you want to proceed.

ambient2

May 30, 2015
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1169&top=5
Check the second sentence. If you change your name before applying, you might fall under non-routine case.

However, if you do it after you get your citizenship, then you would need to reapply for new citizenship certificate.

ganapathi

Jan 30, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-04-2014
AOR Received.
29-05-2014
Med's Request
10-02-2015
Med's Done....
04-03-2015
Passport Req..
29-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
11-05-2015
LANDED..........
16-05-2015
thecoolguysam said:
I am from BC and know the process for name change. Please check with the appropriate authorities in Saskatchewan to check the complete process of legal name change
I suppose 7 months should be enough for getting your name changed and getting your IDs changed.

There are two options I can think for you:

1. Change name now (i don't know how much time it will take in Saskatchewan for name change process) and once you get your name change certificate then get all your IDs changed like your drivers licence, health card, sin card, credit cards, bank accounts etc and also the PR card (PR card is 71 days processing time for replacement). The whole process will take months. Then apply citizenship with your new name.

2. Change the name after getting citizenship. There is a catch though. If you change your name after getting the citizenship, you would have to reapply for citizenship certificate with the new name. There is 5 months waiting for replacement citizenship certificate.
Please check the following link:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/passport/apply/name-change.asp
Once you get your citizenship certificate with new name, then you can apply for passport with new name.

Now it is up to you how you want to proceed.
Hi

If i go with option 1. getting a change name certificate from Saskatchewan is enough for changing ids here or should i bring any certificate from India.Moreover i should apply for Indian passport with new name. So saskatchewan name change certificate should be sufficient for applying indian passport.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
ganapathi said:
Hi

If i go with option 1. getting a change name certificate from Saskatchewan is enough for changing ids here or should i bring any certificate from India.Moreover i should apply for Indian passport with new name. So saskatchewan name change certificate should be sufficient for applying indian passport.
Seems some work to be done in India as well.
http://www.cgitoronto.ca/content/miscellaneous-services
For change in name( other than woman changing surname after marriage) : (a) prescribed Deed Poll/Sworn Affidavit (Annexure "E") and (b) Original newspaper cuttings announcing the change of name published in two leading daily newspapers ( one popular daily newspaper in the area of the applicant's present address ( in Canada) and another at his permanent address in India).

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
ganapathi said:
Hi

For changing name in Indian passport you need to go through BLS international's website : http://www.blsindia-canada.com/
They may not accept your Canadian Legal Name Change Certificate. You would need to get affidavit for name change and newspaper advertisements in India. Check the link mentioned above.

As far as I know, Canadian Legal name change certificate would be sufficient to change Canadian IDs like, PR card, drivers licence, health card, credit cards, bank accounts etc.

I will tell you my story.

I went for legal name change in Canada after arriving here in 2011. I applied for name in change in 2012. Once i received my legal name change certificate, I went to get my drivers licence, health card, sin card, bank accounts, credit cards, pr card changed to to my new name by using the canadian name change certificate.
Then I went to BLS and applied name change on my Indian passport and got newspaper ads published in india and made affidavits. Then i got my indian passport renewed with my new name.

I applied for citizenship in 2014 with my new name because all my ids were already updated with my new name before applying for citizenship.

ganapathi

Jan 30, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-04-2014
AOR Received.
29-05-2014
Med's Request
10-02-2015
Med's Done....
04-03-2015
Passport Req..
29-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
11-05-2015
LANDED..........
16-05-2015
thecoolguysam said:
For changing name in Indian passport you need to go through BLS international's website : http://www.blsindia-canada.com/
They may not accept your Canadian Legal Name Change Certificate. You would need to get affidavit for name change and newspaper advertisements in India. Check the link mentioned above.

As far as I know, Canadian Legal name change certificate would be sufficient to change Canadian IDs like, PR card, drivers licence, health card, credit cards, bank accounts etc.

I will tell you my story.

I went for legal name change in Canada after arriving here in 2011. I applied for name in change in 2012. Once i received my legal name change certificate, I went to get my drivers licence, health card, sin card, bank accounts, credit cards, pr card changed to to my new name by using the canadian name change certificate.
Then I went to BLS and applied name change on my Indian passport and got newspaper ads published in india and made affidavits. Then i got my indian passport renewed with my new name.

I applied for citizenship in 2014 with my new name because all my ids were already updated with my new name before applying for citizenship.
So affidavit and newspapers ad should be sufficient from india to get new indian passport. There is no name certificate issued from india. So using your new passport did you change all the ids in india to new name.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
ganapathi said:
So affidavit and newspapers ad should be sufficient from india to get new indian passport. There is no name certificate issued from india. So using your new passport did you change all the ids in india to new name.
You need to go through the complete details about changing name on BLS website and newpaper ads and affidavits will serve to change your name on passport only.

There is no name certificate issued from India.

I just changed my name of my Indian Passport and never found a need to change name on any other indian IDs. What Indian IDs are you referring to? Like PAN card, Aadhar card etc or what?

ganapathi

Jan 30, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-04-2014
AOR Received.
29-05-2014
Med's Request
10-02-2015
Med's Done....
04-03-2015
Passport Req..
29-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
11-05-2015
LANDED..........
16-05-2015
thecoolguysam said:
You need to go through the complete details about changing name on BLS website and newpaper ads and affidavits will serve to change your name on passport only.

There is no name certificate issued from India.

I just changed my name of my Indian Passport and never found a need to change name on any other indian IDs. What Indian IDs are you referring to? Like PAN card, Aadhar card etc or what?
I have properties in india on my name. My Lics,school,college certificates etc. Bank accounts in india. Moreover after getting citizenship i want to move to USA. So just want to make sure that name change shouldnt be any problem for me in canada,india and USA.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
ganapathi said:
I have properties in india on my name. My Lics,school,college certificates etc. Bank accounts in india. Moreover after getting citizenship i want to move to USA. So just want to make sure that name change shouldnt be any problem for me in canada,india and USA.
I think you need to go through their respective procedures to update your name regarding your properties, bank accounts etc.

I never changed my name on my school, college, university certificates. Although in my case, I just added a surname. My given name remains the same since birth.

ganapathi

Jan 30, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-04-2014
AOR Received.
29-05-2014
Med's Request
10-02-2015
Med's Done....
04-03-2015
Passport Req..
29-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
11-05-2015
LANDED..........
16-05-2015
thecoolguysam said:
I think you need to go through their respective procedures to update your name regarding your properties, bank accounts etc.

I never changed my name on my school, college, university certificates. Although in my case, I just added a surname. My given name remains the same since birth.
Thanks a lot for your guidance.
Can you say me how many months did it take for the entire process.

applying name change certificate to getting news ids and new india passport

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
ganapathi said:
Thanks a lot for your guidance.
Can you say me how many months did it take for the entire process.

applying name change certificate to getting news ids and new india passport
I live in BC and I applied i think in January and by June i had all my IDs changed including PR card, indian passport, drivers license, health card, credit cards etc etc.

Approximately 6 months I can say.