+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thoughts on likelihood of approval? Inviting Nicaraguan boyfriend...

Jan 18, 2015
Hi all!

Well, I'm new to this process, so forgive any ignorance, all suggestions and information much appreciated!

I am planning to invite my boyfriend of 8 months, who is Nicaraguan, to visit me in Canada. Ideally we'd like as much time as possible for him to be here, but I recognize it may be better, in terms of getting approval, to seek a short visit.

I will be offering to shoulder his costs - room, board, flight, etc.

I don't have much saved, but have good credit, and a well paying job, with steady monthly income.

He likely has nothing in the bank. I suppose my question is, with nothing in the bank, despite my offers of help, will his lack of money likely lead to refusal?

Any other advice much appreciated.

With thanks.

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
Canadianchica81 said:
Well, I'm new to this process, so forgive any ignorance
No need to forgive anything. First read throughly through this forum. There are plenty of cases like yours. Some might be of help, and you won't be so "ignorant".

Canadianchica81 said:
I will be offering to shoulder his costs - room, board, flight, etc.
If you read the threads in the forum you will see that this is of little help. He has to show that he is able to sustain himself, that he has no need/desire to immigrate and that he has reasons to go back to his country (TRVs are for countries which citizens are thought to want to immigrate).

Canadianchica81 said:
He likely has nothing in the bank. I suppose my question is, with nothing in the bank, despite my offers of help, will his lack of money likely lead to refusal?
Yes.

Although this is not determinant he has to show CIC he 1) doesn't have a reason to stay in Canada (which he has: you) 2) he has the economic means to survive by himself in Canada (before your sponsorship). Tackel those two and you might succeed.

Jan 18, 2015
Your kind and thoughtful response is much appreciated... I have had a read through a variety of posts and other sites but, perhaps, was thinking wishfully.

From what I'm seeing, even if I were to put the money in his account and let it sit for four months (to provide three statements) there are potential issues with interviews etc. and issue with his savings being borrowed. He's a civil servant at a university for 9 years, but, in Nicaragua, despite this being a respected job, this is not going to allow him to save much...

Are there any other workarounds? Or do I resign that we are unlikely to get him a visitor's visa?

His ties include his 9 year civil service position and elderly grandmother (mom, sister, brother, god daughter), he rents... He is allowed a max 1 year leave from work, with ability to return...

Thanks again for your consideration. I'm likely the millionth to say.. but, wow, is this tougher than I thought! So sad when love and family are in the mix.

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
Canadianchica81 said:
From what I'm seeing, even if I were to put the money in his account and let it sit for four months (to provide three statements) there are potential issues with interviews etc. and issue with his savings being borrowed. He's a civil servant at a university for 9 years, but, in Nicaragua, despite this being a respected job, this is not going to allow him to save much...
This is a strong tie to Nicaragua that can help him get the TRV.

If the deposited money is too much to make sense suspicion might arise on how he managed to get those savings regardless of the three statements.

I think there is a chance if he has other ties like his job. Read thoroughly other cases for central american foes and see what they submitted to get their TRVs.

queenpies

Jan 18, 2015
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC - Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11 Apr 2014
AOR Received.
07 Aug 2014 (OPW APR: 09 Jan 2015)
Hello,

You can always write a letter, signed and confirm that you are going to shoulder all the costs throughout his entire stay. Like what you said, you have a well paying job with steady monthly income. It would be a good idea, I suppose you already are, to wait for him at the airport for his arrival.

Things you will need to support your income verification:

1. Pay stubs (3 months' worth).

2. Income verification letter from employer.

3. If you want, you can include your bank statement. But this is optional.

4. Letter to vouch that your boyfriend's costs of staying would be entirely provided by you.

This is the site for proof of financial support for a visitor visa: cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/visa/intake/proof.asp

Personally, I really don't think any drastic action would help any visa application. Like what you said, transferring money to him and let it sit in the account for a few months. Your boyfriend main concern is how would he convince the CBSA officer that he is a genuine visitor and he will NOT be working in Canada illegally or have plans to be an illegal immigrant. Pay stubs, income verification and a letter from you is ample enough.

If he gets pulled into secondary inspection, then you might be called up or CBSA officer might go into the arrival hall to search for you to come for an interview.

So, all in all, just be truthful and genuine. Don't lie.

Good luck!

Jan 18, 2015
Many thanks on these thoughtful replies. I was feeling pretty discouraged I must say... But, I am starting to feel more hopeful!

I think we will probably go forward with an application wherein we underscore his ties to Nicaragua (i.e., cares for his elderly grandma, his godson, mom, brother, sister, and 9 years of employment at the university, a government position). I think we will begin by not including his bank statements.

I imagine in his employment letter this needs to include his monthly pay, this probably won't serve us too well, but I will ensure the letter reflects he has a week's vacation for the dates and will provide the purchased flight confirmation itinerary.

I will provide my previous 3 months pay stubs, income verification letter from my employer (I actually don't have much saved so will skip the bank account statements). On the plus I do make a good monthly take-home... And I will provide my letter of invitation, underscoring that I will provide for everything.

Jalex23 said:
Read thoroughly other cases for central american foes and see what they submitted to get their TRVs.
Jalex, where might I found cases and what does foes mean? Thank you!! Nancy